PDA

View Full Version : E-brake how it works/noise,...

canadian_ti
04-19-2005, 10:12 PM
As I had posted yesterday I pinpointed the sound coming from me driver's side rear wheel, it's coming from the e-brake. I was just wondering how the mechanism works, is it something that makes contact with the inside of my rotors or does it lock up my brake pads? If I can understand how it works, I can probably figure out how to fix it. And also is the e-brake mechanism a part that wears off after a long time and needs to be replaced? I also noticed that it only sqweaks when I drive the car forward, when I back up it dosen't sqweak. Does this have anything to do with the rotors at all??
I'm in a crisis here,.. the noise is driving me crazy!
Thanks,

cali-ti
04-19-2005, 11:24 PM
see the links/diagrams i sent yesterday. the parking break is separate from the normal braking system. there are drums inside the rear rotors (both sides) that exert force onto the inside of the rotor when the parking brake is engaged. this mechanism can be adjusted using the adjuster screw. anything can and will wear out. you'll most likely need to take it apart to see what's happening. i (hopefully) will be doing this myself this weekend (joy joy).

canadian_ti
04-19-2005, 11:28 PM
Thanks for the help. I printed the diagrams and it wasn't all clear in my head now I understand it perfectly. Now I just have to get the shop teacher to help me out because I need an impact wrench to remove the caliper. I attempted to remove it myself in my garage but an impact is what I really need!

aceyx
04-19-2005, 11:54 PM
use a penetrating spray (DO NOT GET ANY ON THE ROTORS/FRICTION MATERIAL). the calipers bolts shouldn't be that difficult to remove.

breaker bar or a length of pipe over the wrench for more leverage at the most is all you need.

BMWDRIFTER
04-20-2005, 03:55 AM
make sure you have the new parts when you take it apart. its a lot of work if you have to do it twice. they are bad about one shoe coming loose and getting worn sideways. and get a hardware kit because something broke to cause it to rattle