PDA

View Full Version : Cam sensor question

bluoval6
06-12-2017, 03:34 PM
My M44 is throwing a cam sensor code,but the car seems to run fine. Will this affect anything else, i.e. power, fuel economy, etc? Trying to decide how critical this problem is. Thanks,

Scott

bluoval6
06-14-2017, 04:28 PM
So to answer my own question, I replaced the cam sensor last night. I noticed an immediate difference in response, especially at low rpm. I'll monitor fuel economy on my next full tank. It seems to have dropped a bit since i bought the car 2 years ago. I'll report back in case anyone is interested.

Scott

J!m
06-15-2017, 03:20 AM
Yes the cam phasing will be messed up- it won't advance in sync with the ignition timing and intake runner switchover.

You probably will see a slight improvement in fuel economy as you won't be pushing the pedal as hard looking for low end torque.

bluoval6
07-20-2017, 11:26 PM
No cam phasing on this M44. Definitely runs better with a good sensor, though. Fuel economy seems to have improved slightly. I played with my cam timing today, but I'll post that in another thread.

Scott

mnguyen84
07-24-2017, 07:49 PM
the sensor near the cams and thermostat that BMW the crank position sensor right? mine was going bad. sometimes I have problems starting on the first turn. since i replaced the sensor, 1 turn 1 start. :D

bluoval6
07-24-2017, 08:22 PM
The sensor in the front cover is tha cam position sensor. The crank sensor is further back, under the back of the intake. I too would get a hard start occasionally. Hasnt happened since replacing the cam sensor.

Scott

john318isau
07-28-2017, 06:10 AM
When my cam sensor failed, my car was intermittently losing power while driving. The problem would usually happen after stopping at an intersection and then taking off again, but also happened at other times, and it sometimes stalled when I came to a stop.