PDA

View Full Version : Rear Springs on 1999 Broke

318ti
03-20-2005, 06:03 AM
Hi and thanks for reading.

I had a odd noise coming from my rear end passenger side this morning. So I thought I would do the brakes since I had them, just waiting for warmer weather, Then I would investigate the noise.... Jack up the car on all four corners. I look at the rear passenger side and my spring is broken! Right at the bottom of the coil where it starts to coil smaller. It was a new break and the piece was laying on the half shaft from the diff to the wheel... hence the noise. I check the driver side and WTF its broken as well. It was rusty and looked like it had been missing for a while. Have any of you had the same problem? I just bought the car in December so I don't know the history that well.
So I'll be doing the springs shortly. But it surprised the heck out of me. I have never seen that before, never in all my cars over 30 years of driving.

Anyway thanks for your responses.
P

KIRASIR
03-20-2005, 05:20 PM
I know two guys personally (both from Toronto) who had the same problem. Do you live in an area with lots of pot holes?

What are you planning to replace the springs with? Aftermarket or stock?

SL

Hi and thanks for reading.

I had a odd noise coming from my rear end passenger side this morning. So I thought I would do the brakes since I had them, just waiting for warmer weather, Then I would investigate the noise.... Jack up the car on all four corners. I look at the rear passenger side and my spring is broken! Right at the bottom of the coil where it starts to coil smaller. It was a new break and the piece was laying on the half shaft from the diff to the wheel... hence the noise. I check the driver side and WTF its broken as well. It was rusty and looked like it had been missing for a while. Have any of you had the same problem? I just bought the car in December so I don't know the history that well.
So I'll be doing the springs shortly. But it surprised the heck out of me. I have never seen that before, never in all my cars over 30 years of driving.

Anyway thanks for your responses.
P

318ti
03-20-2005, 05:25 PM
Thanks - I live in Toronto as well. Usually avoid pot holes. But as I mentioned I just owned the car since December and I am not sure what the previous owner has done.

I think I will stick with stock Springs. But if I find a deal I may go the route of Sport spring and Shocks.

Many Thanks P