PDA

View Full Version : Son of a .........

Drew325ti
04-01-2005, 10:16 AM
Not a very good way to start my April Fools day here in the states. Some dumb sorority chick desides to back into my parked car at 3:30 in the morning. Not a good way to wake me up!!! The ironic thing about this is that she was driving a E46 325Ci! She made a nice crack into the fiber glass (aftermarket E46 M3 front bumber). I try to post pictures of it to see if it can be fixed alittle later.

cali-ti
04-01-2005, 11:54 AM
DOH! did she at least hang around so that you could get her insurance info? and did you say dumb or drunk? :p

that sux, but if you got her info, at least you'll get your baby fixed up. hopefully there's no significant damage other than the bumper cover. maybe she'll bake you some cookies or something to make up for it ...

97Hellrot318ti
04-01-2005, 01:17 PM
Not a very good way to start my April Fools day here in the states. Some dumb sorority chick desides to back into my parked car at 3:30 in the morning. Not a good way to wake me up!!! The ironic thing about this is that she was driving a E46 325Ci! She made a nice crack into the fiber glass (aftermarket E46 M3 front bumber). I try to post pictures of it to see if it can be fixed alittle later.

Sorry about the car man! I feel your pain, someone keyed mine after a party at my fraternity house, and no one even has anything against me. Still haven't found out who it was, probably never will. Found it out the next morning when I woke up. Waking up to find your parked car damaged is a horrible thing.

I can't make up my mind about the e46 m3 bumpers on the ti... I mean the styling cues certainly aren't the same... but I haven't seen enough pics to make up my mind on it. Thinking about getting one, and they're a lot cheaper than OEM M-Tech kits.

Drew325ti
04-01-2005, 03:14 PM
I think that it can be patched, sanded, and repainted, but I think that I might just replace the bumber. She hit it right where the bumb shock is.... so I dont know how bad the damage is until I get it off. There is a reason why BMW and other car builders put reverse ligths on their cars!

I got the bumper from Bekkers.com. E36 M3 bumper made from polly urathane for just under $300.... So I might go with that.

cali-ti
04-01-2005, 04:07 PM
at least she didn't hit it hard enough to pop the airbag! wheeew!

fiberglass for the bumpers sounds like a bad idea to me. as you found, too breakable. any pics of the damage?

Drew325ti
04-01-2005, 06:00 PM
I have attached pictures, or you can go to these sites to see them

http://members.roadfly.org/reborn325is/bump1.jpg

http://members.roadfly.org/reborn325is/bump2.jpg

GDB
04-01-2005, 06:37 PM
Damn dude, that sucks. April fools is the worst day to have something like that happen because no one believes you then.

bmw///m3///
04-01-2005, 09:29 PM
judging by pics, thats not too bad but definately a real bummer :ashamed:

Drew325ti
04-01-2005, 09:35 PM
Thanks guys....

As it turns out, the mother is sending me a check for a replacement bumper. I am going to order it from Bekker Imports in Albany Georgia. I am going with the E36 M3 bumper, there just was something about the E46 one that just did not look right on that car.

aceyx
04-01-2005, 10:54 PM
make sure you get money for paint and install too.

Drew325ti
04-01-2005, 11:12 PM
I am going to do the paint and work myself. I still have paint left over from when I painted the bumper the first time.

97Hellrot318ti
04-01-2005, 11:31 PM
Thanks guys....

As it turns out, the mother is sending me a check for a replacement bumper. I am going to order it from Bekker Imports in Albany Georgia. I am going with the E36 M3 bumper, there just was something about the E46 one that just did not look right on that car.

I think you made a good choice going with the e36 one... I don't know if I'd call the e46 one a "bad" choice, it just looks a little out of place on the e36's more angular design, compared to that of the e46. The rounded edges and curves just don't quite match up with our e36s.

aceyx
04-02-2005, 12:57 AM
I am going to do the paint and work myself. I still have paint left over from when I painted the bumper the first time.
yes but you shouldn't have to pay for this yourself.

Drew325ti
04-02-2005, 06:11 PM
Update:

A check has been mailed to my house for the amount to fix the damage. A E36 M3 bumper has been ordered and will be put on next weekend.

97Hellrot318ti
04-03-2005, 02:07 AM
A check has been mailed to my house for the amount to fix the damage. A E36 M3 bumper has been ordered and will be put on next weekend.

Hey I'm thinking about going with the one you went with from Bekkers, let me know how it works out for you, if it seems like OE quality or better like they say. Because it's definitely a great deal. Also, they don't have the mesh, or slatted grill pictured... are you on your own for that?

Drew325ti
04-03-2005, 02:41 AM
Hey I'm thinking about going with the one you went with from Bekkers, let me know how it works out for you, if it seems like OE quality or better like they say. Because it's definitely a great deal. Also, they don't have the mesh, or slatted grill pictured... are you on your own for that?

No, they have the mesh allready in there. It even comes with the lip spoiler on it allready!!! I will let you know how it turns out... stay tuned!

97Hellrot318ti
04-03-2005, 03:03 AM
No, they have the mesh allready in there. It even comes with the lip spoiler on it allready!!! I will let you know how it turns out... stay tuned!

Sweet... I would say it's almost definite I'm going with this over the summer then... much cheaper than OE I was looking at, and I can't justify buying the OEM one when I doubt there is much of a difference at all. I am in desperate need because my stock front spoiler is cracked... not horribly, but it bothers me, lol. Plust it will look much more impressive with the M-Tech rather than the original one.

You don't know where to get splash guards (I believe I'm using the right term... the plastic stuff that goes underneath the engine connecting to the front bumper), by any chance, do you? Mine were trashed in the same freak accident that cracked my front bumper.

Drew325ti
04-03-2005, 05:02 AM
Sweet... I would say it's almost definite I'm going with this over the summer then... much cheaper than OE I was looking at, and I can't justify buying the OEM one when I doubt there is much of a difference at all. I am in desperate need because my stock front spoiler is cracked... not horribly, but it bothers me, lol. Plust it will look much more impressive with the M-Tech rather than the original one.

You don't know where to get splash guards (I believe I'm using the right term... the plastic stuff that goes underneath the engine connecting to the front bumper), by any chance, do you? Mine were trashed in the same freak accident that cracked my front bumper.

I am not sure where to get the splash gards from. I would try Potomac German Auto in St. Augistine, Autobahn in California, or there is a place in Orlando that I can find the name of at the moment. Heck, you can buy a parts car from them if you want.

I just saw on Bekker's website that they have E46 M3 lip spoilers for $29!!!A friend of mine put one on his ti.... and man does it look sweet. Maybe I should through that part into the order and paint it at the same time that I do the bumper.

pdxmotorhead
04-03-2005, 05:17 AM
If you search around you can buy black ABS plastic from plastic shops.
Its not expensive (Like 60 bucks for a 4x8 sheet.) and it forms well with a
heat gun. I use it for building air boxes, under tray guards etc. Even air dams
for track use.

Dave