PDA

View Full Version : AT shifting question, thoughts?

justintyme
02-21-2005, 08:25 PM
Hey everyone, so a quick question about my AT. The first time that I drive the car everyday the first few times the car goes to shift the RPM's get to about 3000 - 3500 and the car doesn't shift as it should. It will "stick" in the gear for about 3 - 5 seconds before advancing to the next gear. It really only happens through the first few minutes of driving and first few shifts then all the rest of the shifting is smooth as can be! So as noted in my first post, I will admit that I am not real car savvy so I thought I would check in with you guys and see what you thought. So the general questions is: Is this something that I should be concerned about or is this just the car "warming up"? Thanks!

barische
02-21-2005, 08:43 PM
yeah its warming up same thing at my car too

Tyler
02-21-2005, 10:45 PM
It does that so the engine warmes up quicker,i believe the Lexus are the same way.

CirrusSR22
02-21-2005, 10:59 PM
mine does it as well. It's kind of akward.

GDB
02-21-2005, 11:41 PM
Have you changed your filter? If not then a clogged filter combined with the thicker cool oil could be causing that. I would think the car would want to keep the revs down when it's warming up since the oil isn't lubricating as well.

DustenT
02-22-2005, 02:26 AM
Have you changed your filter? If not then a clogged filter combined with the thicker cool oil could be causing that. I would think the car would want to keep the revs down when it's warming up since the oil isn't lubricating as well.

I believe BMW doesn't recommend changing the oil (automatic transmission fluid). They call it "Lifetime Fluid," meaning you don't ever change it.

Automatic BMWs shift at a higher RPM when they are cold. This is to help warm the car up and most importantly to light off the catalytic converter. The catalytic converter needs to be hot in order to work right.

If the high revs bother you, as they do me. Try this: When you get in your car when the car is cold, push the "manual" button and put the shifter in 2nd gear, assuming you start out of city streets. It only takes about 2 or 3 minutes and the car will be warm.

Hope this helps.

GDB
02-22-2005, 04:49 AM
I know they have lifetime fluid, but I believe you are still supposed to change the filter. I could be wrong but I was under the impression you still changed the filter and added the necessary tranny fluid (what comes out during the change). But I don't know much about auto bimmers so I could be wrong.

Tyler
02-22-2005, 05:36 AM
From what i've been told by BMW that all automatics rev high when first driven in the morning unless it's the summertime when it's warm. i've had my car since 2000 and it's a 98 and it's done that ever sincce. I asked other people about also and they have said the same thing. You can always use the Tiptronic shifter (switch from automatic to manual)to control your own shifts if you want to. I always use that in the winter time cause i have better control of the car with the Tiptronic.