PDA

View Full Version : Battery cover

ultralinear
01-21-2005, 09:09 AM
My battery cover was missing when I bought my ti and I just got the replacement. Problem is that I can't get it to stay in position, Can someone post a picture showing how the passenger side of the cover looks when it's snapped into place?

Not sure if the battery strap is keeping it from coming together right or what. The driver side's OK but the passenger side just won't stay.

Thanks.

bayleys
01-31-2005, 01:33 AM
Battery position (http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=6075667&uid=3001261)

Take a look at this - it may help. I'm not sure if right-hand drive is different under the bonnet.

bayleys
01-31-2005, 01:39 AM
I was recently told that having a cover on the battery in a warm environment can actually cause more harm than good. The temperature does not really go below freezing or above 30C where I live. I am keen to hear your feedback.

GDB
01-31-2005, 02:08 AM
I left the top off of my box after finding some corrosion. I put the felt washers on and haven't had any problems since.

ultralinear
01-31-2005, 05:47 AM
My dang problem is that the cover doesn't wanna seat. It's the right one (confirmed the part#) but it just seems to miss just enough to piss me off. I could believe that heat could actually build up under that cover, but I like the way the engine compartment kinda looks "finished" with the cover in place. It would have been nice had BMW put the battery in the trunk, IMHO. Thanks...

1996 328ti
01-31-2005, 06:14 AM
Do you have an aftermarket battery?

ultralinear
01-31-2005, 07:09 AM
Nope...it's not hitting the battery...the little snaps on the sides on the side of the cover just don't quite line up. Very frustrating.

yeehawbob
02-08-2005, 09:56 PM
You have to look at the whole thing again very carefully.
1. The cover is a 2 peice part and teh outer part is kind of easy to bend, so check all the edges and see if any portion is getting bent when you try to put the cover in place.
2. The Battery when clamped down can slide toward the back wall so loosen the screw a little and try to push the battery towards the screw and then tighten the screw.
3. Check the "+" connector cable to see if it needs to be positioned to go thru the slot provided.
4. The clip on the outside wall of the cover box may be a little hard to snap on but if the cover is set ever so perfectly in the grooves then a little pressure helps to snap it in lock position.

Hope this helps

ultralinear
02-09-2005, 12:18 AM
Thanks...the battery is pretty well shoved toward the rear of the tray so that may be causing a problem. I'll try and get it to sit a bit farther forward.