PDA

View Full Version : Just bought the Peake reset tool.....

L84THSKY
01-18-2005, 03:39 PM
I just bought the tool, and my Inspection light has been on for 2 weeks. Car has 38K miles on it now. What is the oil change interval that the diagnostics uses? I know the car uses a multiplier based on engine temperature, but does it set it to , for example 5K miles, and the yellow lights just move faster or slower depending on conditions? I want to synchronize the indicators to my oil changes. If I understand correctly, the yellow lights not only indicate Inspection intervals, but oil changes too.

The yellow lights ran out, and the Inspection light came on. If I reset the diagnostics, would all the yellow lights come back, and then the lights will run down for the next oil change? Then I assume when the yellow lights run down, the oil change display will be next to light up.

I did alot of tune-up work when I bought the car in August, but would like to synchronize my parts replacements/oil changes with the diagnostics.

1996 328ti
01-18-2005, 03:48 PM
What Causes the SII (service interval indicator) lights to come on? The SII lights are not "event" triggered. What that means is that they are not reporting a component failure or warning of imminent failure. Rather, the SII light computer "estimates" miles traveled. Once it estimates you have gone a certain number of miles it illuminates one of the SII lights (i.e. Oilservice- 7,500 estimated miles, or Inspection-15,000 estimated miles*). Mileage is estimated based on a formula:

Technical details of the service reminder lights:

Mileage is estimated based on the following formula:

e= a(1+t+r)

e=Estimated mileage
a=Actual mileage traveled
t=1 if engine temperature is below operating temperature, else t=0
r=.5 if engine is above 4500 RPM, else r=0

Example:If you traveled 5 miles with a cold engine running at 5000 RPM, the SII computer would actually "estimate" 12.5 miles traveled:

Solving for e:

a=5 (the actual miles traveled)
t=1 (because the engine was cold)
r=.5 (the engine was exceeding 4500 RPM)
e=5 X (1+1+.5)=12.5 estimated miles (from a trip of only 5 miles)

Once the computer reaches a certain count value (about 7,500 miles for Oilservice and 15,000 miles for inspection*), it will illuminate one of the service lights (oilservice or inspection) seen below.

The five green "countdown" lights are there to let you know approximately how long it will be before the next time your Oilservice or Inspection light will come on.

Explained:

Say an Oilservice or Inspection is due in 3000 miles, and
There are three green lights remaining (they shut off within 15 seconds of starting your engine)
So; 3000 miles remaining divided by 3 green leds = 1000 miles per Green led.

The yellow light along with the word Oilservice/Inspection indicates service is now due. The red lights indicate service overdue by approximately 100 miles per light.

*Varies with year and model

http://peakeresearch.com./images/hr.gif

Copyright © Peake Research Corp. 1989-2003. All Rights Reserved.

1996 328ti
01-18-2005, 03:51 PM
In addition

The service intervals are
oil service
inspection (including oil service)
oil service
oil service
oil service

In my 98 ti is was every 9K.
So Inspection I was at 18K and Inspection II was 36K.

L84THSKY
01-18-2005, 05:25 PM
So if I do the oil change now, along with finishing off any inspection items, I will be in synch with both inspections and oil changes?

In addition

The service intervals are
oil service
oil service
oil service
oil service

In my 98 ti is was every 9K.
So Inspection I was at 18K and Inspection II was 36K.

1996 328ti
01-18-2005, 07:55 PM
Not really following. If you reset your inspection SI light then you will be due of oil next time.

L84THSKY
01-18-2005, 09:35 PM
You said in your reply that when an inspections is due, then so is an oil change.
Then I said, if I do an oil change now and finish the inspection, I can reset the inspection, and only need to do an oil change the next time around. Make sense?

Not really following. If you reset your inspection SI light then you will be due of oil next time.

L84THSKY
02-03-2006, 02:22 PM
My Oil Service light came on the other day. I did a check of when I last changed my oil, and it was only 21XX miles ago. When you look at the formula for when the car determines you are due for an oil change, it takes in to consideration RPM and engine temperature. Since it's cold on Long Island, and I often start and drive to work prior to a full warm up, I have been penalized severely. Does it seem possible that the car wants me to change my oil after only 21XX miles? I only use Mobile 1, and I usually change my oil around 5000 miles.

I have the rest tool and can easily just reset the lights, but I was curious. If I was really bored, I could start documenting exactly how many miles the oil service light comes on throughout the year. That way I could see how temperature really comes into play with the oil service light.

What Causes the SII (service interval indicator) lights to come on? The SII lights are not "event" triggered. What that means is that they are not reporting a component failure or warning of imminent failure. Rather, the SII light computer "estimates" miles traveled. Once it estimates you have gone a certain number of miles it illuminates one of the SII lights (i.e. Oilservice- 7,500 estimated miles, or Inspection-15,000 estimated miles*). Mileage is estimated based on a formula:

Technical details of the service reminder lights:

Mileage is estimated based on the following formula:

e= a(1+t+r)

e=Estimated mileage
a=Actual mileage traveled
t=1 if engine temperature is below operating temperature, else t=0
r=.5 if engine is above 4500 RPM, else r=0

Example:If you traveled 5 miles with a cold engine running at 5000 RPM, the SII computer would actually "estimate" 12.5 miles traveled:

Solving for e:

a=5 (the actual miles traveled)
t=1 (because the engine was cold)
r=.5 (the engine was exceeding 4500 RPM)
e=5 X (1+1+.5)=12.5 estimated miles (from a trip of only 5 miles)

Once the computer reaches a certain count value (about 7,500 miles for Oilservice and 15,000 miles for inspection*), it will illuminate one of the service lights (oilservice or inspection) seen below.

The five green "countdown" lights are there to let you know approximately how long it will be before the next time your Oilservice or Inspection light will come on.

Explained:

Say an Oilservice or Inspection is due in 3000 miles, and
There are three green lights remaining (they shut off within 15 seconds of starting your engine)
So; 3000 miles remaining divided by 3 green leds = 1000 miles per Green led.

The yellow light along with the word Oilservice/Inspection indicates service is now due. The red lights indicate service overdue by approximately 100 miles per light.

*Varies with year and model

http://peakeresearch.com./images/hr.gif

Copyright © Peake Research Corp. 1989-2003. All Rights Reserved.

1996 328ti
02-03-2006, 02:40 PM
Those lights are pointless, esp after warranty is up.

Oil changes and all maintenance should be done routinely. I base mine on mileage, with several cases in which parts needed to be replaced before the scheduled mileage hit.Mileage is pointless. A better routine would be x hours but since we don't have what's called a Hobbs meter, we use the odo.

J!m
02-03-2006, 02:40 PM
Interesting info.

I was going to give you a ring last night, but was unsure how late was "safe" to call...

I'm off to CT tonight, so perhaps next week we can get together for a beer.

L84THSKY
02-03-2006, 03:29 PM
Sounds good, so long as I am home from Maryland by the weekend.

Interesting info.

I was going to give you a ring last night, but was unsure how late was "safe" to call...

I'm off to CT tonight, so perhaps next week we can get together for a beer.

J!m
02-03-2006, 04:27 PM
It sounds like your schedule is more volatile than mine is!

Just give me a call any time before 10:00pm. I'm normally available...

Panzer_M
02-03-2006, 06:31 PM
I got my oil and service reset for e30/e36s for 20 USD over in England when I was in Essex visiting friends over for school.

best electronic tool I got.