PDA

View Full Version : Chattering DISA valve (M44)

FunElan
03-08-2017, 10:20 PM
Hey guys,

Posted this in the facebook group, but I figured I'd try here as well. My DISA valve appears to make a chattering sound. For reference, #6 on this diagram: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=CG73-USA-05-1996-E36-BMW-318ti&diagId=11_6111

Car is performing normally, this just makes noise. I've done some research and it appears that on M54s it's a part that can fail and cause catastrophic results (metal pin falling out). On our cars, there isn't much evidence of failure.

I'm going on a 4 hour weekend trip tomorrow, is this something I should be freaking out about? I may try taking it out tonight or tomorrow morning but I'm afraid something could happen (like the part crumbling or something) and I won't be able to get it back in.

Thanks,
Matt

maverick
03-08-2017, 11:01 PM
Not sure why it would be chattering but they can rarely fail and it can be catastrophic in the M44 motors. I know personally of only one case. In that case there was a turbocharger ahead of the DISA and that may have been a factor in the failure. The flap valve pivots on two of those pins...possibly made of plastic in the M44 version...and in this instance one of the pins found its way between a valve and a valve seat with nasty results!!!

Might want to inspect and check for excessive play of the pins/valve. If okay you could try a touch of grease/lube on the pivots and see if your chatter improves.

If it crumbles or breaks coming out it's obviously faulty and shouldn't be trusted anyway.

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FunElan
03-09-2017, 02:14 AM
https://youtu.be/WabLtxLE2c8 Took the part out and got this video- ideas?

maverick
03-09-2017, 03:24 AM
I think as far as the pins and the flap valve itself your fine and not likely to be an issue. As far as that slight looseness might be indicative of the actuator being a bit weak or worn. I have never pulled mine to see how positive that actuator is.

Put it in and drive it and go from there.

Dave

FunElan
03-09-2017, 05:02 AM
I think as far as the pins and the flap valve itself your fine and not likely to be an issue. As far as that slight looseness might be indicative of the actuator being a bit weak or worn. I have never pulled mine to see how positive that actuator is.

Put it in and drive it and go from there.

Dave

Thanks for the responses Dave. Just rewatched my video, I didn't exactly show how much up and down movement there was with the pin, but it will probably be fine, you're right. I did indeed find a bus for the weekend :biggrin: