PDA

View Full Version : No return line on my fuel pump?!

ksubclass
03-22-2016, 02:00 AM
So the strangest thING happened to me. My gas gauge wasn't working so I bought a fuel pump on amazon to replace it. Well when I took my covers off there wasn't even a return line hooked up to the old fuel pump!

Ive looked at pictures everywhere and I see return lines on the fuel pump hooked up. I even crawled under the car to see if I could see a hanging rubber line but there is nothing. Am I supposed to just cap this return line on the fuel pump? I'm wondering why my 318ti does not have a return line routed to the pump?

BlackBMWs
03-22-2016, 05:34 AM
Odd. My TI's and 325i all have return lines... :cool:

ksubclass
03-22-2016, 05:43 AM
I put a cap on it for now to prevent the gas from sloshing around and spilling out of the unsealed hole but apparently I've found other people with the same setup on the Web by looking up this question. I mean when I removed the original fuel pump it wasn't hooked up either. It's just this new fuel pump I ordered isn't closed off like the original.
I'd love to know though where your return line runs to because if I was supposed to have one and it wasn't hooked up to the fuel pump return inlet wouldnt it just be pouring out wherever the return line started?

BRADESTAR
03-23-2016, 04:33 AM
It is on the fuel rail to start. Should be able to start there and chase the breach.