PDA

View Full Version : 95,000mile tune-up questions

ElementalFiend
03-15-2005, 09:14 PM
My '95 Automatic is approaching the 95,000mile mark and I'd like to do a tune-up on it to keep it running as good as it has been. I'd like to do as much of this myself as possible to keep costs down also. My questions are:

1) I have read here that I need NGK spark plugs - but which type should I get and what gap shoudl I set them at?

2) I popped the hood and looked yesterday.. do I need to remove the intake to get at the spark plugs or what?

3) Does this car have a distributor cap hidden somewhere or what?

4) I am going to go ahead and replace all the belts. Does anyone have any suggestions on where I should get these? Just get the from the dealership?

5) What other things should I check and replace? I am fairly new to car maintenance, but I think I have decent knowledge about how the engine works from reading books.

6) What windshield wipers would you recommend? The last set I bought didn't fit right and the set before that did a pretty horrible job at clearing the window of rain.

Thanks ahead of time for any answers.

ElementalFiend
03-15-2005, 09:20 PM
Ahahah, I'm retarded. Looking more thoroughly through some of the other posts I see that that cover on the top of the engine isn't just for looks, its hiding the spark plugs! For some reason when I looked under the hood it looked like all the wires were leading under the intake, so I assumed they were there. This should make changing the spark plugs a heck of a lot easier.

Oh well, I could still use some answers on the rest of the questions, and now I have a new one. If the spark plugs are there under that cover.. why did I read someone recommending a 10" ratchet extension to remove them?

cali-ti
03-16-2005, 02:35 PM
you're not retarded (at least i hope not if you're driving around on the same roads i am :P), you're just inexperienced at working on your car (for now, that'll change :) ).

my first recommendation, if you are going to work on your own car, is to buy one or both of the service manuals for your car (bentley 3 series 92-98 more recommended than haynes).

1) spark plugs: you should be able to use either ngk or bosch. wherever you buy them (assuming a knowledgable source) should be able to tell you exactly what model is for your car. the manual that came with your car or one of the above should list the correct gapping for the plugs.

2) you already figured this out. plugs are somewhat deeply inset, thus the recommendation on the ratchet extension.

3) no distributor

4) haven't done my belts yet, but i was going to buy them directly from a bmw dealership. i've been working with crevier bmw in CA. they treat all online requests as if they're BMWCCA members. believe the website is www.crevierbmw.com. i work with vaheh bashikian directly now, vbashikian@crevierbmw.com. others may recommend pacific bmw, bimmerparts.com, pelican parts, etc. i think as long as you're getting bmw parts or high quality replacements, it shouldn't matter. i prefer bmw parts.

5) here's where the manuals come in handy again :) they list what parts should be checked and/or replaced at each service. think i got my bentley from amazon.

6) bmw ones are pretty good. a friend of mine swears by rain-x, if they are still available. perhaps others will have more recommendations.

joshydee
03-20-2005, 09:37 PM
Ive got the same problem with the trombone hose which is the return or feed pipe from the powered steering resevoir...... I think they become permeable because of age..... I was inspecting mine today and it looks an easy job, 2 House clips..... I need to order the part from BMW, ill let you know the order code if i find out tomorow. If your trying to economise i would definitely do it myself..... my wheel squeaks a little, i thought it was down to it not been taken in for the recall yet which it was taken into BMW the other day and the noise is a little less but still squeaky i think it may have been becuase the recall was for rack corrosion that put extra pressure on the system and so the pipe started to leak......