PDA

View Full Version : Rear shock tower brace for a ti?

Fender
04-07-2005, 02:09 PM
I just installed HR racing springs, Bilsteins, and a front strut brace. Does anyone make the rear shock brace? I ordered one from BMP design, but they called back and said they NO LONGER MAKE IT. I'm told the shock towers can use the extra stability.

Anyone know a where to find a rear brace?

Viper3812
04-07-2005, 02:19 PM
I heard that you can use an Active Autowerks bar and customize the fitting. I think Maurolin did it to his ti.

KIRASIR
04-07-2005, 05:58 PM
Don't waste your money, the rear brace is useless. Get a pair of swaybars instead.

SL

I just installed HR racing springs, Bilsteins, and a front strut brace. Does anyone make the rear shock brace? I ordered one from BMP design, but they called back and said they NO LONGER MAKE IT. I'm told the shock towers can use the extra stability.

Anyone know a where to find a rear brace?

GDB
04-07-2005, 07:34 PM
Don't waste your money, the rear brace is useless. Get a pair of swaybars instead.

SL

What he said, a bar won't do anything to help shocks. Besides, the rear end already likes to come loose on these cars, stiffening the rear suspension will only exagerate the problem.

maurolin
04-07-2005, 11:04 PM
yeah... here's my pic DURING INSTALLATION.

http://baybimmers.dtdns.net/Project%20332Ti1/rear%20bar.jpg

marcus2116
04-08-2005, 01:58 AM
i disagree with the idea that sway bars should be chosen over a strut tower brace they are 2 completly different things that serve 2 completly different functions

cali-ti
04-08-2005, 03:32 AM
www.strongstrut.com ... look for the rear strut for a z3 (affectionately called a "butt strut"). heard this piece is very good and probably does more than a shock tower brace would.

maurolin
04-08-2005, 03:36 AM
ohh yeah! top and bottom reinforcement. but people always go for the easy one..

marcus2116
04-08-2005, 03:37 AM
yeah i wanna get thay butt brace

KIRASIR
04-08-2005, 01:48 PM
Sure, they are different but what are you trying to archive in the end?

Better handling or better looks?

Rear strut brace does ABSOLUTELY NOTHING in a ti, while the sway bars make a huge difference (especially if your car is a base or an active model).

In the end it's your money.

SL

i disagree with the idea that sway bars should be chosen over a strut tower brace they are 2 completly different things that serve 2 completly different functions

KIRASIR
04-08-2005, 01:50 PM
The "butt strut" works really well but it has two main disadvantages:
price and ground clearance.

SL

www.strongstrut.com (http://www.strongstrut.com/) ... look for the rear strut for a z3 (affectionately called a "butt strut"). heard this piece is very good and probably does more than a shock tower brace would.

Fender
04-08-2005, 08:31 PM
I want the brace for added stability to the shock towers. I've seen some gnarly pictures of blown out rear towers and I'd like to avoid that.

But - $350 is too much, so I might be rethinking this.

Thanks very much to Maurilin for the picture!

cali-ti
04-08-2005, 10:52 PM
are you worried about the top of the shock towers ripping out? there are reinforcements for that it that's what you're most worried about. way cheaper than $350 too :)

aceyx
04-08-2005, 11:17 PM
two main disadvantages:
price and ground clearance.

likewise, a tower strut has two main disadvantages:
low effectiveness, and losing usefulness of the hatch.

maurolin; would you mind resizing that, to maybe 640x480 or a thumb pointing to the full size?

maurolin
04-08-2005, 11:39 PM
How do I do that thumb thing? i need the full size as i am hosting those pics form my FTP.

An AA bar is like $125. Also on ebay you can find some for like $40 non brand.

Look into ROTORA they make AWESOME ONES TOO

Fender
04-14-2005, 10:33 PM
AC Schnitzer Would have been $350 minimum.
JT Designs brace was $230.
JT's brace seemed a little stronger.

I got the brace for 2 reasons:
1. The brace reinforces the tower by bolting onto it from overtop.
2. The brace ties the two towers together which adds additional rigidity.

There's no doubt in my mind that the rear tires will break loose faster now. That's a sacrafice I'm willing to make - I think! The braces are being installed next week.

Maurolin: How much difference did you get with the brace? Noticable or theoretical?

maurolin
04-15-2005, 01:08 AM
theoretical. the car is too light on the rear... and SOME roll I think would gove it a bit more stability on turns... I will let you know the final deliveration after May 14th when I track the car for the first time. right now it is in the shop getting s port and polish, bigger valves and cams.

Fender
04-19-2005, 06:57 PM
I'm very happy with the results. If the rear lets loose sooner, I sure can't notice. The car is very predictable in corners though. I can feel everything that's going on at road level. Not sure if that makes sense.

I like that there's less movement in the chasis. That's the punchline.

Thanks for your input everyone - especially Maurolin. Good luck with the Port and Polish!