PDA

View Full Version : M52 Head Gasket - Need help!

StefanF
09-29-2018, 08:29 PM
Hey everyone! So recently I picked up my first BMW, a 96' 318ti with a blown M44, so I purchased an M52 and am in the process of gathering parts in order to do the engine swap, along with a 5 speed conversion. The M52 had been sitting for a coupe years prior to me buying it so I figured it would be best to go through it and do some preventative maintenance while I have the chance with the engine being out of the car.

This brings me to my current question. I purchased a tool kit wit the camshaft locking tool, TDC Pin, and VANOS sprocket tool, and I will be borrowing the rest of the needed tools from a friend, but my question is, with the engine being out of the car, and the transmission not attached to the engine because it's on the stand, I obviously cannot use the TDC pin as it goes through the flywheel to prevent it from moving, so will this cause a problem and/or prevent me from being able to do the head gasket with it on the stand? I really hope this is not a super dumb question and I'm just over thinking it, but I thought I would ask so that i don't go to start the job and find myself with my hands tied haha. I really appreciate any input or advice and look forward to learning more as I continue building her!

I've attach a couple pics just because she's so nice to look at :smile: cheers everyone!