PDA

View Full Version : found a 1998 318ti-automatic please help

ks20190
01-19-2005, 01:54 AM
I went by a dealer about 40miles from where I live (MD) to see a 1998 318ti. The car is white with 78k, have leather seats, heated seats, sunroof, no fog lights or cd charger. First I got the key from the sale person to turn the car on, but some how none of the doors would open (even the hatch part), maybe its too cold, the key is the only key they have and its a greyish head one, which is the spare key? not sure about the spare key would open the hatch? then the sale person got a service guy to pop the door look open with some tools, but still the car won't start, so he jump the battery, he tried it few times and the car run like a min and turn off itself, then finally he left the battery with the jump starter to run with the car for a little while, after the last jump, the ASC light come and stay on, then we went to gas station to get some gas,`but the car drive fine with low or high speed, beside that light the car door central lock dont even work, also the radio code is missing, so no way to find out the radio working or not, please help I'm not sure about buying this one? they want $7500 cash included tax, tag and title fees. thanks alot :_paper:

BMWDRIFTER
01-19-2005, 03:24 AM
if the radio says "code" it probably works. the ASC light could be a cheap or expensive repair. If you are really intrested in the car find a shop that can tell you what the code is. Most shops will apply a diag. fee to the repair if you have it fixed later. The locks could be as simple as a fuse or a door contact switch not working. Get them to take off @$300 for the locks, and a $1000 for the ASC light. while it is at the shop have them do a full inspection. if the front ball joints and control arm bushings are in need of repair (common problem around 100k) they run about $300 per side.

gadgetphreak
01-19-2005, 04:15 AM
If the only key included is the grey key, then you will have to get new keys from the BMW factory as they are coded. You will want to factor that into the cost of purchase.

I would find out the cost to get new keys from the closest BMW dealer and then go back and negotiate that much off the price of the car, if you decide to go for it...

96cali
01-19-2005, 04:34 PM
I would tell them to get a real key, get the ASC light to turn off, install the codes for the radio THEN to call me so I can take it to a good BMW mechanic. Just sounds like a lot of hassle to buy with these unknowns unless you're schooled in bimmer tech. BTW it is an Active package car and that is a decent price for 1998 with 78k.