PDA

View Full Version : Rarity of California Roof?

Bryce Ludwig
04-08-2005, 06:10 AM
I have liked the 318ti on and off since it came out. I am possibly going to be buying a car in a year, and would like something RWD, practical, and that is somewhat sporting. Theoretically, a Miata would fit this definition (practical in many ways, but not in terms of interior space), as would a regular e36 3 series (spacious). I am very much a hatchback man, however, I am also a convertible man too. So how rare is a California roofed, 5 speed car? Especially if I wish to exclude red absolutely, and preferrably black as well? Did the Cali roof come only with leather, or was it available with cloth too (if so, how does the cloth hold up)?

If I were to buy a ti, it would end up being my daily driver. So reliability and servicibility are important. A friend of mine has a '94 325i sedan, and he does fluid changes, and has done brakes and common things like that. How hard is the 318ti to work on? I'm a competent DIY mechanic, and I've worked on my own vehicles plenty. That said, I don't want to end up with something like my Lancia Zagato that is the one of the hardest vehicles to work on (space and access issues) that I've ever encountered. What are parts prices for some routine consumable items (brake rotors, pads, air & oil filters, belts, etc)? What are the problem areas of this particular car? Which are easy fixes, and which are deal breakers? Also, feel free to add any other information I would need.

thanks,
Bryce

cali-ti
04-08-2005, 11:54 AM
i'm not sure how many california packages were sold, but i know we have a fair number of people with them on these boards (including me). hopefully you live in a state where you could use it more often than i'm able to. i would have to dredge up my original window sticker to find out if leather was part of the cali package or a separate item.

the 318ti should be very similar to your friend's 325 in term of serviceability. some things are going to be a pain to access, some things will be very easy to access. your routine maintenance items are generally very easy. for the most part, they are a pleasure to work on.

common failures: read around on the boards, taking a look into each of the maintenance areas (misc, engine, suspension, etc) to get an idea of what people are having to replace. couple things off the top of my head would be window regulators (and the little plastic clips that hold the window), ball joints, and rear upper shock mounts. people also complain to some degree about bmw rubber seals (doors, hood, sunroof, trunk). keep up with maintaining those so they don't deteriorate.

i've owned mine since about ... 300 miles (purchased 10/12/96). it now has 207k. i had some issues under warranty (shifting issue going into second gear, cam position sensor, cd changer problems [i hate alpine, imho that changer is a PoS!], cali top leak), but other than that, i've had few problems. other things that i remember over the car's 9 year life ... door lock actuator, ball joints (replaced with solid metal ones), window regulator (failed after i hit a deer on that side of the car which dented somewhat the driver's side door along with shearing the mirror off), passenger side halfshaft popped out of the diff (mechanic said he has NEVER seen this on the e36's while it's fairly common on ... 2002's or some other model, i forget), and now i have a fuel smell and a water leak (possibly in the cali top) that i'm tracking down. that said, i will admit i have NOT been doing routine maintenance like i should have been. do your routine maintenance and your 318ti will be your loyal friend. i didn't and mine still was anyway. i've never been stranded anywhere due to a failure.

1996 328ti
04-08-2005, 12:16 PM
I think the California Rood Edition started in 1997 and later was just an option. That being said you could see an open air roof with leather if the previous owner ordered it that way. All BMWs are custom ordered unlike some other companies where you can get a couple different preset packages with little choice of options.

cali-ti
04-08-2005, 01:14 PM
steven's comment fired a synapse in my brain ... if you're going to get a cali top, try to get a later model one which has the air deflector in the front (pops up when you open the top). mine (build date of 05/1996) does NOT have this and it doesn't look like a whole lot of fun to attempt to retrofit it.

GDB
04-08-2005, 02:42 PM
1996 was the only year of the California Package, I think ~600 were made. But after that it was just an option that you could get, like a CD changer, and add to any car. I know the 96 Cali editions all have leatherette (leather look alike stuff). There may be some Cali tops with cloth seating, but I don't remember ever seeing one.

Overall they are very reliable cars that arn't that expensive for the consumable items. BMW air filters are ~$15 and oil filters are ~$5, so its nothing outrageous.

Bryce Ludwig
04-08-2005, 05:20 PM
Thanks for the replies. Has anyone else had problems with the California roof leaking? I have owned a couple of convertibles, a Fiat Spider and my Lancia Zagato which is my off and on project car, and I had no leakage, so leakage on a much newer car worries me a bit.

As I said, I've always liked the idea of the 318ti, and particularly with the large sunroof. I'm in the Kansas City area at present, so I would have about 6 months where it was usable, but I'm moving to Houston in a couple years so I'll have even more opportunities to enjoy the open roof.

I'm not a huge fan of leather in hot weather, for pretty obvious reasons, but I could live with it if I had to. Like I said, it's going to be about a year (maybe a bit more) before I am going to be ready to buy another car.

GDB
04-08-2005, 05:24 PM
I haven't had any problems with my top leaking, nor have I heard or any. I think since the door isn't dragging against the seals, like it does on a vert. is a major part of why it doesnt' leak.

1996 328ti
04-08-2005, 06:15 PM
steven's comment fired a synapse in my brain ... if you're going to get a cali top, try to get a later model one which has the air deflector in the front (pops up when you open the top). mine (build date of 05/1996) does NOT have this and it doesn't look like a whole lot of fun to attempt to retrofit it.My early build 1998 had the pop up wind deflector although you can retrofit previous years.

96cali
04-08-2005, 07:34 PM
I don't know about cali top production numbers but they seem to be getting more rare than when I bought mine used in 2002. And autos clearly out number manuals too. This is from the 2001 Roundel:

Introduced Stateside in January 1995 at $19,900, the 318ti Compact sold best in 1996 ($ 21,130) at 7,238 units, slipping under 4,000 U. S. sales annually in 1998. 318ti sales measured in mere hundreds (656) for 1999 at $23,870 a copy.

The "California Package" was available only in 1996 and came with sand grey cloth interior, black leather steering wheel and shifter, black cloth headliner/pillars, 15" alloys. All leather was an upgrade as were fogs and traction control I think. Mine has the grey cloth and looks like new, even the piping along the edges. Of course my car has 64K miles and tint as well so that helps. The cali roof became optional after 1996 on all Ti's.

My Ti has been the most reliable, fun, economical to own, unique car I could ask for. My only desire would be AWD in winter.

rendoll911
04-08-2005, 07:49 PM
since my car before my ti was a miata, i know a little about both of them. first off i LOVED my miata but really if you need to travel anywhere or carry anything with you it can be very uncomfortable. But the miata was very reliable and had few electronics that could go bad. On the other hand the 318ti has the same characteristics that the miata has but just a little less sport influenced, but with more and more convenient. Also this may sound weird but the miata was actaully a pretty good winter driver if there wasnt more than 3 inches on the ground since it is so balanced.

GDB
04-09-2005, 01:47 AM
I don't know about cali top production numbers but they seem to be getting more rare than when I bought mine used in 2002. And autos clearly out number manuals too. This is from the 2001 Roundel:

Introduced Stateside in January 1995 at $19,900, the 318ti Compact sold best in 1996 ($ 21,130) at 7,238 units, slipping under 4,000 U. S. sales annually in 1998. 318ti sales measured in mere hundreds (656) for 1999 at $23,870 a copy.

The "California Package" was available only in 1996 and came with sand grey cloth interior, black leather steering wheel and shifter, black cloth headliner/pillars, 15" alloys. All leather was an upgrade as were fogs and traction control I think. Mine has the grey cloth and looks like new, even the piping along the edges. Of course my car has 64K miles and tint as well so that helps. The cali roof became optional after 1996 on all Ti's.

My Ti has been the most reliable, fun, economical to own, unique car I could ask for. My only desire would be AWD in winter.

What kind of shift knob is that in your car? It looks good.

Bryce Ludwig
04-09-2005, 04:14 PM
Also this may sound weird but the miata was actaully a pretty good winter driver if there wasnt more than 3 inches on the ground since it is so balanced.

My Fiat Spider was the same way, it had good tires, and the weight was well distributed. The only problem I ever had was getting up my parents' driveway, because it is a somewhat steep incline and was always sheeted in ice. I did put a little ballast in the rear and managed to get up the icy slope.

96cali
04-11-2005, 06:18 PM
What kind of shift knob is that in your car? It looks good.

Thanks for noticing- it was a fantastic upgrade from the stock pleather boot and worn knob. Got it from Nikis-place.com. Came from Belgium, cost about $95 with the boot. Fantastic quality. Illuminated, slightly smaller than stock, just enough to feel. Don't know if they're still around though. I added an OEM leather brake boot and handle too.

cali-ti
04-12-2005, 06:27 PM
btw, to potentially settle the original poster's mind about the cali top leaking ... it was raining today and i finally found the leak ... driver's side rear window (water is actually dripping from the window latch, odd. thank God it's not the top! :) a silver lining in the very cloudy sky i'm now dealing with.

austinpeif
04-19-2005, 11:22 PM
talking about drving the ti in the snow, my ti was very surprising with the traction control. it was almost like normal driving for the most part. my car before this was a 325iX, so i couldnt honestly say how bmws are in the snow normally. my ti did great

blue318ticali
09-23-2013, 07:13 PM
Reviving an old thread, my ti with the Cali roof is blue with cloth seats, gray interior and automatic. I haven't seen hardly any with that combo. Am I alone? Lok

~1997 mustang cobra
~1997 BMW M3 sedan
-1996 BMW 318ti California roof
-2005 pontiac vibe

eeyore-ns
10-26-2013, 03:08 PM
Enjoyed my '98 with Cali roof. Very few in Canada but still quite practical for our short summers. Leatherett interior still looks as good as leather and easier to keep so. Part of roof mechanism broke about 3 years ago and has been unserviceable since ($ and repair know how low) Some evidence of water seepage into headliner along side of roof., but never seen water entering Did quite a lot of simple mtce things and Forum add-ons. They often give v good guidance.
With an E46 and heretic GTI, I have to decide if I can afford to keep / fix the ti. Tough decision

David wright
06-11-2015, 12:11 AM
Having come across this thread, notwithstanding the nature of the thread, does anyone in the uk know of an open air limited edition for sale? Ive desperately been looking for a well cared for example with low mileage for sale, however this model seems to be so immensely rare that all of my endeavours have come to nothing. Is it really so rare?

eeyore-ns
06-11-2015, 01:52 AM
My understanding is that the Cal-Roof 318Ti's were only sold in North America, last model year being 1999.

BlackBMWs
06-11-2015, 04:06 AM
David, there is a nice red one for sale in Chicago if you could import in into Wales. :cool:

David wright
06-11-2015, 09:38 PM
Hi thanks for the reply. I saw a right hand drive in black driving around a few weeks ago and it renewed my interest. They were sold in Europe but I don't know what the numbers are. The one I saw looked very cool, but it's the only one I've ever seen at all. It had style 86 alloys which looked stunning. Thanks for the U.S. Comments. As far as the Cali is concerned I think it's a very small world. Goodness knows how much they cost. I haven't seen one for sale let alone compare prices.

BlackBMWs
06-12-2015, 03:52 AM
I think I've seen maybe 5-6 over the few months for sale in the states, including a pristine one in Palm Desert, CA. Few in the previous two years. I suspect the tops break and folks don't know how to repair them.

Definitely need to know what you're about to get into. I have been in contact with two members in Europe with Open tops. Mallard and MR-bear. they have posted here on fixes and contributed.

They are in Europe. Just not very many according to Kitty. :cool:

joe1602
06-12-2015, 03:24 PM
I guess I will weigh in here. I think they are pretty rare. My son (teen ti) has told me the production for 99 was only around 650 (yes 656 as posted earlier), and that of those produced in 99 very few had a 5-speed and most were automatics, fewer still had the 5-speed and the cali roof. I believe they all came with leather/cloth 2 tone type seats. He seemed to think that there were fewer than 200 that were made with the 5 speed cali combination. Knowing that these were few and far between, when one presented itself to me 3 years ago, sitting in a field in upstate New York, I jumped and jumped fast. I have never seen one in my area before or since. There are ti's, but no cali's and no M-Technik ones. I tell my neighbor who has a 1M, ours may not be worth as much, but it is more exclusive than his! My wife cant understand why I like it so much and why it has to stay in the garage. If you can find them, try to pick them up.

David wright
06-12-2015, 09:43 PM
I agree that if I find one I will snap it up. Even if the roof hasn't been maintained I don't mind a long term project. It's an interesting car and the rarity makes it more elusive. I was glad to see a rhd version because I thought they were all lhd, as most seem to be in either the U.S. Or Germany. Anyone have any ideas on what a good one would cost to buy? I haven't a clue what they command, but as several of you have seen them for sale in the U.S. Maybe you have more of an idea. What was the top spec? Did they do individual models or larger engine options? Sorry for all the questions. You guys seem fairly knowledgeable because there's so little information out there. I guess they are a good investment for the future - the hunt begins... Lhd would be my second choice if there aren't any rhd's out there

BlackBMWs
06-12-2015, 10:52 PM
So I have a 98 sport with the Cali top option. It is Dinan chipped, Supersprint exhaust, heated seats, cruise control, OBC, M3 twisty side skirts, BMW CD-43 radio upgrade with DICE interface, Countours with 70% tires, new custom car cover and in really clean condition for $4900. It came with every maintenance record since it was purchased, a bunch of magazines and books, aux emergency tool kit and a great condition 318ti baseball cap.

It did have a broken top motor and a broken, but functioning top.

$300 to fix top and motor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

David wright
06-12-2015, 11:14 PM
Sounds a lot less than I expected a Cali to be. Sounds like you've spent a lot on it too! Sounds very nice. I'm guessing it's auto with cruise control, and was really hoping for a manual. Seems like a steal at that price - I honestly thought it would be thousands more than that forgetting that I am thinking in pounds and not dollars. In the U.S. Is there a general under appreciation for the Cali because of the smaller engine? I know v8's and power cars are popular in the states . I can't believe that I could get my hands on one for that kind of money - got me thinking that if I could live with a lhd it would be more within my reach than I expected. Not that I really knew what to expect in the first place. Thanks for that

E36 TI-M
06-13-2015, 02:40 AM
Iv been waiting for a clean calitop to pop up as well. Wife wants one! Red in particular

Right now i have a slick top and standard sunroof. The cali top would complete my collection :)

BlackBMWs
06-13-2015, 07:36 AM
Sounds a lot less than I expected a Cali to be. Sounds like you've spent a lot on it too! Sounds very nice. I'm guessing it's auto with cruise control, and was really hoping for a manual. Seems like a steal at that price - I honestly thought it would be thousands more than that forgetting that I am thinking in pounds and not dollars. In the U.S. Is there a general under appreciation for the Cali because of the smaller engine? I know v8's and power cars are popular in the states . I can't believe that I could get my hands on one for that kind of money - got me thinking that if I could live with a lhd it would be more within my reach than I expected. Not that I really knew what to expect in the first place. Thanks for that

Auto?, Nah... It's a 5 speed. :biggrin:

I have a few mods invested since picking it up. CA Coilovers, Mason front and rear braces, x brace, HID/AE light conversion, 3.45 small case LSD, Stromung exhaust, Viper alarm with remote start, radar, 328i vented front brakes, 525i rear brakes, Hawk HD+ brake pads, SS brake lines, BT Alpine head unit, M3 Mirrors, Z3 three spoke steering wheel, center armrest and in-car forward camera.

Rides firm, but drives great! :cool:

BlackBMWs
06-13-2015, 07:44 AM
Iv been waiting for a clean calitop to pop up as well. Wife wants one! Red in particular

Right now i have a slick top and standard sunroof. The cali top would complete my collection :)

John, there is a red one for sale in Sacramento. a 96 that needs a little TLC. I spoke with the owner, great guy, torn about whether he should sell it or not. :cool:

E36 TI-M
06-13-2015, 08:24 AM
John, there is a red one for sale in Sacramento. a 96 that needs a little TLC. I spoke with the owner, great guy, torn about whether he should sell it or not. :cool:

is this the automatic with the "100K on new motor?" you know the story on motor?

E36 TI-M
06-13-2015, 08:35 AM
here is a 99 cali top on ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-3-Series-M-/141686879927?forcerrptr=true&hash=item20fd3236b7&item=141686879927

GEEEZZ 10 grand??? :eek:

BlackBMWs
06-13-2015, 08:41 AM
If it's Tony's, he's a VW mechanic and the Cali is his DD. haha! 100k is not a new motor. Don't know much or remember about the motor. I would remember if he mentioned anything dysfunctional. I recall some of the items that needed some love. It's been a few months since we last spoke.

David wright
06-13-2015, 02:36 PM
Yes 10k in any currency wouldn't surprise me. But it's auto with a basic interior. Hhmm...

roadrash
06-13-2015, 02:39 PM
That looks like a Sport interior to me.

David wright
06-13-2015, 02:45 PM
Yes. Nice profile, but half leather. I'd love to see a completely original full leather in something a bit special. Surely there's some out there in Estoril Blue with Oyster leather or 2 tone, maybe even individual...

BlackBMWs
06-13-2015, 04:15 PM
I actually have grown to appreciate the half leather. It was 110 degrees here in Sacramento yesterday and the half leather keeps from burning my bum. [emoji12] Just not enough bolster to hold you in the seat during spirited driving.

I have full leather Vaders in my 97 TI and that gets a bit warm.

David wright
06-13-2015, 05:06 PM
Yeah I suppose you have a point. Sometimes the cloth can be better. Found this on the E34 especially, because the cloth was like a velvety texture and was just more comfortable and never got hot in the summer.

I don't plan to use (potentially) a Cali as a dd. going to wrap it up and use it for summer use which in Wales is about 7 days a year

Sweepy
06-14-2015, 01:09 PM
There are Cali roofed ti's in the uk buddy I got one by lucky chance I'm told only around 1200 built tho

David wright
06-14-2015, 01:38 PM
I saw one a few weeks back and I really liked it. First rhd I've ever seen. It re surged my interest in them. I understand less than that in the UK. Maybe less than 100. Keep hold of it because they are better than money in the bank. Hoping to find one myself to enjoy. But this whole rarity issue has been an issue. Rhd versions are extremely rare and if they are manual, even rarer still. Finding an individual would be a rarer proposition still, but I know there's one out there somewhere...

BlackBMWs
06-14-2015, 03:33 PM
Good luck in your search David. It took me three years and four previous TIs before I found mine. Called immediately and didn't haggle on the price, as I knew its rarity. I've been happy with it ever since.

Well, a little less yesterday as I suspect the temp control Bowden cable gave way and stuck in heater mode on a 200km jaunt back from San Francisco on a hot day with Wifie. Had the top fully open, got her a frozen drink and all was well on the trip back.

I will remedy that today among orher bits on various cars.

Regards. [emoji41]

David wright
06-14-2015, 04:34 PM
Thanks for everyone's advice. Will keep you updated if I find one!!

jonw1973
11-13-2015, 11:32 PM
Hi David

Just bought one off eBay, I have been looking for 5 years to find one in the UK with 318Ti spec and decent mileage.

Good luck with your search.

Jon

Greg C
04-25-2016, 07:06 PM
So parts are still readily available to service them? I have come across one that the owner says leaks. Needs a new head gasket, but I have a M50 and 5 speed that I am going to replace it with anyway. Just want to make sure the top can still be serviced before I pull the trigger.

BlackBMWs
04-25-2016, 07:31 PM
Hi Greg! I recently got a roof seal for the top from Germany. Took 3-4 weeks but was available. Also have obtained various parts as needed. All back ordered from Germany.

jonw1973
01-13-2017, 07:13 PM
Unfortunately for sale uk 2000 318ti Cali Top

batmite
02-21-2017, 10:41 AM
I was lucky and just found another Cali-top TI here in the bay area ~ now I have 2! :P

digitalat
03-18-2020, 07:53 AM
I saw one a few weeks back and I really liked it. First rhd I've ever seen. It re surged my interest in them. I understand less than that in the UK. Maybe less than 100. Keep hold of it because they are better than money in the bank. Hoping to find one myself to enjoy. But this whole rarity issue has been an issue. Rhd versions are extremely rare and if they are manual, even rarer still. Finding an individual would be a rarer proposition still, but I know there's one out there somewhere...

I have an individual Calitop RHD, automatic, 9km... showroom condition, all stock, always garaged... interested?

digitalat
03-18-2020, 08:02 AM
I have an individual Calitop RHD, automatic, 9km... showroom condition, all stock, always garaged... interested?

Daytona Purple

FunElan
03-18-2020, 05:38 PM
Daytona Purple

I think we'd all love to see pics of this car.

digitalat
03-18-2020, 08:00 PM
http://www.318ti.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=17842&stc=1&d=1584557894

digitalat
03-18-2020, 08:11 PM
pic...

http://www.318ti.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=17845&stc=1&d=1584558639

digitalat
03-18-2020, 08:14 PM
pic

http://www.318ti.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=17846&stc=1&d=1584558862

digitalat
03-18-2020, 08:20 PM
pic

http://www.318ti.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=17847&stc=1&d=1584559201

digitalat
03-18-2020, 08:32 PM
various

http://www.318ti.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=17848&stc=1&d=1584559947

digitalat
03-18-2020, 08:34 PM
various 2

http://www.318ti.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=17849&stc=1&d=1584560029

caffeinekid
03-23-2020, 02:04 AM
various 2

http://www.318ti.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=17849&stc=1&d=1584560029
Man, that's gorgeous. Where in Texas is it?

digitalat
03-23-2020, 03:41 AM
Thank you! Japan. Its an m42, 1995... so finally ready for import...