PDA

View Full Version : whinning noise?

bmwhartgeM3
03-29-2005, 02:24 AM
does anyone elses M44 whine like the belts are slipping constantly? i checked my altenator and belts all are fine and idk if its just a normal noise?

AlaskaBlue
03-29-2005, 02:28 AM
I have a whining noise, but I am pretty sure that is coming from the metal DOHC belt.

mickd
03-29-2005, 02:49 AM
I had alot of noise coming from the belts/pulleys too, at around 70K miles. It was the bearings on the tensioner pulleys/idler pulley. These are normal wear items. I replaced both tensioner pulleys and one idler pulley and both belts, all was quiet. Parts cost around $200 with the club discount at the dealer.

mickd
03-29-2005, 02:50 AM
I have a whining noise, but I am pretty sure that is coming from the metal DOHC belt.
We have a double row timing chain. Could also be a timing chain tensioner failing, but I doubt it unless the car has ALOT of miles. I think the tensioner was improved on the M42 before the ti was released here in the states.

bmwhartgeM3
03-30-2005, 03:20 AM
i have the M44 and it only has 85k on it, belts were just replaced? if this provides more info for u.

marcus2116
03-30-2005, 04:28 AM
its the tensioner pullys most likely

rennerb
03-31-2005, 03:39 PM
I had a whining noise, turned out the cause was a collapsed crankcase breather hose and bad vent valve.

bmwhartgeM3
03-31-2005, 11:02 PM
I had a whining noise, turned out the cause was a collapsed crankcase breather hose and bad vent valve.
well funny u mention that cause of my compression prob. sounds like i might have a hung up valve or bent. how much was it to fix, and where was the collapsed hose?

rennerb
04-01-2005, 02:18 AM
It wouldn't have anything to do with a compression problem that I know of.

I am just talking about the breather line from the valve cover to the breather valve on the intake manifold. The only hose attached to the valve cover.

The other thing I thought of is that it only whined when idling or at a slightly higher rpm. Don't know if it is the same for you.
Mine sounded just like slipping belts or a pulley going bad. Very difficult to pinpoint.

But honestly......after reading your original post, I don't know if mine is an M44. Little ignorant of the designations.

m44ic
04-01-2005, 07:17 PM
does anyone elses M44 whine like the belts are slipping constantly? i checked my altenator and belts all are fine and idk if its just a normal noise?

dont worry thats just the supercharger I slipped in while you werent looking :biggrin:

bmwhartgeM3
04-02-2005, 10:30 PM
dont worry thats just the supercharger I slipped in while you werent looking :biggrin:
haha i know thats just what i tell my friends.