PDA

View Full Version : Cover for CA roof?

318tom
02-09-2005, 07:26 PM
Just purchased a '98 318ti with CA roof. I reside in Manhattan and keep it parked on the street, but am concerned about vandalism, particularly to the soft roof. (My neighborhood's very safe, but that canvas roof just seems to call out to passing hooligans.) I think that a complete car cover would be impractical and probably only draw more attention to the car. But I'm wondering if anyone's aware of a snap-on cover that could be used to protect the roof only. Any other ideas? (Unfortunately, putting the car in a parking garage will set me back about $300 a month.)

1996 328ti
02-09-2005, 07:57 PM
I think any cover is going to attract attention.
If people aren't slashing convertible tops I wouldn't worry about the open air roof.
I remember the parking space I had at 52nd and 8th more than 10 years ago.
I thought it was high then.

How about renting the garage spot and living in the car?
Little chance of getting an end spot in Manhattan. :(

96cali
02-10-2005, 08:31 PM
Depending on the color of your car it may stand out less than you think. Most people here don't know it's a soft top car until they see it fold.

318tom
02-16-2005, 09:28 PM
Thanks for the reassurance, guys. BMW calls the color "moreau green," though for the life of me, I'd swear it's blue. (Call me color blind.) Since the roof is black, it is does kind of stand out. But maybe I'm seeing it more than others would.

Maybe what I should really do is weigh the cost of replacing/repairing the roof (on the off chance it is ever vandalized) versus permanently putting the car in a garage.

Any idea what the cost to replace a California roof would be?