PDA

View Full Version : link for M3 sways?

sikbrik
04-12-2005, 07:27 PM
How different is the M3 front bar? I mean, with a custom link, could the M3 piece mount to the ti control arm? I understand that it mounts to the strut but the mounting points don't look that far from each other (eyeballing, of course.)
Is it just plain too wide? Anybody ever considered anything like this? I don't need M3 brakes up front...it's my wife's daily driver...but she complains about body roll on exit ramps, etc. I figure a stock M Roadster bar out back and M3 bar up front would be a nice upgrade but I haven't heard of anyone trying the M3 bar without the complete suspension upgrade.

Any help!? Fabricators? Racers? Fellow Cheapos...

Thanks.
Mike

cali-ti
04-12-2005, 09:22 PM
why not just aftermarket sways?

ZeroG
04-12-2005, 10:06 PM
How different is the M3 front bar? I mean, with a custom link, could the M3 piece mount to the ti control arm? I understand that it mounts to the strut but the mounting points don't look that far from each other (eyeballing, of course.)
Is it just plain too wide? Anybody ever considered anything like this? I don't need M3 brakes up front...it's my wife's daily driver...but she complains about body roll on exit ramps, etc. I figure a stock M Roadster bar out back and M3 bar up front would be a nice upgrade but I haven't heard of anyone trying the M3 bar without the complete suspension upgrade.

Any help!? Fabricators? Racers? Fellow Cheapos...

Thanks.
Mike

I think that it just might bolt up. The chassis of a 318 TI and a 4 door M3 are the same in the front. The M3 just attaches it to the strut because it is "better" for racing I guess. The only thing that is different that I know of is the diameter of the bar.

-Chad

KIRASIR
04-13-2005, 12:22 AM
M3 front sway bar is thinner than your current swaybar, so unless you can attach it to the struts, this upgrade is useless for you.

SL

I think that it just might bolt up. The chassis of a 318 TI and a 4 door M3 are the same in the front. The M3 just attaches it to the strut because it is "better" for racing I guess. The only thing that is different that I know of is the diameter of the bar.

-Chad

sikbrik
04-13-2005, 12:49 AM
why not just aftermarket sways?

Hmmm...good point. I'm cheap. That's my only reasonable answer to that question! :ashamed:

Good points about the bar being thinner, though. You're right...it makes no sense to mount a thinner bar to the same place. I guess the M3 makes use of a shorter "twist" arm so the thinner bar not only saves weight but does a better job in less space.

So at this point I guess aftermarket sways are the way to go rather than a complete M3 suspension upgrade since I already admitted to being a cheapo! :no:

cali-ti
04-13-2005, 01:03 AM
lol ... it's ok man. you could ask L84thsky about his upgrade to the "m-tech" sway bars that were offered on the sport version of the 318ti. don't think they're a whole lot bigger, but he could provide you more details about the effect they had after installing them (with polyurethane bushings). be careful with the rear tabs where they mount to the trailing arms though if you go to poly bushings.

sikbrik
04-13-2005, 01:32 PM
Yep...good idea. Thanks again!

L84THSKY
04-14-2005, 06:04 PM
Get some used M-tech sways, like I did, from another Ti.
Here is a pic comparing the standard ones and the m-tech.

http://www.geocities.com/l84thsky/sways.JPG

Hmmm...good point. I'm cheap. That's my only reasonable answer to that question! :ashamed:

Good points about the bar being thinner, though. You're right...it makes no sense to mount a thinner bar to the same place. I guess the M3 makes use of a shorter "twist" arm so the thinner bar not only saves weight but does a better job in less space.

So at this point I guess aftermarket sways are the way to go rather than a complete M3 suspension upgrade since I already admitted to being a cheapo! :no:

sikbrik
04-14-2005, 06:13 PM
Get some used M-tech sways, like I did, from another Ti.
Here is a pic comparing the standard ones and the m-tech.

http://www.geocities.com/l84thsky/sways.JPG

Did you notice a big difference? Are you running stock suspension otherwise? We've got an active / non-sport '97 ti with 16" Z3 optional alloys and 205/60/16's. Now that the tires don't roll as much as our 15" did and we have better grip, the body lean is really exaggerated.

Keep in mind our other car is a Protege5...that thing is dead flat in turns, handles great but also runs low profile tires and FWD Japanese cars are pretty easy to turn anyway! Maybe we're just expecting too much from the bimmer?

L84THSKY
04-14-2005, 06:56 PM
I have a stock suspension, other than the mods I mentioned. The car definitely felt firmer and tighter after my mods, but can't say for sure what percentage of improvement each mod made by themselves.

Did you notice a big difference? Are you running stock suspension otherwise? We've got an active / non-sport '97 ti with 16" Z3 optional alloys and 205/60/16's. Now that the tires don't roll as much as our 15" did and we have better grip, the body lean is really exaggerated.

Keep in mind our other car is a Protege5...that thing is dead flat in turns, handles great but also runs low profile tires and FWD Japanese cars are pretty easy to turn anyway! Maybe we're just expecting too much from the bimmer?

96cali
04-15-2005, 03:57 PM
How about a pair of Koni Sport adjustables up front?