PDA

View Full Version : How loose is your rear?

maurolin
04-06-2005, 04:39 AM
so here's the dilema...

when I take a sharp turn on a windy road, I feel a lot of drift. the CAR"S
rear wants to get loose... it's fun.. but not what I am looking for as I will be tracking this car.

I don't want to rip my tires by coming out of the turn smoking them in order to keep them somewhat straight like i have been doing...
is anyone experiencing this problem???

I am used to the handling and steering from my 4 door M3, and this is really making me upset. I know the wheel base is shorter.. but will it make such difference?

pdxmotorhead
04-06-2005, 04:51 AM
Your rear shocks or springs are too tight,
or your front shock/springs are too soft.
Or your rear sway bar is too stiff.

I recomend the book "Tune To win" Carrol smith. Or any of the chassis
design books. Youll be amased at how much you don't have to spend to
make a car handle.

Dave

BMWDRIFTER
04-06-2005, 06:18 AM
The e36 rear suspension has a lot more grip than the e30 design in the ti. With the power you have the back will always be loose no matter what spring setup you have. The wheel base is the same as the coupe M3. very few cars ever built have the balance and grip off the corner as the M3's.

mickd
04-06-2005, 06:38 AM
maurolin, youv'e got too much power! Kidding aside, you should get in touch with Active Autowerke and see if you can coax the setup of the ti that won it's class in the '99 One Lap of America out of them. It would probably be close to your setup with the M52 in a '95 chassis, there's was a turbocharged M50 in a '95 w/465hp, 12 sec 1/4. This has to be the fastest street legal ti. It had to have been able to corner to take 3rd overall and 1st place mid price sedan class. 1st place overall was a Mosler Raptor, 2nd was a Lamborghini Diablo. They do give a pretty detailed description of all the components used on the car. http://www.activeautowerke.com/cars/One%20Lap%20318%20Tii/default.asp

maurolin
04-06-2005, 04:30 PM
Dave, Thanks for the tips and suggestion about the book.. I'll be ON IT today..
I guess I am just still TOO scared to take a turn on the Ti like I do on the M... so I need to go to the next Autocross and bust my ass or something!.

That's funny... That car's owner is a guy I know here in Tampa... he is on this boards.. Jared. His car is sick. I did look at the suspension, and he had FK coils and rD sways... but he also had 256/35/19 on a 10" wide BBS rim!

M3 lower control arms with M3 bushings

K&W TypeII adjustable shock coilover suspension

Special H&R springs, with above & align for corner weight

RD swaybars front & rear

BBS CH 19 x 8.5(f), 19 x 9.5(r) w/ Yokohama AVS Sport 245 & 265/30 (new

mischief
04-08-2005, 03:36 AM
there is something wrong becouse i have a sweet setup on my car and it stiff
i take turns fast and the back feels fine.

i think you have to much neg camber the more you lower your car and more neg and the less tire tire is touching the road.
i lowerd the front more then 2.5 inch
and the rear 1.0 any lower i would of had some bad tire wear and really bad handling