PDA

View Full Version : Rear wiper failed...help?

Boxbrownie
04-15-2005, 07:23 AM
Hi,
My rear wiper has ceased to operate, the funny thing is if I hold the stalk forward or give it several pushes forward occasionally it will work. I assume it can't be a fuse or the thing would not work at all, I know how to operate it properly and I have tried the key off then try again method!
I can only assume its some kind of electrickery problem in a black box/chip somewhere, has anybody had a similar problem....and found an answer of course!

Best regards David

city
04-15-2005, 03:48 PM
could possibly be the rear wiper motor is an the verge of death?

cali-ti
04-15-2005, 04:03 PM
contacts/connections corroded/loose? i hate intermittend failures ... fail or don't! :p

Boxbrownie
04-15-2005, 06:50 PM
Exactly, I had a quick look tonight at all the fuses and relays but all seem ok, I am sure it is something to do with the column switch as I can sometimes get it to work, as I did tonight by jiggling with the switch a lot.......so if it stops raining, I will take a look under the column shrouds this weekend.

Best regards David

aceyx
04-15-2005, 10:00 PM
sounds like a dirty switch. if you can get at the part, it's an easy fix, just bend the contacts back if you need to, and clean them with an eraser to get the oxidation off.

you can also just wiggle the stalk a lot to clean the contacts, but this isn't as effective.

cali-ti
04-16-2005, 01:17 AM
aaahhh, the old eraser trick. used it on the contacts on memory DIMMs too :) have fun erasing your problems away boxbrownie :p

Boxbrownie
04-16-2005, 11:18 AM
Just about to pop out now and do it, the suns shining today, clear skies and it gets me away from decorating the study! LOL

Report in later!

Best regards David

Boxbrownie
04-16-2005, 11:38 AM
hmm all seems to easy.......a quick squirt of electrical contact cleaner and lubricant into the switch and bingo....Bob's your uncle...it works!

Only time will tell.......I do like aerosol engineering LOL

Best regards David

cali-ti
04-16-2005, 03:31 PM
hehe ... glad the fix was easy, that seems to happen so rarely, enjoy it when you get an easy one ;) now you'll have to wait for more rain to enjoy your work, lol

Boxbrownie
04-17-2005, 08:04 PM
Yeah, but I never trust the easy fixes....just waiting for the next time now!

I should have gone to a BMW main stealer and had it fixed......they could have used the same contact cleaner only charged me £80-£100 per hour for pressing the nozzle! LOL

Best regards David