PDA

View Full Version : Is their a safe way to do a doughnut???

canadian_ti
03-28-2005, 06:30 AM
Hey,.. I was just wondering if their is a safe way to do a doughnut/burnout or brakestand? or am I just better off to forget about it? I can drift my car pretty easily but, i'm afraid to break something. Now I figure since it's a BMW that it's tough and I can handle pretty much anything.

Anyhelp is great!
thanks.

GDB
03-28-2005, 02:16 PM
doughnuts are a bit hard to pull off with the IRS and lack of torque. Basically if you want to do a doughnut just get out in a parking lot with lots of room so you don't have to worry about hitting anything and go for it.

For a brakestand just do a normal burnout, but as soon as you get off the clutch then get on the brakes. Then enjoy the smoke and hope that you don't have expensive tires on your car.

DustenT
03-28-2005, 05:26 PM
Step one: Install supercharger.

Step two: Turn wheel.

Step three: Floor it!

http://180customs.net/video/BMW-Donuts.wmv

This is how I spent Easter. It finally made it above 50 degrees!!

hsvbama318ti
03-28-2005, 06:49 PM
You dont have to have a supercharger, just cock the wheel far right or left, rev up and drop the clutch.

DustenT
03-28-2005, 08:22 PM
You dont have to have a supercharger, just cock the wheel far right or left, rev up and drop the clutch.

The supercharger helps, I don't have a clutch to drop. Plus, I don't have to rely on "clutch kicks" to keep the rpms up.

sKunkman
03-28-2005, 10:14 PM
It's not that hard to do...I can do it when turning my wheel with ACS off. Rain or shine. Rain its much easier, but dry its still not hard to do.

aceyx
03-29-2005, 12:13 AM
NOTE: I AM NOT LIABLE FOR YOUR CONSEQUENT ACTIONS TO THIS POSTING. IT IS SUGGESTED MERELY AS THE RESULT OF MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCES. YOURS MAY VARY AND COULD RESULT IN INJURY, DEATH, DAMAGE TO YOUR CAR AND BREAKING LOCAL LAWS.

when you're doing doughnuts, you're putting a large load on the outer rear wheels, and this continues (albeit lesser) as the tires lose traction. basically, make sure you do it in both directions.

i can only spin counter-clockwise, but my j-turns are the same so i hope it evens out. remember that bimmers have a natural "lean" on a flat surface.

ASC off, going about 40mph (3/4th), tap the brakes to bring the load to the front tires, pound them to slow down and bring more weight forward, a quick jerk of the wheel to the right, then crank it to the left while dropping into second, heel-toeing it into gear (save your synchros by rev matching) and pin the throttle.

depending on your tires, speed and road conditions you may have to upshift into third (you'll hit the limiter pretty fast if the tires are freespinning), at which point you'll want to drop the clutch otherwise you'll get traction again.

DO NOT DO THIS ON A DOWNWARD SLOPE.

canadian_ti
03-29-2005, 02:36 AM
Am I gonna break anything or can my bimmer withstand it??

m44ic
03-29-2005, 02:54 AM
your bimmer will handle it with ease if you dont hit anything(curbs, lightpoles, other cars etc...) the only thing that will be taking a beating will be your tires. :biggrin:

AlaskaBlue
03-29-2005, 03:57 AM
hehe...I am working with my friend on a video of sliding corners, burnouts, doughnuts, racing and other random stuff. Hopefully it willl be done in a few months. If anyone wants to be in it let me know.

aceyx
03-29-2005, 05:05 AM
alaska; where in indiana are you? might have a free weekend to lay some rubber for your video.