PDA

View Full Version : To Ti or not to Ti?

#1Son&BMW
04-06-2005, 11:11 AM
I'm currently looking to buy my sons first car and came across several ti's in AutoTrader and car.com. I really like the style and size of the ti and think it would be a great first car for my son Zach. Being a dad I'm trying to teach him some responsibility and making him pay part of the cost, so I'm looking for a ti around $4500 - $5500.

I found two on AutoTrader, one is a 96 for $4500 and has 133000 miles on it. From what I can tell from the pictures it looks like it's in good shape. The second one is a 97 for $5600 and has 152,000 miles on it. This one looks like it's in great shape and has the M package, I think that's what they call it. Is the mileage to high on these cars for the price? Should I be concerned about maintenance problems and needing to replace things because of the high mileage? I don't want my son to have to sink a lot of money into the car right after we buy it. My other concern is maintenance cost.

As I mentioned above, I really like the ti's and would appreciate any advise or thoughts before we buy one.

1996 328ti
04-06-2005, 12:45 PM
I don't think mileage is an issue if the car has been maintained.
The ti is prone to no more problems than any other BMW which is to say there aren't really a lot of problems. Lately many of us have been experiencing a problem with the window. YMMV. I presonally like the style of the Sport. That is the one with the M package. Better seats and suspension. Have a BMW mechanic do a preinspection.