PDA

View Full Version : Heated Door Lock Question.........

L84THSKY
01-18-2005, 03:31 PM
Today was a very cold day in NY. I opened the car with my keyless entry and started the car. I then tried to use my other set of keys to lock the doors, while the car is warming up in the driveway. The key would not turn in the door, must be frozen. Doesn't the car heat the locks? Could that function be faulty, how do I know?

GDB
01-18-2005, 07:13 PM
That was only on the cars with a cold weather package. And to heat the locks you have to pull up on the door handle while the car is locked, holding it up is what triggers the heater. If you're not sure if you have to cold weather package then look in the passenger side brake duct for a flat, round sensor, if it's there then you have the cold weather package.

hubrisin
01-19-2005, 04:15 AM
It's pretty cold here in Columbus Ohio, in fact after coming out of a movie my door lock was frozen and wouldn't turn. Instead of forcing it and posibly damaging it, I just used the hatch lock to open the car. When I get out of work, my locks are stiff and need to be turned carefully.

BMWDRIFTER
01-19-2005, 04:47 AM
my car has that sensor, i was wondering what it was for. I knew I would learn something new today. anybody need heated door locks

AlaskaBlue
01-19-2005, 05:03 AM
After the inch or so of ice was left on my car the keyless entry did no good because there was still an inch of ice covering the door handle. So hitting the hatch button in hard enough to break the ice and then lifting up the hatch was the only way in.

1996 328ti
01-19-2005, 05:34 AM
There never was a cold weather package. I thought all cars had heated door locks.
Pull up the handle for a few seconds.

L84THSKY
01-19-2005, 03:05 PM
I did as I tried yesterday. I started the car with my valet key, but this time I locked the car outside with the trunk lock, works great. No worries about breaking the key, trunk lock wasn't stuck like the doors were.

After the inch or so of ice was left on my car the keyless entry did no good because there was still an inch of ice covering the door handle. So hitting the hatch button in hard enough to break the ice and then lifting up the hatch was the only way in.

L84THSKY
01-19-2005, 03:07 PM
That's what I thought.

There never was a cold weather package. I thought all cars had heated door locks.

L84THSKY
01-19-2005, 03:08 PM
Are you offering the parts for sale?

my car has that sensor, i was wondering what it was for. I knew I would learn something new today. anybody need heated door locks

rendoll911
01-19-2005, 03:57 PM
does that mean all TIs heated washer nozzles too?

L84THSKY
01-19-2005, 06:53 PM
1997 BMW Features
Ergonomics, Luxury and Convenience

FEATURE
Heated Outside Mirrors, Windshield-Washer Jets and Driver's Door Lock
This package is standard on the 318ti, M3 and all 5*-, 7*- and 8 Series models; it is included with the optional heated front seats of 318 and 328 Sedan, Coupe and Convertible models.

When the outside temperature drops below a specific level, the mirrors and washer jets are automatically heated if the ignition key is on (position 2). The user activates the door-lock heating by first lifting the door handle, then waiting a short while for any ice to be melted. After a certain interval, a timer switches off the heating to ensure that the battery is not drained.

*5- and 7 Series do not have the heated door lock.

does that mean all TIs heated washer nozzles too?

rendoll911
01-19-2005, 08:18 PM
well i guess its time for me to get that sensor.. maybe this is why my heated mirrors dont always work. Anyone know the part #?

1996 328ti
01-20-2005, 02:32 AM
well i guess its time for me to get that sensor.. maybe this is why my heated mirrors dont always work. Anyone know the part #?
Mirrors are always on, regardless of the sensor.

L84THSKY
01-20-2005, 03:39 PM
Cold day in NY again. This time I tried the heated door locks. I walked up to the car, lifted the handle and waited a few seconds. At first, the key wouldn't turn, but after another 10 seconds, the key started to turn. Then it moved like butta!
So in my estimation, the heated door locks do work as advertised.

rendoll911
01-20-2005, 08:10 PM
alright i found out that my mirrors do work but only one is warm enough to melt ice.. is there any way to repair this or do i need to buy a new mirror

sparkchaser
12-11-2006, 09:54 AM
Bump.

So....do ALL ti's have the heated driver side door locks?

clex2
12-11-2006, 10:11 AM
FEATURE
Heated Outside Mirrors, Windshield-Washer Jets and Driver's Door Lock
This package is standard on the 318ti, M3 and all 5*-, 7*- and 8 Series models; it is included with the optional heated front seats of 318 and 328 Sedan, Coupe and Convertible models.

When the outside temperature drops below a specific level, the mirrors and washer jets are automatically heated if the ignition key is on (position 2). The user activates the door-lock heating by first lifting the door handle, then waiting a short while for any ice to be melted. After a certain interval, a timer switches off the heating to ensure that the battery is not drained.

*5- and 7 Series do not have the heated door lock.

L8, didn't you just retrofit the heated washers jets?..............that were already installed on your car???????

L84THSKY
12-11-2006, 02:15 PM
As a matter of fact, I just finished yesterday. The car already had heated wiper jets, and now it has heated wiper jets and heated fluid. It also has heated mirrors and heated door locks.:smile:

L8, didn't you just retrofit the heated washers jets?..............that were already installed on your car???????

aceyx
12-11-2006, 04:10 PM
About once every year, I use a bit of powdered graphite in the locks. Shake the tube and squirt in, turn the key a few times then wipe the key down.

Never had to use the heated lock.

mohaughn
12-11-2006, 04:25 PM
If you're not sure if you have to cold weather package then look in the passenger side brake duct for a flat, round sensor, if it's there then you have the cold weather package.

I have that sensor and I don't have a cold weather package... I also know that I don't have heated side mirrors, or heated windshield washer jets. Must not have been on the 95's.

L84THSKY
12-11-2006, 04:59 PM
I have that sensor.

I have that sensor and I don't have a cold weather package... I also know that I don't have heated side mirrors, or heated windshield washer jets. Must not have been on the 95's.

Kraln
12-11-2006, 05:55 PM
I have a '95 and it has the sensor on the passenger side duct, but I know empirically that at the very least my heated mirrors do not work.

My car beeps at me when the temperature drops below 37' F

318tiRedLeather
12-11-2006, 06:04 PM
I have a '95 and it has the sensor on the passenger side duct, but I know empirically that at the very least my heated mirrors do not work.

My car beeps at me when the temperature drops below 37' F

that must get annoying in the winter

mohaughn
12-11-2006, 06:10 PM
kraln- That is a feature of the OBC. It is actually really nice, it lets you know when it is cold enough for bridges and overpasses to freeze up. It only beeps once.

318tiRedLeather
12-11-2006, 06:13 PM
oh ok i thought it was a constant beep, sorry i dont have an OBC

roadrash
12-12-2006, 12:49 AM
The car already had heated wiper jets, and now it has heated wiper jets and heated fluid. It also has heated mirrors and heated door locks.:smile:
Wow... sounds more like a rolling sauna than a car! heh heh ;-)

L84THSKY
12-12-2006, 12:52 AM
Did I mention the heated seats?:biggrin:

Wow... sounds more like a rolling sauna than a car! heh heh ;-)

oakley
12-12-2006, 01:09 AM
heated locks, jets and mirrors but hell u need it in the uk...even in the so called "summer" !!! howz the heated washer fluid work than??...would lovvvvvvvvveeeeeee heated seats leather sucks..too cold, too warm, too slidey..seriously if i keep moaning i'll sound like the mrs!!

L84THSKY
12-12-2006, 01:19 AM
I just finished the heated fluid retrofit Sunday. I couldn't figure out how the mounting bracket worked for the heater element. I ended up using a glue gun and gluing the heater element in by the plastic casing. It is glued directly to the side of the reservior. My concern is that when the heater element warms up the bottle, it may unglue the glue holding the heater to the bottle. I'm hoping that the heater transfers the heat into the fluid, before it gets the chance to heat the bottle beyond the surface area it is directly touching. Worst case I use duct tape to hold the heater element on the bottle. I'm gonna fill up the bottle, and see if it gets warm. I think it won't start heating until the temp drops below a certain value.

heated locks, jets and mirrors but hell u need it in the uk...even in the so called "summer" !!! howz the heated washer fluid work than??...would lovvvvvvvvveeeeeee heated seats leather sucks..too cold, too warm, too slidey..seriously if i keep moaning i'll sound like the mrs!!

DustenT
12-12-2006, 01:23 AM
I just finished the heated fluid retrofit Sunday. I couldn't figure out how the mounting bracket worked for the heater element. I ended up using a glue gun and gluing the heater element in by the plastic casing. It is glued directly to the side of the reservior. My concern is that when the heater element warms up the bottle, it may unglue the glue holding the heater to the bottle. I'm hoping that the heater transfers the heat into the fluid, before it gets the chance to heat the bottle beyond the surface area it is directly touching. Worst case I use duct tape to hold the heater element on the bottle. I'm gonna fill up the bottle, and see if it gets warm. I think it won't start heating until the temp drops below a certain value.

Any idea how hot it gets? Or does it just keep it above 32 degrees? You might not even be able to tell. My washer fluid is good to -32F. How cold does it get in NY? :wink:

L84THSKY
12-12-2006, 01:25 AM
I couldn't get much info on this retrofit. There was no BMW install guide for this project. My engine bay light works great, finished that Sunday too. Wired it into a power wire of the side marker lights in the fuse box.

Any idea how hot it gets? Or does it just keep it above 32 degrees? You might not even be able to tell. My washer fluid is good to -32F. How cold does it get in NY? :wink:

Tyler
12-12-2006, 02:21 AM

The window sticker states i have a cold weather package. Basically if you have heated seats you have the cold weather package.

pnosker
12-12-2006, 04:33 AM

I suggest using Arctic Alumina Thermal Epoxy. It's used mainly for holding heatsinks onto computer chips, but it would work great in your circumstance as long as both the washer fluid container and the heater aren't made of polyethylene. If they are, my suggestion is to use superglue to attach brackets to the heater unit made out of polyethylene and either drill and screw the brackets to the fluid container or glue with hot melt glue (heat won't directly contact the glue then). I have no idea what it looks like, though.

L84THSKY
12-13-2006, 04:02 AM
I took a peek, and it seems to be holding. Not sure if it has even starting heating the fluid yet. I'm gonna fill up the reservior and see what happens.

I suggest using Arctic Alumina Thermal Epoxy. It's used mainly for holding heatsinks onto computer chips, but it would work great in your circumstance as long as both the washer fluid container and the heater aren't made of polyethylene. If they are, my suggestion is to use superglue to attach brackets to the heater unit made out of polyethylene and either drill and screw the brackets to the fluid container or glue with hot melt glue (heat won't directly contact the glue then). I have no idea what it looks like, though.

oakley
01-13-2007, 12:54 AM
l8 i know this is an old post but did u eva post up on how u fitted that light in the engine bay and what u used etc?? i had a look but couldnt find anything...im interested in doing the same....

L84THSKY
01-13-2007, 01:19 AM
If you buy the retrofit kit, it comes with instructions.
Basically, just remove most of the flame retardent padding on the hood, and run the wiring around the air vent up into the hood. The spot where it mounts can be seen by an indentation in the padding. The kit has everything EXCEPT the bracket to hold the light. I found that part# on Ron Stygars webpage. Tapped the power in the fuse box for the corner/side lights.

l8 i know this is an old post but did u eva post up on how u fitted that light in the engine bay and what u used etc?? i had a look but couldnt find anything...im interested in doing the same....

oakley
01-13-2007, 01:43 AM
awesome cheers mate

pnosker
01-13-2007, 01:43 AM
I think you could also wire a few white LED's up in series and connect to the fuse box as well. I'm thinking about doing that, embed them in the foam padding and add a switch. Get 20,000 MCD LEDs.

L84THSKY
01-13-2007, 01:46 AM
Here is the thread about the install. The bracket part# is detailed.

http://www.unofficialbmw.com/e36/electrical/e36_ti_engine_compartment_light.html

awesome cheers mate