PDA

View Full Version : Found a 318ti i'm thinking of getting

asm0deus
02-28-2005, 06:15 PM
I found this 318ti (http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp?tracktype=usedcc&searchType=21&paId=165840588&pageNumber=0&numResultsPerPage=50&largeNumResultsPerPage=0&sortorder=descending&sortfield=PRICE+descending&certifiedOnly=false&recnum=3&leadExists=true&criteria=K-%7CE-%7CM-_5_%7CB-6000%7CA-5000%7CN-N%7CR-30%7CI-1%7CP-PRICE+descending%7CQ-descending%7CZ-27609&aff=national)

i know its an automatic and some people will be like 'blah blah get a stick' well i dont drive stick and i like to have a hand free for cell phones and other stuff. the owner is going to be coming by today for test drive and we're looking into purchasing asap. here's a brief rundown.

1996 BMW 318 ti hatchback
96,500 miles
$5,500
A/C: Front, A/C: Rear, Power Locks, Power Steering, Bucket Seats, Airbag: Driver, Airbag: Passenger, Anti-Lock Brakes, Fog Lights, Cassette Radio, Premium Sound, Power Windows, Rear Window Defroster, Rear Window Wiper, Alloy Wheels, Sunroof/Moonroof

just wanted some expert opinions from you guys, my goal is reliability so i'll be asking for service records and carfax etc. thanks in advance!

bluebastion
02-28-2005, 06:25 PM
Just for your information... (helpwise) the car in the ad is missing it's passenger side fog light cover, and is also missing the jack cover on the passenger side grey "side skirt". If you're fine with that, then you might want to consider asking for a discount as I don't know how easy it would be to pick up these missing items. The owner also seems shy in showing off the rear, and especially the driver's side. That's a little shady. Seats aren't shown much either, and as far as we can speculate, the back seats can be crap. If you're serious on this one, definitely look at it first. Don't rush, because you will always have another chance. Check ebay out too!... and I'm also bias, but I lean more towards the sport version, not active.

bluebastion
02-28-2005, 06:30 PM
ah... I hate to break it to you... just read your full post. There aren't any fogs in that car. I call bluff on that guy... unless those are pre installed car pics... which I doubt. If there isn't a switch on the right side of the intrument cluster that is identical to the headlight switch on the left side of the instrument cluster then he's just blowing hot air. Buy what will make you happy, don't settle for anything less with a car... or you're going to be pouring more money into it than you may want (just to get happy with it).

asm0deus
02-28-2005, 06:36 PM
i dont mind no fog lights but thanks for the heads up. i will ask him about it though. the other car im looking at is an 1994 acura integra w/ 76k miles @ $5650. so i'll go with whatever feels better.

bmw///m3///
03-01-2005, 07:55 PM
I wouild wait for a 318ti. I bought a ton of cars and my short life. Its always cheaper to pay a little more up front and get the better car than have to replace parts in ther long run. beleive me///

good luck on buy.

asm0deus
03-01-2005, 08:47 PM
im still considering, but i think the price is a little high. on kelley blue book this 318 should be around 4600, so if we can talk him down to around 4800 i would be all about it. he also said that the car was in the shop for scheduled maintenance which may mean he got a couple things fixed up to sell it for more. hopefully i can get him to bring it over today for a test drive.

robcarync
03-01-2005, 11:32 PM
that cars location is Cary, NC, where i live! WOW COOL!

im assuming you live around cary,nc as well asmodeus?

aceyx
03-02-2005, 12:04 AM
do you know what you're looking at in this car? engine bay, undercarriage, etc? is this your first used car purchase?

also check edmunds and completed ebay transactions. there's no better determination of the market than what people have actually paid, versus what some people think they should pay.

i agree with everyone here; hold out for what you like, especially if you're looking for a reliable ride.

asm0deus
03-02-2005, 03:18 AM
yeah i live in raleigh, and work in morrisville. my brother is really discouraging me from getting the 318, he seems to think we could find a 325 in the 6k range that will blow it away. i havent seen too much, theres alot of bmw's but $6k isnt enough for most of them. i've purchased 4 or 5 cars and only 1 or 2 i really liked. my boss who is paying for it seems to want me to get a luxury/sports car of some sort so i look good doing presentations and stuff, but my main concern is reliability. hondas are high priced for such high miles and im sick of toyotas. im semi-worried about maintenance costs on bmw's.

i also heard that you cannot use standard tow trucks when they need to be towed, i heard they require flat-bed (and more expensive) towing. does anyone know if this is true with the 318 also?

maybe you could take a look in auto-trader/cars.com and tell me what you would get in the $6k-6.5k range robcarync ;)

asm0deus
03-02-2005, 04:41 AM
robcarync, would also like to know if you know of the best place for bmw repairs/maintenance from past experience.

96cali
03-02-2005, 06:17 PM
Most people don't understand the difference between 318is, 325i, 328ic, etc. They see the BMW marque, then new body style or old but don't know the diff between 92-95 e36 and 96-99 e36. Then they see 2dr, 4dr, vert, etc and general condition. All that is to say you would impress more people with a good condition, shiny clean '92 318is than with a weathered '98 328is. If you are ever possibly taking people to lunch go 4 door.

How 'bout an old Lexus? Maxima?

BTW check into leasing a new car for tax advantages if this is a work vehicle.

robcarync
03-02-2005, 10:19 PM
well i have had my 95 TI for two years...i got it for 8700 dollars...and i originally wanted a 325i...but my parents were paying for it...i payed 8700 two years ago...so the same car would be less now. 8700 was the CHEAPEST bmw i could find that wasnt majorly old and had a billion miles on it.

maintaince bills can add up...most bmws are reliable and dont break often...but as with any car...there is a certain percentage of cars that have trouble...and mine was one of them...i havent had any major trouble like engine/transmission that left me stranded or in need of a tow truck....but it is still kind of annoying.

when i first got the car, i took it to Performance BMW in durham. it is a nice place, but may be over priced most of the time. i now take it to Renaissance BMW that is in cary off of chatham street. it is a small privately owned shop, and they are really nice.

last time i took my car to renaissance, my brake calipers were messed up. it was too expensive for me to fix at the time, so the next day i picked it up...and the guy (Gene Poole) charged nothing. granted he didnt fix the car, but most places will charge you some sort of diagnostic fee or other fee for leaving the car over night. he told me exactly what was wrong, what caused the caliper to get stuck, and answered all of my questions....(the place is also 5 minutes from my house vs. 35 for performance bmw)

now, i do most of the repairs myself with information i get from this site (changed my front calipers, pads, and rotors, with information from here)

i also took my car to renaissance to replace my starter...which was about 200 dollars cheaper than performance bmw (dealership).

so i guess my place of reccomendation would be Renaissance Auto Care. if you want the address let me know and ill find his business card.

but also keep in mind that most small repairs can be done by yourself (im 18, knew nothing about cars AT ALL when i first got the car, and have learned TONS of information regarding repairs and my car)

ill check out autotrader.com in a while...im about to leave now

sKunkman
03-11-2005, 05:03 AM
Is it just me or is that listed with pics of a Jeep???? I don't see a 318ti....it also says it has 8 cylinders! and 130k miles!

Andrew_Debbie
03-11-2005, 08:21 PM
goal is reliability so i'll be asking for service records and carfax etc. thanks in advance!

Just read all your posts.

I'm a BMW nut and think the ti is a great car. Compared to a '94 integra, I'd rather have the ti. It is 2 years newer. '96 was the first year with the better engine too.

I just don't think the 'ti is the right car for you.

Here is why:

The car is slow and noisy with an automatic.
The interior on a ti is cost reduced compared to other BMWs.
Rear seat is small and hard to get in and out of.
Car is 10 years old. It won't be as reliable as you'd like.

A sedan would be better for taking clients around.
Have you looked at a 325 or 525?

sKunkman
03-11-2005, 10:31 PM
Just read all your posts.

I'm a BMW nut and think the ti is a great car. Compared to a '94 integra, I'd rather have the ti. It is 2 years newer. '96 was the first year with the better engine too.

I just don't think the 'ti is the right car for you.

Here is why:

The car is slow and noisy with an automatic.
The interior on a ti is cost reduced compared to other BMWs.
Rear seat is small and hard to get in and out of.
Car is 10 years old. It won't be as reliable as you'd like.

A sedan would be better for taking clients around.
Have you looked at a 325 or 525?

Both of those are nice cars, but surprisingly, the ti has more interior room than either of those two cars. The only drawback is it's a 2 door; you dont want corporate executives cramming into the back of a small car. If you got the cash, go for a 7 series, theyre alot bigger but not nearly as sporty. AND I don't think they made any in manual :)

Andrew_Debbie
03-11-2005, 10:49 PM
Both of those are nice cars, but surprisingly, the ti has more interior room than either of those two cars. The only drawback is it's a 2 door; you dont want corporate executives cramming into the back of a small car. If you got the cash, go for a 7 series, theyre alot bigger but not nearly as sporty. AND I don't think they made any in manual :)

I've got an e34 535. It has more rear seat passenger room in every direction compared to our 318ti. The e34 has rear air and heat vents too. The e34 interior is higher quality then the ti. Real leather. Real wood. You'd expect as much from a car that was over $40,000 in 1990.

You can get a lot more cargo in the ti. The 535 has a surprisingly small amount of usable room in the trunk. Mine doesn't have fold down seats.

All the e34 sedans were available with a manual. Only 5% of 535 sedans sold in the US had a manual. I've driven a 530 with a manual. I once saw a 735 with a manual listed on eBay. Could have been factory but might have been a swap.

asm0deus wants an automatic. I've never liked the M44 with an automatic. The I-6 motors are a much better match with a slush box.