PDA

View Full Version : Changing ignition wiring/spark plugs

AutoM3otives
01-17-2005, 07:46 AM
purchased my wires and plugs, just waiting for them to arrive.

in the meantime, is there any online diy tutorial on how to change the ignition wires. already found info on the spark plugs.

anything needed to be removed to gain access to the wires? already opened up the cover and can see the wire routing, but looks like you need tiny fingers to truely access them behind and under the block.

also, after changing wires, will anything else need to be checked? timing? uhh.. wat else?

any help would be greatly appreciated.

many thanks.

ryan

1996 328ti
01-17-2005, 01:55 PM
Have you seen this page (http://www.unofficialbmw.com/e36/engine/e36_318ti_replace_spark_plugs.html)?
There are no adjustments that need to be made.

BMWDRIFTER
01-17-2005, 02:25 PM
if you bought the oem set they will come already installed in the plastic guides. All you do is loosen the two 10mm bolts on the valve cover and slide the whole thing up.

mrnine
01-17-2005, 05:50 PM
I've considered replacing my plug wires the next time I change my plugs. I've heard that worn plug wires can contribute to the kind of feedback I'm experiencing in my audio system. I get a lightly audible hum that changes with the engine's rpms.

At what interval should one consider replacement? I'm at around 110k. If I were to do this, is there really any reason to go with something like BavAuto's High Performance Ignition Wire Set at $190 (12 12 1 721932P)? They claim that since they're so well insulated, they completely cancel such interference.

Thanks!

gooten1
01-17-2005, 06:07 PM
I asked this question a while back....which plug wires are best. I heard Magnecor is pretty good. Try a search on plug wires.

demeegod
03-15-2005, 10:02 AM
Aye, resistor plugs (which most modern plugs are) and good insulated wires should cut back on RFI... which can make your audio sound like crap and in extreme situations corrupt your onboard puters.

L84THSKY
03-15-2005, 03:59 PM
I thought there was no need to replace the wires, only if damaged :blink:

purchased my wires and plugs, just waiting for them to arrive.

in the meantime, is there any online diy tutorial on how to change the ignition wires. already found info on the spark plugs.

anything needed to be removed to gain access to the wires? already opened up the cover and can see the wire routing, but looks like you need tiny fingers to truely access them behind and under the block.

also, after changing wires, will anything else need to be checked? timing? uhh.. wat else?

any help would be greatly appreciated.

many thanks.

ryan

demeegod
03-15-2005, 06:12 PM
That's true in 90% of applications. Since most spark plugs and coil packs that come stock dont put out enough spark and current to cause large amounts of RFI. Then again, just as anything, they get damaged in time, im sure if he has a look at them and tests current flow he can see if they are any good... but ... they do have a certain life expectancy... a pretty long one.. but it is limited as anything else. Plus he may just want better conducting wires anyhow... who knows?