PDA

View Full Version : Service manuals

dodj
04-05-2005, 11:57 PM
Hi, I have noticed some users talking about manuals that help you service your own car.

I would like to try and start doing some of the work myself, but I am a complete mechanical noob.

Are there manuals that can be purchased and if so, from where?

bmwhartgeM3
04-14-2005, 01:15 AM
bently manuals are really good with that kinda stuff. u can find them just about anywhere, there pricey at 50 but def worth it, covers just about everything. bavauto.com carries them

dodj
04-14-2005, 01:19 AM
thanks!

cali-ti
04-14-2005, 02:39 AM
yep, bentley manual, 3 series 92-98. i was thinking about getting the z3 bentley manual too since the 3 series one doesn't seem to have a lot of ti specific stuff for the rear of the car. either z3 or e30 3 series (series before ours). haynes may or may not be worthwhile, i don't have it myself.

aceyx
04-14-2005, 03:20 AM
i've found that the combination of the ETK/TIS/haynes manual does me just fine.

in starting work yourself, do you have someone to help you? it's much cheaper to have it done right the first time, then to have to pay to fix what you botched. most is pretty simple, if you're mechanically inclined.

tools, as far as i'm concerned, are an investment (if you keep them in your garage, make sure they're insured). many people do fine with craftsman, i have a combination of stanley/stanley-proto/facom. make sure you use the right tool for the job; it makes it a lot easier, and you're less likely to break something. also, a pair of mechanics gloves is very nice.

what specifically do you want to do?

dodj
04-14-2005, 03:25 AM
my dad has tools and he could help me.
just servicing my own car.

cali-ti
04-14-2005, 06:39 AM
aceyx, where did you get the TIS? i bought a version of the ETK on cd-rom, but no TIS :( what all is covered in the TIS?

SaberCreator
10-05-2009, 08:41 PM
i've found that the combination of the ETK/TIS/haynes manual does me just fine.

I've heard about the Haynes manual, but what are the ETK and TIS manuals? I'm looking to buy a BMW 318ti in January and I want to be able to do as much of the work on it myself as possible.