PDA

View Full Version : Turbo or Supercharged?

Shaggy
02-13-2005, 06:47 PM
I'm trying to figure out which would be better for my Ti. A turbo kit or the DASC kit that everyone says it really good. Help me out here please.

ZeroG
02-13-2005, 07:10 PM
I'm trying to figure out which would be better for my Ti. A turbo kit or the DASC kit that everyone says it really good. Help me out here please.

So I guess my opinion could be kind of byassed. It depends on what you are trying to obtain and how big your budget is.

-Chad

Shaggy
02-13-2005, 07:26 PM
So I guess my opinion could be kind of byassed. It depends on what you are trying to obtain and how big your budget is.

-Chad
I'm trying to obtain as much power out of my Ti as possible. I just need to know pros and cons about both kinds of kits. And my budget is not a real problem.

barische
02-14-2005, 01:39 AM
i think that u can get more hp outta supercharger,i know that dasc is really good and i think there is another supercharger kit which is better than dasc but i think it is around like $5000-6000 i think if u get a displacement for the ti and get the dasc then your car would totally be the beast of streets.

AlaskaBlue
02-14-2005, 04:09 AM
Hey if budget is not a problem why not get and S52 and an Active Autowerke turbo kit and get around 600 hp with a little tuning. Not very realistic, but it might be fun.

ZeroG
02-14-2005, 06:19 AM
I'm trying to obtain as much power out of my Ti as possible. I just need to know pros and cons about both kinds of kits. And my budget is not a real problem.

Now when you say power do you mean dyno numbers? Or maybe you mean power on the street. You can have a car pull a 600 HP number on the dyno however driveability is ****. Now if you want a car that is going to have great power and reliability, then its going to cost.

S/C's like the DASC make you feel like you have a bigger engine. I think the stock DASC kit you can beat most 325's and 328's. The car will make about 200 HP @ the crank.

The only turbo kit that I know of is made in Holland by Mosselman it is cheaper then the DASC but only creates like 170 HP @ Crank.

You could do a custom turbo set up which would probably run like 5K and your power number would be big but peaky meaning it will be hard to get big number with out a whole lot of lag.

-Chad

PettitWC
02-14-2005, 06:46 AM
A little off the subject but...if you end up going for forced induction Shaggy, would you be selling your cosmo intake?

GDB
02-14-2005, 03:45 PM
If you are looking for all out power then get a TC, or an non DASC supercharger, that way you can move more air. But both those options would require engine work to be able to handle the extra boost.

azs318ti
02-14-2005, 04:58 PM
If your budget is not a problem, i would do a M3 motor swap...becuase of the weight differences your car will be damn quick...then if you urbo your m3 motor you will kill anyone on the streests, that will set you aside about 8500$ depending on where oyu get the m3 motor (7000$ new)

DustenT
02-14-2005, 06:06 PM
[QUOTE=ZeroG]S/C's like the DASC make you feel like you have a bigger engine. I think the stock DASC kit you can beat most 325's and 328's. The car will make about 200 HP @ the crank.
QUOTE]

I hit 211 hp in my DASC'd '97 (with a g-tech). Only other mods are Dinan exhaust.

....of course it was only 14 degrees outside.... :biggrin:

I think the general opinion of ti owners is the DASC is the single BEST upgrade. Install it and forget about it, no real maintenance with it. It is amazing.

Shaggy
02-15-2005, 11:49 PM
I don't know alot of your guys opinions sounds good. I guess I gotta do alot of research on both kinds of kits. I might just buy a whole new M3 motor and supercharge that. But I don't know yet.

GDB
02-16-2005, 12:04 AM
I don't know alot of your guys opinions sounds good. I guess I gotta do alot of research on both kinds of kits. I might just buy a whole new M3 motor and supercharge that. But I don't know yet.

That's probably your best bet. Just hand around for awhile and do your research. If you are thinking about going FI then I would suggest getting Maximum Boost by Corky Bell and at the very least check out howstuffworks.com and look at their explanation of super/turbo charger systems. Both of those sources provide alot of basic information for you to build on. Just do your research and figure out what will work best for you (what kind of power you want, what kind of budget you have, etc.).

AlaskaBlue
02-16-2005, 03:28 AM
Now when you say power do you mean dyno numbers? Or maybe you mean power on the street. You can have a car pull a 600 HP number on the dyno however driveability is ****. Now if you want a car that is going to have great power and reliability, then its going to cost.

S/C's like the DASC make you feel like you have a bigger engine. I think the stock DASC kit you can beat most 325's and 328's. The car will make about 200 HP @ the crank.

The only turbo kit that I know of is made in Holland by Mosselman it is cheaper then the DASC but only creates like 170 HP @ Crank.

You could do a custom turbo set up which would probably run like 5K and your power number would be big but peaky meaning it will be hard to get big number with out a whole lot of lag.

-Chad

http://activeautowerke.com/cars/One%20Lap%20318%20Tii/default.asp

This is the 1999 winner of the One lap of America for Mid-priced sedan and 3rd overall.

It doesnt have 600 hp but it has 465. It was a daily driver with 465 reliable horsepower. There are others with 600 bhp that are reliable daily drivers.

mischief
02-16-2005, 05:29 AM
ok 465 but thats with a 3.0 BMW M3 engine
not a m42-m44 motor

barische
02-17-2005, 04:25 AM
dasc, high flow injectors, cams wiht titanium valve springs, chip, exhaust, cai, displacement to 2.1 liters. then u will be smokin people really bad, order all of these parts and give lots of moeny to a experienced bmw mechanic then u will have urself a one hell of a maniac animal horsepower crazy bmw.

Shaggy
02-17-2005, 09:20 PM
Yeah all that stuff in my car would be awesome. The only problem is its going to cost a hell of alot of money and I cant do everything at once. But I still havnt decided what I wanted to put in my car yet.

RAiMA
03-07-2005, 03:21 AM

I could get you an uprated M44 engine like mine, but it's not going to be cheap. It'll definitely be something different and you'll give 6cyl cars a good run for their money :) You'll have the option to either SC or TC, depending on your preference. Ours is SC'd. Are you interested in getting one done and imported?

Shaggy
03-09-2005, 12:27 AM
I am not familiar with what you are talking about. SC or TC, explain to me what it is cause im stupid when it comes to cars, kinda why i'm asking you guys.

AlaskaBlue
03-09-2005, 01:56 AM
SC= Supercharged TC= Turbocharged

bmwhartgeM3
03-11-2005, 01:01 AM
does anyone have links to the TC and SC kits?? im interested.

1.9lz
03-11-2005, 05:53 AM
RAiMA i am itrested in your engine preperation, I sent you an e-mail with some questions

Henry80
04-17-2005, 09:56 PM
A lil off topic... What about for a M52 2.8L engine? TC or SC? Suggestions would be awesome thanx.

Caleb

mickd
04-17-2005, 10:55 PM
maurolin, youv'e got too much power! Kidding aside, you should get in touch with Active Autowerke and see if you can coax the setup of the ti that won it's class in the '99 One Lap of America out of them. It would probably be close to your setup with the M52 in a '95 chassis, there's was a turbocharged M50 in a '95 w/465hp, 12 sec 1/4. This has to be the fastest street legal ti. It had to have been able to corner to take 3rd overall and 1st place mid price sedan class. 1st place overall was a Mosler Raptor, 2nd was a Lamborghini Diablo. They do give a pretty detailed description of all the components used on the car. http://www.activeautowerke.com/cars/One%20Lap%20318%20Tii/default.asp

http://activeautowerke.com/cars/One...Tii/default.asp

This is the 1999 winner of the One lap of America for Mid-priced sedan and 3rd overall,

It doesnt have 600 hp but it has 465. It was a daily driver with 465 reliable horsepower. There are others with 600 bhp that are reliable daily drivers.
You could have at least given me credit on my post, never heard anyone on this board mention the One Lap of America ti.

mickd
04-17-2005, 11:18 PM
AlaskaBlue, do a search on "One Lap of America" (exact match using quotes). I had my ti 3 years before this event even happened, and heard the results real time. This wasn't somthing I "just found" on the web.

gooten1
04-18-2005, 01:04 AM
My understanding is this... a supercharger will give your car more horsepower. If you're looking for quickness, a turbocharger will increase your torque and make the car accelerate quicker. With a SC, you get all your power available all the time. With a TC, you have to wait a second for the revs to build up to "spool" the turbo (get it up to speed where it makes power) but will get the added power under acceleration instead of at cruise like a SC.

m44ic
04-18-2005, 07:03 PM
sc-instant power all the time especially down low
turbo-more power potential with more boost but also comes with lag especially in smaller motors

Henry80
04-19-2005, 01:09 AM
No dice on info for a TC or SC for a 2.8L I6?

m44ic
04-19-2005, 02:45 AM
No dice on info for a TC or SC for a 2.8L I6?
www.aatuning.com

Henry80
04-19-2005, 08:49 PM
Righteous man, thanx :)

myblueTI
06-06-2005, 01:44 AM
so will a turbo or s/c be a faster car to 60 mph on the streets and will it be able to keep up with an m3?
:2gun:

m44ic
06-06-2005, 03:17 AM
so will a turbo or s/c be a faster car to 60 mph on the streets and will it be able to keep up with an m3?

with the DASC you should be able to keep up with a m3 but with the stock mosselman turbo kit more boost will need to be added cuz they only make like a 150hp on stock boost. I think the kits make like 5 lbs but with a boost controller you can bump it up to 8 or 9 lbs with no problems.

maurolin
06-06-2005, 02:43 PM
out of the dasc subject.... but this is becoming a HUGE dilema for me....:

AA CF superChgr: $5600 Intercooled, but Zero room to grow n upgrade
AA TS Sprchgr $7900 Intercooled great piece but $$$DDDAAMMNN$$$
RMS Vortex Schgr $5599 Dinan copy, not intercooled, heard bad stories. looks good
Dinan schgr $6000 it's just Dinan, not intercooled. they won't tune.
Tuning tech Turbo $6800 Complete AND Tuned.

here are the links... what do u think i should do???
http://aatuning.com/Supercharged/E36-M3supercharger.cfm

http://www.racemarque.com/shop/asp/default.asp

http://www.techniquetuning.com/e36obd2turbo.htm

http://www.dinanbmw.com/

myblueTI
06-07-2005, 03:13 AM
Dude you have to go with the tunning tech turbo i think it seems to be the best plan and the cheapest because non of the others are tunned so i think that is the one....

[QUOTE=maurolin]out of the dasc subject.... but this is becoming a HUGE dilema for me....:

AA CF superChgr: $5600 Intercooled, but Zero room to grow n upgrade
AA TS Sprchgr $7900 Intercooled great piece but $$$DDDAAMMNN$$$
RMS Vortex Schgr $5599 Dinan copy, not intercooled, heard bad stories. looks good
Dinan schgr $6000 it's just Dinan, not intercooled. they won't tune.
Tuning tech Turbo $6800 Complete AND Tune :

maurolin
06-07-2005, 03:42 AM
well they all have a chip includded... so tuned they are all are.... but i don't want to blow anything up!!! turbos scare me. too many things can go wrong.
I know they make the most power... but... damn... I want a reliable car.

and superchargers are harder to tune and less effective.
I mean,I am going to spend a load of cash on this thing... not includding the install... so I am actually going to drive to Pompano beach and visit with Tuning technique and see if they will deffinately sell me into it.

I will also go to AA to drop off my car for some adjustments. and get the scoop on what's best from me.

I will post all the pics and vid of all the crazy new things I've done so far... just lemme get some more free relaxing time.