PDA

View Full Version : Please help! Remote Alarm/Red LED next to Ash Tray (PROBLEM)

NoahChamberlain
01-28-2005, 06:07 AM
OK... bought a 318ti, the remote alarm/unlocker worked the first day I test drove. Week later, when I made the trek back across the state line to buy it, it didn't work the day I bought it, the dealership said it needed a new battery. I was suspicious because the red light on the remote was working but being a novice... I went with what they said. I replaced the battery, and then I was told I didn't do it quick enough, and the configuration was lost. And I needed to recalibrate the damn thing, at an OEM BMW Dealership no less. So, I brought it in, and low and behold, after following the steps to "reinitialize the key fob", the remote still wouldn't work. Then they said the Red Led was completely dim (next to the cigarette lighter/ashtray), and it didn't (and still does not) flash, so that was the problem. And the fact that I had put in a Pioneer aftermarket stereo into the car could have also been the problem. But the problem happened when I had the stock deck installed.

Bottom line is, I'm wondering how I can fix the damn little dim Red LED next to my ashtray. Hopefully that's why it's not working? No fuses are blown, already checked that. I'm about to break down and pay the $85 an hour or whatever to get it fixed because having an alarm would be damn nice, especially before I get deployed. I don't have alot of money so any advice, much appreciated.

1996 328ti
01-28-2005, 06:15 AM
It sure sounds like there is a short somewhere.
You sure you don't have a pinched wire?

maurolin
01-28-2005, 06:33 AM
humm... the led on the dash is not NECESSARY to run the alarm That's just an indicator. I have parted several cars out and sometimes i cannot get the led and I have installed the alarms with success.
Now, your remote is a 3 button or a 2 button. Let me look for the programming instructions on the round 2 button remote. I will post them. It is simple. But before you go on doing all that.... Make sure they didn't take out the Alarm module, and that the harness is plugged in underneath the pass. side dash.,
ALSO, please remove the battery negative terminal for 20 min or so, make sure all windows are up and all doors unlocked. That worked for me once.

NoahChamberlain
01-28-2005, 06:50 AM
2 button... alarm module under passenger side dash... what does this look like? i will look first thing in the morning...

maurolin
01-28-2005, 07:05 AM
a black rectangular box with a green connector in one end. and a flexible antenna.