PDA

View Full Version : Heeelp!!

Jaydoo7
03-25-2005, 07:22 PM
MY car started overheating.. I noticed that the fan isnt kicking on at all... so i figured i'd try the thermostat... didn't work... I looked at the fan again and it totally seized up.. I can't get it to move at all... do I just need a new fan??? and where can I get one??? thanx for anyone's help

aceyx
03-25-2005, 08:21 PM
can you explain what you mean by "tried the thermostat"?

off the top of my head, fan clutches can fail if the engine overheats so it might need replaced. based on the fact that it's dead in the water, this could be your problem.

there might also be a relay for the fan that may have burned out. you'll definitely want to check this out as well (otherwise you'll have to replace the fan clutch all over again).

Boxbrownie
03-26-2005, 01:02 PM
If the fan (electric) cannot be moved at all, just check nothing had become lodged in there first preventing the fan from rotating, if all looks clear it would seem your motor has seized......OUCH! I suppose you could try disassembling it and freeing it up......failing that a new fan motor/assembly would be required. If the fan can be moved then obviously the next course of action would be to investigate the electrical ciruit/fuses/thermo switch.

Best regards and good luck David

Jaydoo7
03-27-2005, 09:14 AM
thanx for the replies guys...

UPDATE

my dad took the fan out, and got it turning, put it back together, and the car did the same exact thing... The thermostat was changed not that long ago? should we try that and see if that fixes it?or could it possibly be the fan sensor???

Boxbrownie
03-27-2005, 03:16 PM
disconnect the fan and put power to it, see if it runs using outside 12volt supply....if not the motor is buggered.....if it runs then it may well be the thermostatic switch/fan sensor.

Best regards David