PDA

View Full Version : Stromung vs. Supersprint

97Hellrot318ti
04-05-2005, 06:33 PM
As the summer draws near, a summer which I intend to make very productive for me and my 318ti, I find myself still questioning my decision on which exhaust to use. I started out thinking about BavAuto, but was then persuaded to stromung, and then finally SuperSprint, which I have been strongly considering for a while. But this recent discussion about Stainless vs. Aluminized has given me cause for further concern.

By most accounts I've heard, Supersprint seems to yield the best performance benefits (my primary concern), and Stromung the best (or at least loudest :) ) sound.

I don't know jack about aluminized exhausts, other than people say they're supposed to corrod over time. Yet I haven't heard of people complaining about their supersprints. Anyone else have thoughts on this stuff?

city
04-05-2005, 07:00 PM
This may be bias, but I LOVE my Supersprint. Its got a nice tone that isnt so overwhelming like the Stromung. (which would personally give me a headache after a while) I feel the Supersprint is a lot better perfomance wise and sound wise.

L84THSKY
04-05-2005, 07:21 PM
First off, I doubt anyone has had both types on their car, so you will always have two camps.

As for performance gains, count on neither to provide such extravagancies. :_paper:

The three conclusions you can draw from either muffler are:
1. Which fits better
2. Which sounds better
3. Which uses better materials

As the summer draws near, a summer which I intend to make very productive for me and my 318ti, I find myself still questioning my decision on which exhaust to use. I started out thinking about BavAuto, but was then persuaded to stromung, and then finally SuperSprint, which I have been strongly considering for a while. But this recent discussion about Stainless vs. Aluminized has given me cause for further concern.

By most accounts I've heard, Supersprint seems to yield the best performance benefits (my primary concern), and Stromung the best (or at least loudest :) ) sound.

I don't know jack about aluminized exhausts, other than people say they're supposed to corrod over time. Yet I haven't heard of people complaining about their supersprints. Anyone else have thoughts on this stuff?

mickd
04-06-2005, 12:53 AM
When I first installed the Supersprint cat-back (single tip) in '98 I definitely felt an increase in power starting at 3500 RPM. The reason I chose it was because it was the preferred exhaust from members of the old 318ti mailing list. Here is a link from a post on that board: http://www.unofficialbmw.com/e36/performance/e36_ti_exhaust_test.html
Most members on the board also thought it sounded the best, has a low pitch throaty sound, and wasn't offensive as far as sound level. You can all say what you want, but I love the Supersprint. I know the gains are not great, but the engine just seems to rev easier. And the link above proves there is some gain with the Supersprint.

97Hellrot318ti
04-06-2005, 01:43 AM
As for performance gains, count on neither to provide such extravagancies. :_paper:

Everyone who has SuperSprint has told me they felt a noticable performance increase. No one has said that about Stromung.

mickd
04-06-2005, 02:59 AM
I was curious about the sound of the Stromung exhaust so I watched the videos on the Understeer.com website. I don't think I could live with the loudness of that one day to day. That in car vid was just way too loud, even at idle. The driving videos sound too much like the ricers, don't want my German car to sound like that. Some have said the Supersprint exhaust is quiet, and have compared it to stock. Those who said this must not have had one on their car. It is considerably louder than stock, and gets noticeably louder when you get on it. I really think it fits the character of the 318ti, and BMW's in general, understated when you want it to be, and louder when you are doing some serious driving. From those Stromung vids, I don't think the Stromung fits very well in the opening in the diffuser on M-Tech bumpers, the tip sticks out to far and the round tip doesn't look as good as the rectangular tip on the Supersprint, which fits the opening perfectly, the tip end flush with the diffuser, centered perfectly, like it was designed for the car. It appears the Stromung hangs too low, the tip is too low in the opening, and the rear muffler is really visible from the back of the car, not so with the Supersprint. After watching that video, I'm glad I have the Supersprint, Just my opinion, so don't flame me. If your'e happy with your Stromung, that's all that matters.

dodj
04-06-2005, 03:09 AM
damnit i want a supersprint...

*looks at bank balance.......*

city
04-06-2005, 11:42 AM
I was curious about the sound of the Stromung exhaust so I watched the videos on the Understeer.com website. I don't think I could live with the loudness of that one day to day. That in car vid was just way too loud, even at idle. The driving videos sound too much like the ricers, don't want my German car to sound like that. Some have said the Supersprint exhaust is quiet, and have compared it to stock. Those who said this must not have had one on their car. It is considerably louder than stock, and gets noticeably louder when you get on it. I really think it fits the character of the 318ti, and BMW's in general, understated when you want it to be, and louder when you are doing some serious driving. From those Stromung vids, I don't think the Stromung fits very well in the opening in the diffuser on M-Tech bumpers, the tip sticks out to far and the round tip doesn't look as good as the rectangular tip on the Supersprint, which fits the opening perfectly, the tip end flush with the diffuser, centered perfectly, like it was designed for the car. It appears the Stromung hangs too low, the tip is too low in the opening, and the rear muffler is really visible from the back of the car, not so with the Supersprint. After watching that video, I'm glad I have the Supersprint, Just my opinion, so don't flame me. If your'e happy with your Stromung, that's all that matters.

I forgot about the video's. Good reference, mainly this is all preference but let us know what you decide on hellrot!!

97Hellrot318ti
04-06-2005, 12:56 PM
I forgot about the video's. Good reference, mainly this is all preference but let us know what you decide on hellrot!!

I'm leaning supersprint still, over the summer I'll have a digital so I can finally get some pics up :biggrin:

Thanks for everyone's input so far!

Mendi3
04-06-2005, 04:20 PM
Supersprint all the way! I love it.

I had Stromung and took it out after 2 months of constant headaches (loud). I liked it for the first week but that was it. After this, I bought the Supersprint Catback single tip and absolutely enjot it. Ten months after and I still enjoy it every time I drive my ti.

96cali
04-06-2005, 04:28 PM
I have ridden in Lisa's Ti (Mrs. Understeer) twice. Once when the exhaust was pretty new in 2003 (?) and Chris really stomped on the gas. It was LOUD. I again rode this past January with Lisa driving more civil like and it was just a low burble mostly. Easily carried on a conversation inside the cabin. So take it for what it's worth.....:_paper:

GDB
04-06-2005, 05:53 PM
I have ridden in Lisa's Ti (Mrs. Understeer) twice. Once when the exhaust was pretty new in 2003 (?) and Chris really stomped on the gas. It was LOUD. I again rode this past January with Lisa driving more civil like and it was just a low burble mostly. Easily carried on a conversation inside the cabin. So take it for what it's worth.....:_paper:

Does it sound comparable to the sound in the videos? The videos don't really do the sound any favors IMO, but I'd like to hear a comparison between the sound in person and on the videos.