PDA

View Full Version : Engine Block Heater

NoahChamberlain
02-02-2005, 12:37 AM
x

chepas
02-02-2005, 01:56 AM
Engine Block Heater... where can I get one for my '96 TI? I'm moving up to Alaska and I have to get one installed before I go up there, according to my new unit (I'm in the military...)...

damn!!! that sucks, Alaska?? they say ain't that bad though, i was stationed 4 years in Minot AFB, ND. I hated that f**king place so bad, f**k minot!!!

back to the topic, here is more:

http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=3792&goto=nextnewest

good luck in Alaska, try to make it fun!

NoahChamberlain
02-02-2005, 03:59 AM
x

chepas
02-03-2005, 06:12 AM
you gotta be ****tin me? there's no such thing as an engine block heater for the m44 engine?

BMW wise nope, I called everywhere, BMW dealers in canada, OEM parts in england, you name it! 70% of people I talked to didn't know what the hell was a Block Heater (I didn't called Germany, but if you know some german give it a try) .......nothing original as far as i know!

NoahChamberlain
02-03-2005, 09:24 AM
x

DustenT
02-03-2005, 03:05 PM
looks like the car is going for sale in the next few days!

I wouldn't sell the car just because it doesn't have a block heater. My car has never not started because of the cold. Maybe BMWs are so well engineered that they don't need block heaters. It does get pretty cold in the mountains of Europe and they don't seem to have problems there. I say give it a try before giving up and assuming it isn't going to work.

chepas
02-03-2005, 05:02 PM
I wouldn't sell the car just because it doesn't have a block heater. My car has never not started because of the cold. Maybe BMWs are so well engineered that they don't need block heaters. It does get pretty cold in the mountains of Europe and they don't seem to have problems there. I say give it a try before giving up and assuming it isn't going to work.

That's true, that's what BMW Tech told me. it'll take a little bit to start your car though but it will be fine. plus if you just use the right weight of oil you'll be ok.

L84THSKY
02-03-2005, 07:07 PM
I'm ex Air Force, never stationed in Alaska, but I think you won't need to sell the car. I remember reading somewhere that all parking spots have some kind of electrical outlet to plug in an engine heater. All you need is a generic engine heater, I think it's a submersible type, plugs into your radiator. There are probably many types.

looks like the car is going for sale in the next few days!

NoahChamberlain
02-03-2005, 07:14 PM
x

John Firestone
02-03-2005, 08:19 PM
BMW wise nope, I called everywhere, BMW dealers in canada, OEM parts in england, you name it! 70% of people I talked to didn't know what the hell was a Block Heater (I didn't called Germany, but if you know some german give it a try) .......nothing original as far as i know!I could have sworn someone once sent me a diagram of a BMW-marketed block heater if I can only remember where I saved it. However, I would think a less expensive and less specific unit would work just fine on an M44.

What I know BMW does market and sell in Europe are 5 kW, gasoline-fueled auxiliary heating systems which would untether the car from the electricity grid. I have know idea how effective they would be at -40.

-John

P.S. I found the mail message, from February 2002, mentioning the BMW block heater with an attached TIFF in case I needed part numbers. It appears I deleted the the scan to save disk space. :( I will ask my correspondent if he still has it.

NoahChamberlain
02-14-2005, 07:24 AM
x

ClubSport
02-14-2005, 09:47 PM
UPDATE: Found a block heater for the TI! And a mechanic who's installed them before. :biggrin:

QUESTION: Where did you find it?!

NoahChamberlain
02-14-2005, 09:52 PM
x