PDA

View Full Version : e-brake cable wearing through brake hose - neato!

cali-ti
04-12-2005, 04:49 AM
well, it appears that due to a failed e-brake cable holder, the e-brake cable was wearing through my driver's side hydraulic line! i'd already ordered new hoses all around as a over 200k mile preventative maintenance (when i install new brakes all around), but now i need e-brake cable (cut, scored by broken holder and wearing on hose) and holder(s) too! my luck just keeps getting better and better :rolleyes:

in the pics: green = broken e-brake cable holder, red = e-brake cable, yellow is wear area

i had a short piece of new fuel line hose which i sliced down one side and tie wrapped around the worn spot on the brake hose until, God willing, i can get everything replaced. however, i noticed the e-brake cable holders don't have a part number in the ETK :blink: does anyone have a clue what PN these would be? from what i can tell, they're #11 in the diagram here:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=CG73&mospid=47506&prod=19960500&btnr=34_0709&hg=34&fg=30

sKunkman
04-12-2005, 09:39 PM
Hmm....doh!

Do you need that brake cable holder? Will it affect your car if its loose?

cali-ti
04-12-2005, 11:54 PM
it's loose now and it's causing the parking brake cable to wear against (eventually THROUGH) the hydraulic line for the rear caliper. i need the holder or something that will perform the same function asap.

cali-ti
04-14-2005, 06:30 AM
there is another clip of the same type that is bolted to the end link mount that attaches to the trailing arm. i removed this, cobbled together something to hold the parking brake cable at that point and took that piece to a local bmw dealer near my work. they needed to order the part. 50 cents each (no part number provided ... yet); i had them order 10. supposed to be in next week and i'll see if it's actually the right part. here's a pic of the tab and the clip itself. i got brave enough to remove it from the tab. fortune smiled on me and it didn't break taking it off ... amazing! :p

i ordered all the other cables, bits'n'pieces from my usual source, crevier bmw in CA. hopefully everything will be here by friday 22 april.

cali-ti
04-20-2005, 11:40 PM
got my "pipe clamps" (official part name) today. bmw part # is 35-51-1-161-876 if anyone else ever needs to order them. they are NOT listed in the ETK.