PDA

View Full Version : replacing the crankshaft seal

mti
01-20-2005, 01:53 PM
96 ti M44

The crankshaft seal that resides in the lower timing case cover is leaking oil and needs to be replaced. It looks to be fairly simple. A few things I'm wandering about are, how hard it's going to be to remove the crankshaft pulley, and I assume the timing case cover is divided so you can take the bottom off without having to take the top off. Can anyone give me any pointers about doing the procedure?

Thanks for the help

M

BMWDRIFTER
01-21-2005, 07:57 AM
You will need a large pair of channel locks 20-24". once you take the pulley off the front, 6 13mm bolts. use the channellocks and let it jam up against the p/s pump. then put your jack handle (4' long) on the end of a very good 1/2" pull bar, dont be suprised if you break one or two. then you and a friend pull as hard as you can. did I mention this is a lot easier on a rack above your head. once the bolt is out the hub should slide off with just a little pressure on 2 sides. One more thing if it is still leaking oil after replacing the seal you will need to replace the gasket and two O-rings Between the oil filter Housing and the block. Once the housing is off there is a alum. round piece that sticks in the housing or the block. replace the o-rings on each end. one is female the other is male. these o-rings are the most common oil leak on this motor. it will appear to be the front seal becaus of where it drips from. when you take the front pulley off you can see if the area is wet at the filter housing (if it is) and how it runs down.

mti
01-28-2005, 06:51 PM
Thanks for the info. After further investagation, it looks like the oil filter housing gasket and o rings are leaking. Do I need to drain the oil or take out the oil filter before replacing the gasket and o rings?

Thanks Again

BMWDRIFTER
01-28-2005, 09:29 PM
when you take the filter out it will drain the oil.