PDA

View Full Version : M50 TU Swap

Drew325ti
03-23-2005, 07:00 PM
Group-

Last summer I completed a M50TU engine swap in to my E36/5. I could not have done the swap with out both the 325is and the 318ti. I had maybe about 3 grand into both cars, that includes the purchace and fixing both cars. I love my "new" 325ti, but I have some issues with it starting. I think that it is something electrical, but the car seems to be running rich at start up. The E36/5 body is a '96, and the engine is OBD I (82,000 miles old). I can get the car started by feathering the gas or rolling it down the hill that I live on and popping the clutch in 1st gear ( I cant be doing that too much more, it seems unhealthy!). Sometimes if I hold my mouth right, she starts right up. Once she is going.... man... she goes! :biggrin: The engine was running fine before I pulled it, no trouble starting.

I have replaced the fuel pressure reg, both pumps are from a 325is, the tank is a stock 318ti. I have Bosh Plat. 2 plugs in there, along with a Green (simular to a K&N) square replacement filter.

Could ya'll help me out on what this prolbem could me? Did I forget to swap something? Could I have a bad injector? Or is there a electrical gremlin?

bmwhartgeM3
04-18-2005, 07:57 PM
sorry i couldnt help but how much did the whole thing run u? i might be able to come up with the engine cheap, but im limited on money and am thinkin i could save a few bills doin it my self.

maurolin
04-18-2005, 08:33 PM
well... it seems you have an ignition problem.
1st. get rid of PLATINUM plugs.
2nd, check the MAIN lead from the wiring harness to the fuse box (red wire to a 13mm nut on the side of the box)
give me more to work on... be more specific... description...

Drew325ti
04-20-2005, 12:53 AM
sorry i couldnt help but how much did the whole thing run u? i might be able to come up with the engine cheap, but im limited on money and am thinkin i could save a few bills doin it my self.

yeah the thing runs... she just has trouble starting thats all!

Drew325ti
04-20-2005, 12:59 AM
well... it seems you have an ignition problem.
1st. get rid of PLATINUM plugs.
2nd, check the MAIN lead from the wiring harness to the fuse box (red wire to a 13mm nut on the side of the box)
give me more to work on... be more specific... description...

main lead from the harness looks to be okay... but it could be alittle loose. It might have loosen up when we changed harnesses. [Edit: just went to check on it... and it is very much tight!!!!]

I have noticed that when the key is turned to the second position... as in on "run", the aux fan cuts on and runs until the car is started. Does this have to do with the car having touble to start? I can grind on the starter (as in holding it down for an extended period amount of time) until it starts... if i am lucky. The smell of gas at start up from the exhaust system is very strong. Some times I can get her to start by holding down on the gas or by pumping it.

Dredder
04-20-2005, 03:55 AM
It seems like your having ignition problem, my guess. Double check on your wiring. Pull out that bently manuals and make sure everything its wired properly. Use your diagnostic tool to check for code error. My suggestion would be that this is the part where you get professional help. It shouldnt cost you no more than $200. Have a BMW shop or dealer diagnos your car. Just to double check on your work. I'd rather be safe than sorry. You have put too much time and effort on this job and have it fail for something minor that you have overlooked. The worst part, you can blow your engine.

Drew325ti
04-20-2005, 04:07 AM
Dredder-

You might be right: this might be the part where I take it to someone to recheck my work. Sometimes the mistake is right infront of your face, even though you cant see it. Perhaps a fresh pair of eyes on the matter is a good thing. Thanks for your help.

Dredder
04-20-2005, 04:44 AM
how us some pics. i just got mine back from the from s50 conversion

Drew325ti
04-20-2005, 07:07 AM
http://members.roadfly.org/reborn325is/M50.jpg

http://members.roadfly.org/reborn325is/24.jpg

I am still waiting on that check from the woman that hit me on April 1st! When it does get here, which should be soon, I am going to get my E36 M3 bumper. I will have picks of that up as soon as that project is completed.

Dredder
04-20-2005, 12:20 PM
Looking good so far. Did you do the fan delete mod? Are you getting any error codes? have you check to see if your coil is still good? Goog luck tryin to fix your troubles...

Drew325ti
04-20-2005, 02:58 PM
No error codes, No Check Engine light..... this is interesting.

Dredder
04-20-2005, 10:35 PM
You mention that you can start the car by rollong down the hil. I guess this is the hardest part of the build, guessing whats causing the engine to not start. Could be the coil? could be the starter? I hear your frustration, my best bet is take it to bmw shop. You have already done the core of the build. This is where the professional bmw shop comes in handy. Sorry im not of any help. good luck.

Drew325ti
04-20-2005, 10:40 PM
You mention that you can start the car by rollong down the hil. I guess this is the hardest part of the build, guessing whats causing the engine to not start. Could be the coil? could be the starter? I hear your frustration, my best bet is take it to bmw shop. You have already done the core of the build. This is where the professional bmw shop comes in handy. Sorry im not of any help. good luck.

Thanks for your help...