PDA

View Full Version : trying to get fuel filter out of the bracket?

Panzer_M
03-12-2005, 09:04 AM
I took off the 10mm nut on the bracket holding the filter, moved it about 1/2 inch downward, but can not for the life of me get the filter to move laterial so I can replace it.

what I am missing on this?

btw, since the car is off, there should be minimal gas in the fuel line, correct?

i got a spillage container for gas under there with me, but I wasn't sure how much to expect when I take off the old filter.

KIRASIR
03-12-2005, 01:23 PM
1) take the fuel pump fuse out
2) run the car dry
3) undo the filter braket and the hose clamps
4) take the hose off from one side of the filter and empty the ramains of the fuel into your drain pan. There should be about 100-200ml of gas inside the filter left at most.
5) take the filter off and replace with a new one.

It takes about 15 min.

SL

I took off the 10mm nut on the bracket holding the filter, moved it about 1/2 inch downward, but can not for the life of me get the filter to move laterial so I can replace it.

what I am missing on this?

btw, since the car is off, there should be minimal gas in the fuel line, correct?

i got a spillage container for gas under there with me, but I wasn't sure how much to expect when I take off the old filter.

cali-ti
03-12-2005, 02:29 PM
after it's replaced, should he run the fuel pump a few times before attempting to start the car?

sKunkman
03-12-2005, 04:07 PM
Related question, not meaning to hijack the thread, but how do I change the oil filter? My friend showed me where it was, but even with all the oil drained I couldn't get the cap off it. If its elsewhere I'd like to know, maybe ill take some pics.

L84THSKY
03-12-2005, 05:14 PM
Go to AutoBarn and buy this:

http://www.geocities.com/l84thsky/wrench.JPG
http://www.geocities.com/l84thsky/wrench1.JPG

Related question, not meaning to hijack the thread, but how do I change the oil filter? My friend showed me where it was, but even with all the oil drained I couldn't get the cap off it. If its elsewhere I'd like to know, maybe ill take some pics.

KIRASIR
03-13-2005, 01:50 PM
Nope, once the ignition is ON the whole fuel system is primed automatically.

So basically:

1) Turn the ignition ON(without starting the car yet)
2) Check for leaks
3) Start the car.

after it's replaced, should he run the fuel pump a few times before attempting to start the car?

cali-ti
03-13-2005, 03:24 PM
ok, i just wasn't sure one run of the fuel pump would fill an empty filter and lines. thanks for the info! :)

J!m
03-13-2005, 09:18 PM
I clamp the lines before and after the filter.

DON'T forget your eye protection- gas in the eyes is really not fun...

demeegod
03-15-2005, 09:43 AM
Yeah... what he said.. definately clamp.. c clamps work great... and make sure if you are clamping with metal to use something soft on the metal so it doesnt accidentally tear the line. And dont forget to take out the fuse!