PDA

View Full Version : Going standalone with ITBs

Whizbang
09-25-2017, 04:26 PM
After initially in stalling the ITBs, the car did run with the stock DME however, as expected, it was "meh".

So finally got myself into going standalone. Choose the AEM EMS4 for cost / simplicity. Removed all the old engine wiring. Accessed the bottom of the cubby hole for the stock ECU and put a hole w/ grommet to pass the new loom through. ECU in the glovebox for access to CAN BUS / USB / Fuses. Then started to cannibalize the stock wiring components to run the harness. Getting closer!

Going with standard issue VAG coil on plug. Need to razor a small amount of the boot down for them to actually click onto the spark plug.

Waiting on the wideband to arrive.

https://i.imgur.com/NQIg2wB.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/YC6Kjm5.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/HexWzSR.jpg

apexspeedtech
09-25-2017, 07:14 PM
Let me know if you need anything I've been an AEM dealer for many years, be glad to help fellow Ti owners!

anassa
09-25-2017, 07:42 PM
Now this is VERY cool!!!

I would love to see you finish this and get it running reliably.

Maybe at a set of cat cams to it, but it probably won't be too reliably running over 7k for continuous use, so a set that is good mid range to 7k rpm cams? :confused:

http://www.catcams.com/engines/camshaft-setup.aspx

Then dyno! It would be super interesting to see some m44 NA power! See how the power curve looks :biggrin:

Also how it would drive too! I'm in CA so maybe eventually I can see it in person. :cool:

Good luck!!

Whizbang
09-25-2017, 07:53 PM
shouldn't be an issue in finishing it. Going together quite well so far. I do need to look at camshafts eventually, but for now getting it running and all that is priority. Plus I would like to see what a OEM M42 baselines at.

anassa
09-25-2017, 08:04 PM
shouldn't be an issue in finishing it. Going together quite well so far. I do need to look at camshafts eventually, but for now getting it running and all that is priority. Plus I would like to see what a OEM M42 baselines at.

That is true, very good point, and getting a good baseline and working from there would be very interesting too. I didn't realize you have a 1995 318ti, most are 96+ so I assumed m44 not m42, m42 might be a bit more rev happy. nice

Whizbang
09-25-2017, 08:22 PM
yea the head design of the M42 is quite different and IMO much nicer.

long term plan is to cage this and go do some racing. perhaps as a second rally car, but maybe track duty.

anassa
09-26-2017, 04:27 AM
yea the head design of the M42 is quite different and IMO much nicer.

long term plan is to cage this and go do some racing. perhaps as a second rally car, but maybe track duty.

Sounds good, looking forward to see how it progresses. :biggrin:

Whizbang
12-25-2017, 08:58 PM
some updates.

so the AEM EMS4 is wired up. But here is thing. The setup wizard for this version of AEMtuner doesn't let you just plug in the values you need.

you have to choose from their "list of premade" injectors and coils. which sucks because neither are on my list.

SO. Now I need to call AEM to get something sorted to get my first start going.

apexspeedtech
12-25-2017, 09:28 PM
Keep me posted. I've not had good luck with EMS4's, I'm curious to see how your experience will be.

Bremit
01-05-2018, 11:11 PM
I want to do the same to my M44. Did you get aem support yet? Which ITBs did you use? How hard was the wiring for the EMS4?

Whizbang
01-08-2018, 07:54 PM
update!

Got it started but took some tricks. One is the do have a 60-2 vr 1 cam vr w/ COP calibration file to start with. use this. But the exactly where the tooth to TDC setting is odd. Ive trialed and errored it into starting.

also the fuel cut was set at 72kpa so it didnt want to inject at first.

Bremit
01-08-2018, 08:19 PM
Wow, that is awesome you got it started. So so is TDC a random number in the EMS software and has no correlation with any markings on the crank shaft

Bremit
01-08-2018, 08:21 PM
So there is no correlation between the crank position and the number you use for TDC? How did you guess the number value for TDC?

apexspeedtech
01-08-2018, 09:32 PM
Going by memory, Typically the first tooth after the gap is 254ish degrees BTDC. Have you used a timing light to check the timing accuracy yet? Make sure you monitor timing with throttle blips to make sure you've got the right edge programmed into the sensor setup.

Whizbang
01-08-2018, 09:52 PM
the issue is that you dont have any place to obviously define it. instead a # of teeth of "ign advance" as a set point. but with the 60-2 it creates a synthetic 12-1 signal and it gets odd from there.

next chance i have i need to rig something to the COP for timing light use and set it proper.

Whizbang
03-09-2018, 06:26 AM
now the fun part. figuring out how to tune it.

anyone have an ignition map in kpa v. rpm for an m42 or maybe m44 that is still na?

apexspeedtech
03-09-2018, 04:56 PM
I don't but am happy to try and help you sort it out. Have you got it to idle?

Whizbang
03-11-2018, 03:23 AM
okay i can't figure this out.

i get a bucking at about 2300 rpm. shows in the log as spikes in AFR. doesn't go away with large changes in fuel or ignition timing. Doesn't go away with tps or speed density based loading.

Pretty sure the timing is all set correctly.

Its like nothing makes it change so i can't figure out how to get rid of it.

apexspeedtech
03-11-2018, 01:56 PM
okay i can't figure this out.

i get a bucking at about 2300 rpm. shows in the log as spikes in AFR. doesn't go away with large changes in fuel or ignition timing. Doesn't go away with tps or speed density based loading.

This is a cut function. Either its a crank sensor issue, where its losing track of the 60-2 at speed, or its commanded. I’m not in front of the AEM Tuner software right now, but if you send me your map I’ll look for it. Either decel fuel cut or a commanded fuel or spark cut. You can email to questions@apexspeedtech.com.

Cheers,
Neel

Whizbang
03-11-2018, 03:54 PM
awesome. ill send over a fresh log this evening as well. Im a little worried it's in the wiring since the "easier" stuff is dropping off the list quick. :/

apexspeedtech
03-11-2018, 07:23 PM
awesome. ill send over a fresh log this evening as well. Im a little worried it's in the wiring since the "easier" stuff is dropping off the list quick. :/

If its a wiring issues, I wouldn’t expect it to be consistent, unless:

1. Battery Voltage is dropping under 10V at 2300RPM
2. You have swapped Crank + and Crank -

Cheers,
Neel

Whizbang
03-12-2018, 01:24 AM
i sent an email. Well two because i accidentally clicked send too early.