PDA

View Full Version : What do you recommend for cleaning leather and vinyl

city
04-04-2005, 03:37 AM
What do you recommend as the best leather/vinyl care/cleaner that will really make it look new and soft again?

J!m
04-04-2005, 12:30 PM
You cannot use one product for both leather and plastic. It just isn't a good idea.

I use Vyniltex on plastic, and a damp cloth with a trace of soap on leather.

I've found the best solution is to keep it clean, rather than clean it. I do not allow any drinks other than water, no food of any kind, and absolutely NO SMOKING in the car.

city
04-04-2005, 02:52 PM
I agree my interior is to nice to let something spill on it, I allow drinks, but no food, I keep my car ridiculously clean but Im looking to update my cleaning supplies for my car. aka new ideas on washing/waxing along with the interior products aswell. Im in the market to try something new:)

GDB
04-04-2005, 04:37 PM
well, what would be a good product for leatherette?

96cali
04-04-2005, 04:52 PM
www.leatherique.com (http://www.leatherique.com)

bluebastion
04-04-2005, 04:59 PM
leatherique for leather, not leatherette... as for leatherette... you'd have to find out what the stuff is made out of. I don't think it's made out of any leather (like bonded leather is made)... so I wouldn't use leather products. Supposedly leather needs to be kept at a certain ph balance to stay supple and soft. So, the leather products that actually work aren't what you're looking for. If the leatherette is vinyl based, then by all means I'd say use vinyl stuff. But cutting myself short.... I don't know.

BMWDRIFTER
04-20-2005, 03:48 AM
LEXOL is one of the best products for leather. It leaves a nice natural feel when it soaks in. if you cant find it at parts stores try a shoe repair center.

bmwpwr
04-27-2005, 01:46 PM
Ive always used Lexol and had good results with it. They have a cleaner then I use the conditioner.

DeadpaN
04-27-2005, 04:51 PM
Autosol has a good line of products as well.

GDB
04-27-2005, 06:44 PM
Well I think I found the best cleaner/conditioner for leatherette. The other day at work so I've been trying out several different cleaners and conditioners. I've found that the Black Magic vinyl conditioner (their equivalent of Armor All) will both clean and condition leatherette. Works great and makes the interior smell good (new carish).

M98318ti
04-28-2005, 04:38 AM
the only thing i will use on my is lexol and perma plate best stuff i have used and i have used a lot of stuff

m-technik_ti
04-28-2005, 05:38 AM
Ive been using Meguiars Gold Class Rich Leather Aloe Cleaner & Conditioner for my leather and its probably the best stuff ive found. It adds a light gloss to the leather as well as gets rid of any minor creases/scuff marks and most importantly, it’s a gel rather than a spray, which tends to get everywhere.

aceyx
04-28-2005, 07:21 AM
for scuffs and such i use a mr. clean magic eraser. seriously the thing is tops (at least for motorcycle leathers).

if it's just light dirt i'll just use lexol conditioner, and a fresh side of the towel each time.

bayleys
05-07-2005, 04:24 AM
For the black plastic strip around the outside I've been using Armorall Protectant Wipes - I've used them on the dash too and does make it very shiny. In NZ the wipes come in a yellow top cannister. This really gives the nice black look to the strip which can look a bit faded otherwise.

Cheers

city
05-13-2005, 03:38 PM
Thanks for all the info, I think ill be swinging by the store today to try out a couple of suggestions posted here. Im curious to see how the Mr.Clean Magic Eraser works.

jflip2002
05-29-2005, 05:19 PM
Im new to this site, so I may be a little late with the posting. But I Work at an auto parts store, so I see plenty of cleaning supplies. Ive noticed the best brand for leather, and vinyl is Black Magic. It makes yours tires and leather look like its wet, and doesnt necessarily leave it greasy. But as many others have noted, there is a product for leather, and a product for rubber/vinyl. Itd be recommended to use both.

As for the exterior, I just a gold maguires car wash. But then I use the Dupont Teflon Spray On Wax. You just spray it on, and wipe it off. Then every day when I Get home from work, I wipe it down with the California Car Duster. That way I have to clean it once a week, and I dont even need to do it that much.

city
05-29-2005, 06:36 PM
Im new to this site, so I may be a little late with the posting. But I Work at an auto parts store, so I see plenty of cleaning supplies. Ive noticed the best brand for leather, and vinyl is Black Magic. It makes yours tires and leather look like its wet, and doesnt necessarily leave it greasy. But as many others have noted, there is a product for leather, and a product for rubber/vinyl. Itd be recommended to use both.

As for the exterior, I just a gold maguires car wash. But then I use the Dupont Teflon Spray On Wax. You just spray it on, and wipe it off. Then every day when I Get home from work, I wipe it down with the California Car Duster. That way I have to clean it once a week, and I dont even need to do it that much.

Agreed I use Black Magic Leather & Vinyl Cleaner and the conditioner works wonders.

Morea318
08-12-2005, 10:52 PM
Hi y'all,

am a newbee both to this forum and the US.
Brought my 318ti over from Munich/Germany in oct/2003 where I bought it new and custom-made/ordered in 1997.

My q : what kind of products do y use for

1. clean the interior vinyl parts ?

2. what do y use for protection of interior vinyl parts ?

3. what do y use for the rubber parts like door seals etc. ?

Please help !
am not familiar with US products for my 318

Thank you for your feedback

TYL
11-28-2005, 03:50 AM
Ive always used Lexol and had good results with it. They have a cleaner then I use the conditioner.I used them for the 8 years I had my TI and it kept my leather in perfect shape. :smile:

aceyx
11-28-2005, 09:18 AM
1. clean the interior vinyl parts ?

2. what do y use for protection of interior vinyl parts ?

3. what do y use for the rubber parts like door seals etc. ?

Sorry, it seems I skipped over this post.

1. Water, clean rag. I'll add a drop of woolite if it's really dirty.

2. Vinylex. Or Vinyltex, I forget how it's spelled.

3. Gummi-Pflege (rubber care). BMW doesn't make it anymore. The only place I know that sells similar stuff is Pelican Parts.

Morea318
11-30-2005, 03:10 PM
Thank you !
Will look for the stuff I need asap.
Will check with BMW Munich whether they have rubber care next time I go there.

aceyx
11-30-2005, 07:18 PM
Will check with BMW Munich whether they have rubber care next time I go there.

They discontinued Gummi-Pflege; there are similar products out there though. If you find something let me know, I'd be willing to pick up a tube or two.

Morea318
12-02-2005, 02:45 PM
ok, but it'll be Febr/March, will let you know.

Morea318
12-02-2005, 03:21 PM
sorry, me again.
This topic intrigued me so I just called BMW Munich.
They do not have the rubber care tube any longer - as you mentioned - but a spray now (which I would not take).

Pelicanparts.com is selling the 1 Z (einszett) rubber care stick, 100 ml, which they claim to be UV-"stable"
(I looked at their website).

Guess I'll also go with 1 Z.
I used vaseline in the meantime, since I had to do something (and my car spent 6 weeks in the shipping container).

TroyAndEddie
10-13-2010, 04:14 PM
Y'know, the dealer has great stuff, it being the dealer and all. And honestly, my local stealership prices their cleaning supplies on par with the stuff you can get the auto parts store. I figure if it works for the cars in their showroom, it's game for my ride, too.

roadrash
10-14-2010, 03:38 PM
Wow, resurrection of a nearly 5-year old thread. LOL

saraphee
11-17-2010, 04:29 AM
I find the Meguiar's range of products does it for me. They are also recommended by CCAT ( Classic Car Association fo Thailand)