PDA

View Full Version : Rear Wiper

gooten1
02-23-2005, 04:27 AM
I've seen some ti's with the rear wiper, and some without. Was this an option? Standard? Were they removed or what?

bluebastion
02-23-2005, 04:33 AM
I think they are "deleted"... some people do this to their antennas too... just like "debadging". I can understand the rear wiper, or the asymetrical antenna, but the badge?

GDB
02-23-2005, 05:04 AM
I don't understand why someone would delete their antenna? Or their wiper for that matter, they both are very useful IMO.

CirrusSR22
02-23-2005, 05:26 AM
I don't understand why someone would delete their antenna? Or their wiper for that matter, they both are very useful IMO.

DaNO
02-23-2005, 05:51 AM
How the hell do you turn the rear wiper off?????

1996 328ti
02-23-2005, 06:16 AM
You press it once. It does another wipe or two then turns off. I did not know this of years.

CirrusSR22
02-23-2005, 06:46 AM
I give it a quick double-tap to make it go once.

Phil Marx
02-23-2005, 06:51 AM
So where's the fluid supply for the rear washer? If it's in front, where's the plumbing?

CirrusSR22
02-23-2005, 06:59 AM
Mine has no fluid squirter in back.... or does it? Now you got me thinking.

Actually I'm pretty sure it doesn't.

GDB
02-23-2005, 07:19 AM
Mine doesn't have a rear squirter. I thought it did for the first week or two I owned the car until I went on a quest to fix it, then realized it didn't exist. The rear wiper controls confused the hell outta me for several months too, I even read the owners manual to try and figure it out and that didn't help either.

m-technik_ti
02-23-2005, 07:36 AM
I swear i've only used mine once in the last 9 years of owning my Ti. I just remember turning it on by accident once, and the goddamn thing wouldn’t turn off, i had to shut my car off to get it to stop, that’s the last time i touched it. Its got a rear washer fluid squirter though; also seldom used.

gadgetphreak
02-23-2005, 10:52 AM
At least I'm not the only one who thought it was really unintuitive... i thought I was going to go insane trying to figure out the logic behind it...

1996 328ti
02-23-2005, 01:50 PM
It is one of the more stupid designs. I used to turn the car off and back on to turn the wiper off too.

L84THSKY
02-23-2005, 05:17 PM
Using it was a no brainer for me. It works exactly like my Scirocco does. My Scirocco has a squirter for the rear, and the resevior is in the trunk near the gas filler hose.

There still seems to be confusion as to whether the 318ti has a squirter. I have not found evidence of one.

At least I'm not the only one who thought it was really unintuitive... i thought I was going to go insane trying to figure out the logic behind it...

ZeroG
02-23-2005, 05:32 PM
Using it was a no brainer for me. It works exactly like my Scirocco does. My Scirocco has a squirter for the rear, and the resevior is in the trunk near the gas filler hose.

There still seems to be confusion as to whether the 318ti has a squirter. I have not found evidence of one.
I have a 99' TI sport that has a squirter. All you have to do is push and hole the windhield wiper stock for it to start squirting.

-Chad

aceyx
02-23-2005, 05:44 PM
my 97 base has a squirter. hold down to release fluid (uses front reservoir afaik, as i've never filled anything in the trunk). this will also turn it on intermittent.

single tap on, single tap off. double tap for single wipe.

you can clearly see the hose and nozzle if you lift the wiper blade. perhaps this was a regional thing? i'd be completely 'fd without mine (salted roads).

mickd
02-23-2005, 05:47 PM
The '95 has a rear washer too. It's from the tube that runs up the rear wiper arm. As Chad said, all you do is hold the stalk forward (push) to use the washer. The fluid comes from the same reservoir as the front washers, in the engine compartment.

L84THSKY
02-23-2005, 07:33 PM
That would explain no reservior in the rear. I will test the squirter later.

The '95 has a rear washer too. It's from the tube that runs up the rear wiper arm. As Chad said, all you do is hold the stalk forward (push) to use the washer. The fluid comes from the same reservoir as the front washers, in the engine compartment.

Phil Marx
02-23-2005, 07:45 PM

Isn't it nice when we can learn something new every day? Or, as my technicians used to write on the repair order in answer to a customer's lame suggestion that something wasn't working as it should: "RTFM". The first word is "read" and the last is "manual".

Now, where do you suppose that tube runs that comes all the way from the front of the car at the washer reservoir to the rear deck lid?

m-technik_ti
02-23-2005, 08:14 PM
Now, where do you suppose that tube runs that comes all the way from the front of the car at the washer reservoir to the rear deck lid?

yea? anyone know? Through the roof and down the A-pillar?

mickd
02-23-2005, 08:25 PM
yea? anyone know? Through the roof and down the A-pillar? Don't know the answer to that for sure, but I would think you are right, it probably does go up the A pillar and along the edge of the roof. When I picked up my car new it was Feb. here in WI and the rear washer line was froze so they brought it into the shop till the line thawed.

GDB
02-23-2005, 10:02 PM
Sweet, I'm gonna have to go see if I can make that bad boy work. I swear I learn about some new feature on my car atleast once a month. :biggrin:

aceyx
02-23-2005, 11:51 PM
people know about the window roll-up feature and the hatch light, yes? those are the only cool odd bits i can think of right now. maybe this should have a different thread. . .

GDB
02-23-2005, 11:59 PM
people know about the window roll-up feature and the hatch light, yes? those are the only cool odd bits i can think of right now. maybe this should have a different thread. . .

what about the hatch light?

1996 328ti
02-24-2005, 12:59 AM
what about the hatch light?
Pull the hatch switch out and it turns off the light when the hatch is open.
Another little known secret.

Phil Marx
02-24-2005, 01:22 AM
people know about the window roll-up feature...yes?
Sunroof, too, on my '98! I think it began with the '96 ti's. Key-off window and sunroof operation, too, on later years.

carloselloconyc
02-24-2005, 08:59 AM
what is this this roll up feture? what does it do? And for some reason my rear squirter is not working, it used to work all the way until last year, I just didnt care enough to try to get it fixed until now, I want to have my ride mint when I get back from Iraq. Can you guys tell me what might be the problem and where can I find that damn hose. thank you

Phil Marx
02-24-2005, 01:57 PM
what is this this roll up feture? what does it do?
Turn the key in either door lock toward "lock" and hold it there. The windows will roll-up and, on later cars, keep holding and the sunroof will close, too. PFM!

Did you also know that after you turn off the ignition and remove your key you can still operate the sunroof and windows until you open the door?

Anyone remember a similar feature on the old 3.0S that was declared illegal in the U.S.?

aceyx
02-24-2005, 09:34 PM
carlos; the rear nozzle might be clogged or the line could have debris in it.

unclip the rear nozzle from the arm (make sure that the plastic reasonably warm or it may snap), get a cup of warm to hot water and dip it in there for about 30 seconds and maybe even try clearing it with a pin. if it doesnt work after that, blow into the hose as hard as you can to try and force the debris back into the reservoir.

i imagine replacing the hose is a royal p.i.t.a. and not cheap to boot.

gooten1
02-25-2005, 02:29 AM
I know it doesn't have much pressure...but the squirter does run down from the top. It's a long way from the little pump to the squirter...it is kinda a pain to get it to actually wipe more than a sliver of the window...but it's there.

gooten1
02-25-2005, 02:31 AM
Phil, what was that feature on the 3.0? I'd like to get one, but I wanna know about them first.

L84THSKY
02-27-2005, 04:19 PM
I tested the rear squirter, it works. What amazed me was the squirter is mounted inside the wiper arm. To activate the squirter, push the wiper actuater forward and hold it.

I've seen some ti's with the rear wiper, and some without. Was this an option? Standard? Were they removed or what?

Phil Marx
02-28-2005, 01:39 AM
Phil, what was that feature on the 3.0? I'd like to get one, but I wanna know about them first.
Back in that vintage, the top-of-the-line BMWs had a feature that allowed you to run out to the car, open the driver's door, and roll the windows up or down without using the key, as long as the door was open. It was determined by the Feds that this was unsafe and it was later disabled.

aceyx
02-28-2005, 02:03 AM
wouldn't you need something to open the door in the first place . . . like the key?

if you're stupid enough to get carjacked in harlem at 3am while doing this, you deserve to have your car taken from you.

DaNO
02-28-2005, 03:29 AM
I stuck my hand in the window while it was rolling up, and it stopped, i was like "awsome!!" i dit not know this.. anyways....

gooten1
02-28-2005, 04:19 PM
Yeah...I put in a book, didn't want my hand crushed in case the window didn't stop....

L84THSKY
03-01-2005, 03:11 AM
I did notice that today, the squirter was kinda limp. I thought it was just clogged, but maybe it just doesn't have enough pressure.

I know it doesn't have much pressure...but the squirter does run down from the top. It's a long way from the little pump to the squirter...it is kinda a pain to get it to actually wipe more than a sliver of the window...but it's there.

aceyx
03-01-2005, 04:26 AM
there's a pill for that these days . . .

(sorry, but you really set yourself up for that one :biggrin: :biggrin: )

97Hellrot318ti
03-01-2005, 01:57 PM
You press it once. It does another wipe or two then turns off. I did not know this of years.

HAHA I'm not the only one... I swear upon everything holy, that rear wiper has a mind of its own. I would also swear that I've tried that and it didn't work. I generally just shut my car off whenever I want that wiper to turn off... haha.

bluebastion
03-01-2005, 02:07 PM
I knew about all the tricks of our cars: wiper on/off, window/cali. top close with keys, and auto-window-close-stop..... within the first week of owning the car in '98. How? I read the manual.... and countless hours of oogling and playing with the car in the garage. :rolleyes: Finding those easter eggs were some of the happiest times with my baby.... *sigh*

97Hellrot318ti
03-01-2005, 02:40 PM
I knew about all the tricks of our cars: wiper on/off, window/cali. top close with keys, and auto-window-close-stop..... within the first week of owning the car in '98. How? I read the manual.... and countless hours of oogling and playing with the car in the garage. :rolleyes: Finding those easter eggs were some of the happiest times with my baby.... *sigh*

I always tell myself I'm going to read up on that wiper in the manual, but I can never bring myself to do it. I guess I'm just lazy... I didn't know about closing with the key either... some new reading for me in the near future.

JPerfect
03-15-2005, 07:08 AM
I didn't know I had a rear washer on my 95 because it never worked since i bought the car in october. Finally, after about a month, i noticed that the pump made a noise when i pushed the lever forward... so then investigated, and viola! but it still doesnt work... probably clogged. i can't beleive that the tube runs from the front of the car to the back...

I also LOVE the buzzing sound when you open your door when your key is out of the ignition and your lights are on... that was a big problem with me and my old car... i havent had a dead battery yet! :biggrin:

L84THSKY
03-15-2005, 04:07 PM
That freaked me out the first time it happened. I knew the car was trying to tell me something, I just couldn't figure out what the problem was. Took about 5 minutes of that buzzer, before I realized the headlight switch was on. :x

I also LOVE the buzzing sound when you open your door when your key is out of the ignition and your lights are on... that was a big problem with me and my old car... i havent had a dead battery yet! :biggrin:

97Hellrot318ti
03-15-2005, 05:06 PM
It sounds like a friggin stall warning or something... I realized what it was the first time I heard it, but like I thought the car was going to explode or something... I really felt like she was just trying to tell me "Achtung!" because something really bad was about to happen.

Nelly_318ti
07-19-2005, 06:44 AM
oh you people crack me up! And I thought what a stupid questions it'll be if I asked on the forum about the rear wiper/ window up and so forth. I guess I'm not alone definitely!

Also did anybody ever see the movie Operation Condor with Jackie Chan? Did anybody notice the convertible the blonde girl was driving? It was a BMW right?

Sekurit
07-23-2005, 03:39 PM
I'm gonna eventually delete my antenna and the wiper once I get more time on my hands. I've used neither since I've had the coupe`. Did the same thing with my old Integra. I run an MP3 player and the radio stations in NC suck. On top of that, there wasn't an antenna on the car when I bought it. Didn't bother me at all. It would mos def look cleaner on the rear without the wiper.

cali-ti
07-23-2005, 03:42 PM
Also did anybody ever see the movie Operation Condor with Jackie Chan? Did anybody notice the convertible the blonde girl was driving? It was a BMW right?
bmw z1 ... sweet looking car! never imported to the US officially, but some people have done it themselves. i started looking for one after that movie ... think you can find them around $20k.

Commander Jameson
10-02-2005, 08:42 AM
Pull the hatch switch out and it turns off the light when the hatch is open.
Another little known secret.
Where is this switch of which you speak?

Also, could anyone tell me what's the proper name for the hose that runs along the rear wiper? (Mine's been damaged and needs replacing).

Another funny - is it possible to unlock the boot from the driver's seat while the keys are in the ignition?

Edit: D'oh! Should point out that I have a '99 318ti Club Sport (UK spec).

Shaggy
10-02-2005, 04:23 PM
Cool, I just tried the window roll up thing where you turn the key in the lock position outside of the car. That was so awesome. What else cool havn't I learned bout my car??

L84THSKY
10-03-2005, 03:08 AM
Are you sure about that? I always find myself putting the key back in the ignition to close the sunroof and windows. I know the car can close both with the key in the door. My new car alarm will also close both automatically, with just a push of a button on my keychain. :smile:

Did you also know that after you turn off the ignition and remove your key you can still operate the sunroof and windows until you open the door?

aceyx
10-03-2005, 05:32 AM
works for me.

shaggy, try this: (best if done at night with parking lights on) first, make sure your steering wheel is centered to give the best possible view of the gauge cluster.

put the key in, but don't turn it yet. hold down the odo reset button, then turn the key 1-click to the accessory position. release button, and watch the show.

there's another thing like this (i think it's the same thing from K1-K2) but i haven't done it in a while. all i remember is that it resets the trip odo and can give you digital readout of the speed where the miles are. there are a few other things, but again, i don't remember.

Viper3812
10-03-2005, 07:45 AM
shaggy, try this: (best if done at night with parking lights on) first, make sure your steering wheel is centered to give the best possible view of the gauge cluster.

I've seen that, the speedo goes from 0-150 in less than 10sec.

My rear wiper has squirters and I push and hold to turn my wiper on and it turns off automatic. If you tap it then the wiper will keep on moving until the car is shut off.

aceyx
10-04-2005, 11:17 PM
oh, don't ruin the surprise!

the other thing is here: http://member.rivernet.com.au/btaylor/BMWText/technical/CockpitInstrumentTestE36.html

i used it to check which maintenance was required next, as i'd forgotten somehow.

Tyler
10-05-2005, 12:24 AM
So where's the fluid supply for the rear washer? If it's in front, where's the plumbing?

Mine squirts in the rear,it uses the same tank in the front. If you hold the button down in the rear the fluid comes out as it wipes.

Tyler
10-05-2005, 12:31 AM
Are you sure about that? I always find myself putting the key back in the ignition to close the sunroof and windows. I know the car can close both with the key in the door. My new car alarm will also close both automatically, with just a push of a button on my keychain. :smile:

It works on my car,found most of this info out by reading my manual when i bought my car.

Tyler
10-05-2005, 12:43 AM
works for me.

put the key in, but don't turn it yet. hold down the odo reset button, then turn the key 1-click to the accessory position. release button, and watch the show.

there's another thing like this (i think it's the same thing from K1-K2) but i haven't done it in a while. all i remember is that it resets the trip odo and can give you digital readout of the speed where the miles are. there are a few other things, but again, i don't remember.

Now i did the thing above and what exactly is that for??

Also where did you see the other thing? I know you said u forgot how but where did u see it?

Haha nevermind i just saw the link..

L84THSKY
10-05-2005, 02:28 AM
I tried it....it works:biggrin:

It works on my car,found most of this info out by reading my manual when i bought my car.

PettitWC
10-05-2005, 02:46 AM
My rear wiper has a squirter. If you look at the stock (if yours is like mine ('97)) then there's a little diagram and I think if you pull it towards you and hold it then it will wash. The reservoir is the same on as in the front and your guess is as good as mine in terms of the plumbing. Hope this helps.

- Chris

aceyx
10-05-2005, 05:01 AM
tyler; it's just a gauge test and reads out some information from the computer.

i mean, it accesses the "secret" program that makes it faster:biggrin:

Tyler
10-05-2005, 11:30 PM
I tried the digital speedo today and man was that thing off. Just drove up the street and turned around. My needle said 20mph the digital saiid 29-30mph,when i was going 30 it said 45. Didn't expect it to be so off.

cpl
01-29-2006, 12:25 AM
Anyone here have a step by step to remove rear wiper? I think I'll do it next week-end.