PDA

View Full Version : Trouble Starting/mystery part

KdCass
04-16-2005, 04:59 AM
The starter will fire then just wheeez or spin, try it enough times it will start.
Car starts better when pumping the gas.

Seems to me and based on what I've reaserched here and on bimmer forums. It would be the starter or solenoid, maybe both.

BUT there is a whining/buzzy noise coming from a part i cant seem to identify for sure. Its a valve relay or somthing of that sort on the intake manifold just after the last rubber part of the intake. Maybe idel control vale? It 'buzzez' and changes tones when tapped. It buzzez if the key is in the accesory position as well as while running. This could be normal, :rolleyes: hopeing you guys can tell me.

Another thing that leads me to belive its not the starter is how pumping the gas make the starter hold and crank the engine.

I ran into a random person at the grocery store who had a 95 157k with a slightly less frequent but same problem. He has tried a mechanic and a dealer. Mechanic said it wasnt the starter, dealer couldn't duplicate the problem.

Any input is apprecaiated

-Dave 98 116k active

aceyx
04-16-2005, 05:57 AM
use realoem.com to see if you can identify the part.

is the problem associated with cold starts as well? what part of the country do you live in?

nix
04-16-2005, 06:53 AM
i have the same problem...can't seem to figure it out as well...

to answer the other question...no it doesn't seem to happen on cold starts...

cali-ti
04-16-2005, 03:14 PM
believe the buzzing/whining is normal ... or at least i have it as well (hopefully others will speak up, i have only my experience). i've had very occasional issues with hot starts where the starter cranks but it doesn't want to fire. i remember in my previous vehicle, holding the pedal down would actually provide easier starting in the case of fuel system being flooded, perhaps this is what's happening?

KdCass
04-16-2005, 05:14 PM
I checked realoem couldn't find it. I think the starting problem is the connection from the battery to the solenoid. Im going to get under her tommorow and see if there is corosion i can clean.

Im in st. louis, mo and spring just arrived.

Id say its harder on cold starts, but thats because cars start easier when warm. :rolleyes: It still does the same thing warm or cold. Push starts really easliy.

This problem got bad after I had a vacum leak and cranked on it for a whille, until I figured out the vacum leek was there. :?

So you gents also have the buzzing from the uhh part? And the same problem as me? We need to veryfiy if someone has the buzz and no prob. :caffine: BTW the buzz on mine can bee heard from inside car with hood closed and windows open.

-Dave

nix
04-16-2005, 06:56 PM
u know what...now i remember...I heard that buzzing sound when my battery went totally dead and i had to replace it...I haven't noticed it since then....

KdCass
04-20-2005, 07:06 PM
Update, the car is starting fine now....well always by second try. I didn't do anything.

For a few days I was parking on hills and push starting. :ashamed:

It starts first try if I turn it on but then dont crank till a little time goes by. As its cranking one pump on the gas. Vroooom..

Whining sound is still there.

Well im sure it will act up again. But for now it works!

-Dave