PDA

View Full Version : Adding the M3 Side Grills

sjp96ti
03-03-2005, 06:16 AM
I wanted to purchase the m3 side grills for my 318 and it says there very easy to mount and install. Can anyone tell me if its easy to install on your car?

m-technik_ti
03-03-2005, 07:16 AM
I was under the impression that you would need to cut into the front quarter panel to install them. The ones that i have seen were installed that way.

bluebastion
03-03-2005, 12:52 PM
Yeah, you will need to cut into the fender to install it... and I wouldn't recommend doing it yourself (unless you've got plenty experience in body work). Anyway you go (professional install, or self install)... I would recommend getting some extra fenders and installing the grills(gills) on those....you can buy after-market fenders (not OEM) pretty dirt cheap and atleast you can go back to the stock look with the original fenders if you're not pleased. Plus, the OEM originals will be kept in perfect condition, so if you ever (please don't) sell your car you can slap these puppies back on, and get a little bit more money back.

Here's a link to just one of the MANY ebay auctions for the grills:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7958427930&category=33645

As you can see there are no installation instructions plus all the auctioners are saying "all you have to do is drill them in".... ummm not if you want it to look like it's factory. If you just drill them in, then they would probably be sticking out by like an inch or two. So if you put these in have them installed professionally flush with the fender... that means the grills might be cheap (average $25) but the installation will probably cost an arm and a leg. Know what you're getting into if you do this. :)