PDA

View Full Version : Custom built Ti Subwoofer

ScnStlr
02-06-2005, 10:56 PM
Hi Everyone. I've been researching for some time and then built my take on a "stock" looking sub woofer and amplifier installation.
Some of my goals:
1) retain cargo space was key
2) make it install with little alteration to interior work
3) make it easily removable for expansion and servicing.
4) make it look great and not look like an after thought

I think I've accomplished these goals. Don't you agree?

Equipment:
4 gauge power wire from battey to rear compartment
1.2 farad Tsunami capacitor (not necessary totally necessary)
Alpine MRD-M301 175-300 mono amplifier
Kicker S8L7 200-600 watt dual 2ohm subwoofer
Custom enclosure (all wood)
ran audio feed wires to head unit and installed preamp output converter

How does it sound?
Absolutely awesome; a ton of bass with everything in it's closed position(seats etc.)
This 8" sub actually puts out a ton of sound and is comparable to a 10" sub.
I know alot of you guys have installed dual 10" or 12" subs but I don't think it's necessary.

Want one? I may build others for anyone interested (without electronics). I haven't worked out a price or specs but I want to see what interest there is. Any feedback will be appreciated. Any questions will be answered.

gadgetphreak
02-06-2005, 11:26 PM
That looks absolutely excellent. Well done..!

I would definitely be interested (depending on price) as I have been looking for something just like that but don't have time to build my own relative to other projects I have in the works...

Definitely let me know price/timing.

Congrats again,
Gadget

Tyler
02-07-2005, 12:15 AM
How do you have that mounted down? Say your break lights go out on the passenger side,won't it be a pain in the a butt to remove your box just to change a bulb.

ScnStlr
02-07-2005, 02:31 AM
Ah good question.
I used a block in the shape of the storage bin to lock it latterally into place and then believe it or not.. I used bungee cords connected to the luggage tie-down hooks (loops). It stays in place but i can still tilt it out and move it out of the way to change my stop lamps.
Besides how often do the lamps burn out? I think I've had one in the 8 years that I've owned the car go out.
I'm still working up a price.

96cali
02-08-2005, 11:44 PM
Wow that is cleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaan! Super job. :biggrin:

You've doen this before right?

ZeroG
02-09-2005, 12:59 AM
Hi Everyone. I've been researching for some time and then built my take on a "stock" looking sub woofer and amplifier installation.
Some of my goals:
1) retain cargo space was key
2) make it install with little alteration to interior work
3) make it easily removable for expansion and servicing.
4) make it look great and not look like an after thought

I think I've accomplished these goals. Don't you agree?

Equipment:
4 gauge power wire from battey to rear compartment
1.2 farad Tsunami capacitor (not necessary totally necessary)
Alpine MRD-M301 175-300 mono amplifier
Kicker S8L7 200-600 watt dual 2ohm subwoofer
Custom enclosure (all wood)
ran audio feed wires to head unit and installed preamp output converter

How does it sound?
Absolutely awesome; a ton of bass with everything in it's closed position(seats etc.)
This 8" sub actually puts out a ton of sound and is comparable to a 10" sub.
I know alot of you guys have installed dual 10" or 12" subs but I don't think it's necessary.

Want one? I may build others for anyone interested (without electronics). I haven't worked out a price or specs but I want to see what interest there is. Any feedback will be appreciated. Any questions will be answered.
Very clean. Good Job!!!!

mischief
02-09-2005, 02:30 AM
whats the weight on that unit

ScnStlr
02-09-2005, 02:40 AM
No first time building a sub woofer enclosure. I've done my share of audio upgrades over the years but this is the first time workign on a BMW that is not easy to upgrade. Thanks for the comments!
I started out making a foam core mockup, took my time and then translated that to wood.

ScnStlr
02-09-2005, 02:43 AM
Hmm good question. I didn't weight it. It does have some heft to it. I'd say 12-15 lbs w/o the equipment.

The actual woofer enclosure is made out of 3/4" stock and the rest of it that fits around inside of the trunk is 1/4".
The enclosure is approx. .40 cubic feet.

robcarync
02-09-2005, 04:38 AM
wow that looks beautiful...ive actually been thinking of concocting a box like that but wouldnt have a clue as to where to start

DerbyCity
02-14-2005, 04:10 AM
Nice job on the build and the post. I love the detail. What do you think about making the frame wood and the front plexiglass? I'd be interested in a box if you decide to sell any.

Chrisbailiff
02-14-2005, 04:23 AM
i'm personally not a kicker fan, but VERY nice install clean and good looking, nice job.

Chrisbailiff
02-14-2005, 04:25 AM
Nice job on the build and the post. I love the detail. What do you think about making the frame wood and the front plexiglass? I'd be interested in a box if you decide to sell any.

derbycity, im gunna recommend you stay away from plexiglass while building a custom box. plexiglass ruins your sound quality, unless you know exactly how to position it, and compensate for it :_paper:

ScnStlr
02-14-2005, 09:47 PM
derbycity, im gunna recommend you stay away from plexiglass while building a custom box. plexiglass ruins your sound quality, unless you know exactly how to position it, and compensate for it :_paper:

Yeah. I agree. I'm not "that" of an expert and i'd have to redesign the front panel as the whole thing is 3/4 thick which is hiding the wires and holds up the amp as well as being the front of the sub enclosure.

ScnStlr
02-14-2005, 09:59 PM
Pricing. I'm thinking about building them for $180.00 w/o electronics, plus shipping.

This would be the enclosure with fabric covering and all other hardware to hold it in place. I don't think the capacitor is really need and that can be eliminated in the design. You would also have to buy the same equipment that I did. I do not want to manage changes in the design.

I would also be interested in selling it without the fabric and cut-out for the amp for those who wish to use different amps @ $150.00.

The space is really tight and it was a challenege in getting the enclosure to be sized correctly to work within the sub specs and to fit nicely into the trunk.

In any of these options I would provide instructions , more photos and answer any questions.

I'm just an individual here and a huge fan of this site. I wouldn't be able to provide any warranties due to the misuse or damages. I will be fair and help wherever needed.

If you are in the Chicago IL area I could even do the entire install for you for an additional price.

robcarync
05-16-2005, 12:38 AM
alright man...i love your custom setup and im finally making it my summer project to make one similar to that...

i have two subs (10 inch) and i was looking to make a box similar to that ... one on each side for each sub and have the wires running underneith the carpet...and the amp probably mounted on one side on one of the boxes...

id use 3/4 inch ply obviously...

but since the wheel well makes that space an odd shape...im having trouble figuring out exactly how it fits in there...

though my box wont be exactly like yours...i was wondering if you could give any advice/tips on how to design it...because right now i dont know really how to get started.

particularly...i dont quite get how the box is enclosed on the curvey part near the wheel well since you cant curve 3/4 inch ply wood...

redbeemer
05-24-2005, 08:17 AM
I have been looking to do something like that for a really long time. I have gone to stores and they have said they can't even do that. I was wondering if you could put up some information as to how you made it adn what differnent parts u used.

thakns alot and great job!