PDA

View Full Version : Sap?

LeslieRL
04-05-2005, 09:13 AM
Our 381ti has some light gritty feeling clear substance over part of the paint work and adjacent rear window.Neither waxing, hot soapy water, nor turpentine has any affect on it, but it can be removed by scratching with a fingernail, leaving what feels to be the original glossy smooth paint work, and glass. The car was parked under trees for some time, and I have had a problem with tree sap ( or something to do with foliage) some years ago.
Scratching the whole area with my fingernail would be tedious and could be risky.
Has anyone got a solution?

aceyx
04-05-2005, 11:11 AM
clay bar.

i have no idea how it works, but it works.

LeslieRL
04-05-2005, 08:27 PM
What is clay bar?

sKunkman
04-05-2005, 09:33 PM
Special bars of clay made to clean stuff from your paint - every car should be clayed before a major detailing job. I'd say clay would work as well. You can get it from bavauto (i think) or p21s or pretty much any car detailing site/shop.

aceyx
04-06-2005, 02:42 AM
you need a quick-detailing spray in addition to the clay bar. wash the car with dish soap (unscented dial is preferred, palmolive and joy are bad). this will strip the wax, but so will the clay bar.

should come with instructions, relatively simple. if you drop the clay bar, throw it away, it's done. i can vouch for mothers and meguiars, but go as you prefer / is available to you.

LeslieRL
04-06-2005, 06:55 AM
Thanks. I'll try it if, I can get it, in NZ.

LeslieRL
04-10-2005, 02:30 AM
Yes .Clay bar worked lie a charm.