PDA

View Full Version : Is clear turn signals illegal in NJ?

barische
01-29-2005, 09:16 PM
the question is that Is clear turn signals illegal in NJ. i just got em this weekend and i installed em, they were original bmw parts. the clears came with redish-yellow color bulbs but it didnt seem to work wiht the electrical so i left the white original bulbs and installed the clear outside. so there is no color inside the turn signal now. i dont wanna get ticketed for a stupid reason so can anyone tell me if this setup is illegal in NJ. the new signal came wiht 2 plugs. but original bulb has 3 plugs. it seems weird. the original bulb and all the system fits the new clear perfectly but i got no color at the signal and some people are saying that u have to have some color on ur signal.
thanks for help.

robcarync
01-29-2005, 09:24 PM
i cant tell you specifically for NJ...but in MOST places...turn signals must flash amber...

96cali
01-31-2005, 05:12 PM
the question is that Is clear turn signals illegal in NJ. i just got em this weekend and i installed em, they were original bmw parts. the clears came with redish-yellow color bulbs but it didnt seem to work wiht the electrical so i left the white original bulbs and installed the clear outside. so there is no color inside the turn signal now. i dont wanna get ticketed for a stupid reason so can anyone tell me if this setup is illegal in NJ. the new signal came wiht 2 plugs. but original bulb has 3 plugs. it seems weird. the original bulb and all the system fits the new clear perfectly but i got no color at the signal and some people are saying that u have to have some color on ur signal.
thanks for help.

My guess is that you ordered a european setup and the bulbs/electrical are different. All you need are US spec amber bulbs. I 've also heard of people painting them to be amber which would keep you from being ticketed till you get real ones. If it isn't illegal it sounds dangerous to me. Blinkers let other people (who may not be paying attention) know what you're doing. My red Acura got rear ended in broad daylight while my wife sat with her turn signal going. The guy just wasn't paying attention.

gooten1
01-31-2005, 06:48 PM
I have the corners from matrix racing and blueish piaa bulbs (from bavauto) and haven't had a problem with them yet.

(I live in SC, btw.)

1996 328ti
01-31-2005, 07:33 PM
It's not that clears are illegal.
In the US you need to have an amber reflector on the front corners.
And yes, the bulb needs to flash amber.

318tiTUNER
02-12-2005, 03:37 PM
yes you can have a clear lenze but the bulb HAS to be AMBER. I myself live in jersey also. You have to have a flash amber bulb.

barische
02-12-2005, 03:44 PM
ok thanks, now i need to know how to paint my bulb to amber. do u guys know any kind of special paint i can buy from like pepboys or something. i might be buying the amber bulbs later. but i need to paint them now. any ideas of paint, spray little bottles. or what. thanks

318tiTUNER
02-12-2005, 04:08 PM
you can just ask an employee at pepboys and im sure they have a can of amber spray. if not, bulbs are pretty damn cheap...

1996 328ti
02-12-2005, 10:36 PM
You need high temp silver paint and just coat the top of the bulb.
I did it and it looks like crap. One of these days I'll buy the bulbs that come prepainted.

bluebastion
02-12-2005, 11:53 PM
However, what's even better IMO... are the silver bulbs that flash amber.... no amber tint in the clear indicators when not in use... but when you turn on your blinker... they light up amber. You can pick some of these up at a Pep boys or Auto Zone, etc.... Cost a little more, but look a lot better. BTW, mine have lasted a long time too...

robcarync
02-13-2005, 07:38 AM
i looked at auto zone for some of those "stealth" bulbs or whatever and couldnt find them...i thought it was kinda odd though...because i heard you could get them there...

how much did they cost by the way?