PDA

View Full Version : Windshield Chips?

ultralinear
01-31-2005, 07:12 AM
Got a minor windshield chip today...bummer. Any reason not to do a resin-based repair? It's small, but I'm sure it will spread if I don't do something ASAP. Any experiences would be appreciated. Thanks...

1996 328ti
01-31-2005, 01:31 PM
I had one filled a few years ago. It has been fine. It is low and on the right side.
I can only notice it if the sun is hitting it in a certain way.
If it was directly in my line of sight I probably would have replaced the windshield.

ultralinear
01-31-2005, 05:33 PM
Thanks, Steven...

gooten1
01-31-2005, 06:43 PM
My windshield is hella pitted...they sand the bridges down (recently) 'cause of ice, so every pickup and semi truck kick all that sand up and it pits my windshield. I had the sunroof open...and the sand got all over the back seat. Anyway, I'm going to have to do something...the sun's glare is awful with all those pits. Can I get the windshield resurfaced or something?

1996 328ti
01-31-2005, 07:34 PM
You can replace the windshield. New windshields only stay new for a short period of time. BMW windshields pit easily.

prd318ownr
02-25-2005, 11:37 AM
i have a two inch crack. it was spot drilled, a techniq used to stop it from spreading and its been good for a few years and hasnt spread..

Tyler
02-25-2005, 06:34 PM
If you have Comprehensive on your auto insurance you can get it replaced for free. Thats how i got my Saab windshield replaced,it had so many chips on the windshield from all the highway driving and i got it replaced for free.

mickd
02-25-2005, 08:01 PM
If you have Comprehensive on your auto insurance you can get it replaced for free. Thats how i got my Saab windshield replaced,it had so many chips on the windshield from all the highway driving and i got it replaced for free.
My original windshield was replaced in '96 with an OEM windshield on the comprehensive insurance. I got a small crack last summer and was kind of glad because of all the fine scratces from road debris after 8 years, that it would be covered with insurance. They would only cover the cost of a replacement (non-BMW) windshield since the car was over 2 years old. That sucked, had to pay the difference between the two which was around $150.

cali-ti
04-08-2005, 04:04 AM
hmmmm ... i have two semi-circular cracks and a couple nice chips. i was going to call my insurance to see what could be done. maybe i'll get it replaced once i have my x-brace in place (less chassis twist). never seen semi-circular cracks before, guess i'm "lucky" ...