PDA

View Full Version : It's Hammerstand time...

gadgetphreak
03-06-2005, 11:12 PM
So I picked up the Hammerstand from Bavauto.com

http://www.bavauto.com/assets/product_images/prod/hammerstand.jpg

and installed it this weekend. With it all the way at it's lowest setting it will still allow the clutch pedal to depress far enough for it to let the car start. It allows you to shift more smoothly by not requiring the clutch pedal to be pushed in as far for each shift, very cool.

Here's my question, what is the process to disable the clutch switch so that I can adjust the throw even shorter?

If I try to shorten the motion further at this point, the car won't start. It's probably pretty obvious how to bypass it if I crawl under the dash, but before doing that I thought I would see if anyone knew the process and any potential issues first...

Thanks,
Gadget

rendoll911
03-07-2005, 07:06 AM
i was wondering the same thing... anyone know?

L84THSKY
03-07-2005, 04:03 PM
I read somewhere how to make the clutch stop work with our cars. Instead of bypassing the switch, you just add a small block or rubber bump that extends out from the pedal. That way it reaches the switch when starting.

I will see if I can find where I read that.

So I picked up the Hammerstand from Bavauto.com

http://www.bavauto.com/assets/product_images/prod/hammerstand.jpg

and installed it this weekend. With it all the way at it's lowest setting it will still allow the clutch pedal to depress far enough for it to let the car start. It allows you to shift more smoothly by not requiring the clutch pedal to be pushed in as far for each shift, very cool.

Here's my question, what is the process to disable the clutch switch so that I can adjust the throw even shorter?

If I try to shorten the motion further at this point, the car won't start. It's probably pretty obvious how to bypass it if I crawl under the dash, but before doing that I thought I would see if anyone knew the process and any potential issues first...

Thanks,
Gadget

GDB
03-07-2005, 05:53 PM
That's a really good idea. My thoughts are to just duct tape the switch so it is always engaged, but I like your idea better.

L84THSKY
03-07-2005, 07:54 PM
It ain't my idea....but I'd like to think that I could have thought of it...... :biggrin:

That's a really good idea. My thoughts are to just duct tape the switch so it is always engaged, but I like your idea better.

gadgetphreak
03-08-2005, 02:19 AM
I did think of that, but I hadn't determined a way I feel will be secure enough... My concern would be being out somewhere and having the rubber bumper come off and then it won't engage and I will have to dig out the wrench to adjust the hammerstand and.... oh well you get the idea.

Let me know if you find that link.

rendoll911
03-08-2005, 08:22 AM
this is off topic but i just looked at your pictures gadget... and damn that is a beauty

such a nice ti

L84THSKY
03-08-2005, 02:52 PM
Put a rubber bump on it, then wrap a hose clamp around it. Then it ain't goin' nowhere..... :biggrin:

I did think of that, but I hadn't determined a way I feel will be secure enough... My concern would be being out somewhere and having the rubber bumper come off and then it won't engage and I will have to dig out the wrench to adjust the hammerstand and.... oh well you get the idea.

Let me know if you find that link.

bmw///m3///
03-08-2005, 11:37 PM
I definitely considered this mod but its gotta reduce yor clutch life in some way or they would have installed it stock on m3s or something???

L84THSKY
03-08-2005, 11:40 PM
Good point.....any rebuttals????????????

I definitely considered this mod but its gotta reduce yor clutch life in some way or they would have installed it stock on m3s or something???

schussey
03-09-2005, 02:31 AM
bigger clutch stops are the ****! i have the one from rogue engineering, the best $10 i have spent on my car...

gadgetphreak
03-09-2005, 03:39 AM
Rendoll911, thanks for the kudos...

Why would it shorten the clutch life? I can see if you set it so high that the clutch just barely engaged that it would continue to slip a bit as you were shifting gears, but that aside what other impact would this have?

I am ejoying having the shorter motion, even though it could be adjusted a lot shorter. Now I just need to get a short shift kit...

It never ends... <sigh>

L84THSKY
03-09-2005, 03:50 AM
Get the M-coupe shifter, it's only $50.00 from the dealer.

Rendoll911, thanks for the kudos...

Why would it shorten the clutch life? I can see if you set it so high that the clutch just barely engaged that it would continue to slip a bit as you were shifting gears, but that aside what other impact would this have?

I am ejoying having the shorter motion, even though it could be adjusted a lot shorter. Now I just need to get a short shift kit...

It never ends... <sigh>

bmw///m3///
03-09-2005, 04:54 AM

It never ends... <sigh>

You are right but Im looking at it from a long term standpoint. It probably willnot do any harm but it may wear out the clutch pressure plates sonner than usualsince I think its not fully disengeaged from the pressure plate. Dont mean to cause arguments with fellow members but just wanted to give my input. And I still think theres a possiblity of premature clutch failure. Its best to talk to dealer/high experienced bmw tech to get the real answer. I suppose time will tell, I hope im wrong because I want that mod along with m coupe shifter///

gadgetphreak
03-09-2005, 05:24 AM
For the record, it didn't sound like you were picking a fight at all... I appreciate the perspectives on this forum, I can always just choose not to listen to someone if I think they are full of S, but I can also choose to evaluate or research what they are saying and potentially save myself some $ and time.

I was just curious as to the reasoning behind your comment so I could consider the point further.

Thanks for sharing your opinion. I appreciate it.