PDA

View Full Version : Clear finish on rims...

prd318ownr
02-24-2005, 09:40 AM
I have some 18 inch. rims that are in pretty good shape, however I noticed that the finish is chipping a bit. Not the paint but rather the clear protecting layer.

Any idea on how to re-spray this finish or what?

Thanks..

mickd
02-24-2005, 04:32 PM
If the clear isn't too bad you could use rubbing compound to clean up the clear and remove any small irregularities, then cover the complete wheel face with clear. If the chipping is too bad to remove with compound, you might have to spot wet sand the individual spots, then clear. Don't sand into the color coat, use only the coarsest sandpaper you need. This is only an economical way to fix it, you should really chemically strip/bead blast the whole wheel and refinish it completely.

prd318ownr
02-25-2005, 11:31 AM
my rim is multi colored.. well silver and metal.. the outside portion is the part thats loosing finish, else wise its fine

mickd
02-25-2005, 03:26 PM
It has a polished lip? I would just tape off the lip and wet sand it until you are down to super fine paper and all the clear is off, then go to fine and superfine steel wool on the bare metal, should be able to get it to shine like chrome. You could clear coat it then, I would leave the clear off and just keep it polished with Flitz or Simichrome polish. I had a set of wheels that I took the clear off the lip and polished it and they looked better than new.