PDA

View Full Version : shift knob loose while in gear

bmw318tiChic
03-12-2005, 01:22 AM
Recently, I have noticed that while I am in gear, the shift knob moves around (left to right) quite a lot. I'm thinking that I need new shifter bushings. Is this the problem? How difficult is it to replace the shifter bushings, and what is involved?

L84THSKY
03-12-2005, 03:23 AM
Can I assume you are referring to a manual transmission? If so, now is the time to replace the shifter as well. Total parts with new shifter is only about $75.00

Recently, I have noticed that while I am in gear, the shift knob moves around (left to right) quite a lot. I'm thinking that I need new shifter bushings. Is this the problem? How difficult is it to replace the shifter bushings, and what is involved?

bmw318tiChic
03-12-2005, 04:00 AM
Yes, I am referring to a manual transmission. Why would I need to replace the shifter as well? And do you know if it is difficult to replace the bushings (and shifter)?

L84THSKY
03-12-2005, 04:30 AM
You don't have to replace the shifter, but if you replace the shifter ball socket cup, you will end up removing the shifter arm anyway. That is the time to upgrade to a shorter shifter. You could just remove the shifter and replace the socket cup. The job isn't too hard, but you need to play around under the car.

I replaced my shifter last year, but I destroyed the shifter ball and cup getting it out. I was putting in a M-coupe shifter, so I didn't car what I ruined getting it out. There are procedures on the web explaing the whole thing.

Yes, I am referring to a manual transmission. Why would I need to replace the shifter as well? And do you know if it is difficult to replace the bushings (and shifter)?

Dredder
03-12-2005, 05:39 AM
It doesnt take that long to replace the shifter. I recommend getting short shifter. I got my ssk (comes with everything you need) from understeer.com for $95 including shipping. It comes with an excellent manual. It took me about 20 minutes to do. You just need simple house tools (2 flatheads screwdriver, a long nose pliers).