PDA

View Full Version : New Member Saying Hi and Question

Deepsky
02-16-2005, 11:10 PM
I recently joined and just wanted to post and say hi to everyone. My name is Justin and I am now the owner of a 97 ti.
I have a question about an engine temperature problem and before taking it somewhere I want to get some opinions on what it could be. The engine temp never leaves "cool" unless i've been idling for awhile and then when I start driving it again it drops back down, thus no heat. My first thought was that a thermostat was malfunctioning and keeping my fan running constantly but that dosen't seem to be the problem. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

GDB
02-17-2005, 01:42 AM
It could be your thermostat is stuck open.

m-technik_ti
02-17-2005, 06:08 AM
Most likely the thermostat is stuck in an "open" position. I had the exact same problem a couple of months ago; it’s not an expensive fix.

ClubSport
02-17-2005, 09:24 AM
Most likely the thermostat is stuck in an "open" position. I had the exact same problem a couple of months ago; it’s not an expensive fix.

Same here. It was only sticking open a couple mm, but that was enough.

Deepsky
02-17-2005, 01:06 PM
Thanks for the input, i'll check my thermostat.

aceyx
02-17-2005, 05:47 PM
drive around with the HVAC set to the coolest position with the fan on high. try and keep a constant speed and turn the dial to hot. if the temp drops suddenly, it is most likely the thermostat.

i just did a replacement in december, cost about $30 total and took maybe an hour and a half including bleeding the coolant system.

use PB-blaster or equivalent penetrating spray. wd40 is not suitable. if you snap a bolt, it should still be okay (don't ask me how i know).

but if you do, i have a set of stud removers i'm willing to lend out.

96cali
02-17-2005, 07:19 PM
Just paid to have this done. Part was $43.00 and coolant was $17/gal all OEM parts/fluid. Labor including diagnosis was about 2 hours.

durnadupa
02-17-2005, 07:55 PM
When I had this same exact problem, I also assumed it was the thermostat. I took it to the mechanic and he said that somehow and airbubble had formed in the pipes, thus messing up the thermostat... All he did was drain it and it worked perfectly after that.