PDA

View Full Version : oil leak/couple of other things.

droneboy
05-15-2017, 07:33 PM
hey guys

New member here and also new to the bmw world! i picked up a 2003 318 ti se last week and went to work today in the rain!! when i reversed i noticed a spot of oil on the floor, then a touch more when i looked under it.

I've read VGC online is the most common cause of minor leaks. i'll put up some pictures below.

The other parts are:
1- when the car starts it makes an odd noise like maybe the starter keeps going when the engine fires for about 2 seconds. ill have to record it tomorrow when its a cold start.

2- once warm the car idles at roughly 600-700 rpm but sometimes dips low and the engine chug side to side slightly, maybe vacuum leak?
i've yet to take covers off to inspect the hose's though.

3- possible related to a vacuum leak but from roughly 2.5k under hard load the engine hesitates just slightly.

4- should it be tough to put the dipstick back in? i really struggled as there seem to be a cross plastic bit on the dipstick.

5- does this model come with a cone filter in an air box as standard?

cheers

droneboy
05-15-2017, 07:38 PM
site seems a bugger uploading pics!

J!m
05-18-2017, 12:38 AM
Your car is the E46 platform and most members here have E36 platform cars.

You are more than welcome but the bulk of knowledge here is the earlier platform.

On the older cars, a common leak is the power steering. Vacuum leaks are very probable.