PDA

View Full Version : Oil Consumption?

ultralinear
04-06-2005, 04:08 PM
Wondering how often some of you need to add oil to your ti? Do you find that the M44 "uses" oil by design or not?

GDB
04-06-2005, 05:48 PM
I haven't changed my oil since I got my leak fixed so I can't say for certain, but the M44 should not be consuming any significant ammount of oil. It is normal to have less oil come out than what you put in but it should definately not consume more than a quart between changes.

madfronter
04-06-2005, 06:40 PM
It would be wise to check your oil level every week or so and change your oil every 3000 miles.

GDB
04-07-2005, 01:34 AM
3k seems kinda early to change oil, especially if you're running synthetic.

Boxbrownie
04-11-2005, 03:16 PM
Uses no oil between roughly 8K changes.

Best regards David

madfronter
04-11-2005, 03:39 PM
3000k isnt too early to change your oil in my opinion. I think it is beneficial to the motor. Plus 3000 miles/3months is the norm for changing your cars oil. Maybe my car will last longer then you guys changing your oil beyond 3000 miles. I look at is as my own life insurance for my car.

Boxbrownie
04-11-2005, 05:32 PM
Hi madfronter, it may be the norm on the states but not here in europe, usually its just according to service schedule which on my new Focus C-max is 12K and the BM is obviously governed by the service indicator lights but occurs at about 8K intervals, and quite frankly with the quality of oil available now days 3K is way too cautious, but then its your car, you do what feels right of course. With some cars and synth oils some oil change intervals are up to 20K.....
Whole life is determined to be around 150K, thats what is determined as worse case life expectancy, so you can add another 50-100K onto that with regular servicing and no short cuts.

Best regards David

J!m
04-11-2005, 08:54 PM
The M44 uses oil. I was warned to kep a close eye on it when I took delivery of my car new, and mine did use oil. The S32 uses less oil, but it too uses oil a bit.

So, check it every time you fill up with fuel and keep a quart in the trunk just in case.

As far as change intervals go, I change 1/2 way through the lights (roughly 4K miles) and at the lights. I run Mobil-1 15W-50 in the S32 motor, and I ran 20W-50 fossil oil in the M44 with similar change intervals. I only drive the car in the non-snow/ice months, so the 'heavy' oil was never a problem. If I drove it year 'round I'd probably go with a full synthetic 10W-40 in the winter months, even if I ran Mobilsaurus Rex oil in the summer.

L84THSKY
04-11-2005, 09:00 PM
Alot of people were saying that there car doesn't use any oil. I was almost deterred from commenting on my car. My car uses oil, but does not leak. When I happened to look at it, about 2-3 months after changing it, I did see it was low.

Bottom line, like Jim says, check it routinely, don't assume your car is too good to consume oil.

The M44 uses oil. I was warned to kep a close eye on it when I took delivery of my car new, and mine did use oil. The S32 uses less oil, but it too uses oil a bit.

hotdog19d
04-11-2005, 10:17 PM
Both my TI's have used oilm the m42 and m44. It is the norm for BMW's, including M3's.

ultralinear
04-12-2005, 12:18 AM
Thanks...that's what I figured: It appears that the M44 does like to use a bit of oil. This does not surprise me. Quite a few BMW engines are designed to scavenge a bit more oil via their OC rings than is typical.

Thanks to the last couple posters who confirmed what I had suspected...gotta keep your eye on the old dipstick!