PDA

View Full Version : Need urethane subframe bushings

1996 328ti
02-20-2005, 05:40 AM
Anyone know where I can get urethane subframe bushings?
One bushing is weak and one will be shot after my next driving school.

clex2
02-20-2005, 03:20 PM
Steven,

Try Ireland Engineering. They have subframe bushings for the ti. Look under the BMW e30 section

http://www.bmw2002.com/

1996 328ti
02-20-2005, 04:13 PM
Thanks. I have shopping list of things that need to be done in a few weeks. :(

CirrusSR22
02-20-2005, 08:17 PM
I have Irelands in my pile of parts for a rear end re-build.

Over on the bf.c z3 forums, people seem to rave over them.

ClubSport
02-20-2005, 09:17 PM
I installed the IEs in my ti a couple weeks ago. Let me know if you're doing the install yourself, I've got a way I can save you the expense of finding/buying the special removal tool.

1996 328ti
02-20-2005, 09:29 PM
Thanks. I'm going to have my independent install them.
We are also chasing down some tranny and oil leaks at the same time.

CirrusSR22
02-20-2005, 10:16 PM
I installed the IEs in my ti a couple weeks ago. Let me know if you're doing the install yourself, I've got a way I can save you the expense of finding/buying the special removal tool.

I've heard some people just cut them out somehow.

I have parts for my own design tool to remove them. I just need to cut a few pieces, and do some welding.

ClubSport
02-20-2005, 11:30 PM
Yeah, it's kind of ghetto, but a 1 3/4" hole saw and a sawzall is the ticket. Cut out the inner core of the bushing from above and below, using the hole saw. It's rubber so it cuts quickly, but smelly. Then cut out a piece of the outer shell, and you can knock it right down and out. Be careful not to go through the bushing shell and into the subframe metal when using the sawzall.

Once you get each end of the subframe off their mounting studs and get enough room to maneuver the hole saw and drill, should take about 15 min per side to cut out the bushings.

I HAD to disconnect the brake lines to get the subframe off though. There was just not enough slack in the rubber lines to move it off the studs without doing so. Did not disconnect the parking brake cables though. YMMV.

I've heard some people just cut them out somehow.

I have parts for my own design tool to remove them. I just need to cut a few pieces, and do some welding.